Skip to content

FA Cup 1st Round

Comments

• @TRM must echo the thoughts of others, the Stourbridge game was a great cup tie and your boys done good!

• Just to add to the excellent info from @TRM...

Assuming we get given the same part of the ground as Hartlepool did earlier this season, it'll be a covered terrace (known as the Draintech end) and a temporary seated stand which runs a third of the way down one side and which I think is uncovered (I couldn't see it from where I was in the ground). There's also a temporary covered seated stand but I doubt we'd get that as well.

• Some other info for those thinking of making the trip.

There’s parking at the ground but it does tend to fill up quickly. Once that’s gone, it’s street parking though the only real choice is on the road that the ground is on and it can be a free-for-all.

Nearest railway station is actually Birmingham International - which also means flying to the game is an option - though Solihull station is obviously more convenient from HW. Neither station are close/convenient so it’s a taxi ride.

There is a bar at the ground but I’ve no idea if it’ll be open to us. Other options are Solihull town centre - has the usual ‘spoons and O’Neills - or Birmingham city centre for those wanting ‘proper’ pubs. There are some bars near Birmingham International but I doubt they’re football-friendly.

Food options at the ground are usually limited so it may be best to eat away from the ground as well.

Ask away if there’s anything else you want to know.

• Just a thought I thiught for years that they were called Solihull Motors. As did a few of my mates only changed my view a couple of seasons ago.

• cant honestly say I have given Solihull (club or town) anymore thought than strictly necessary for many a year, Mr woodlands.

The exotic sounding name comes about apparently as the club is a merger between Solihull Borough and Moor Green. A rather boring explanation leaving a somewhat disappointing anti-climatic feeling. As such rather appropriate name perhaps for Solihull's football team.

• Let's hope so, @DevC

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41683919

The BBC never seem to venture far from their Salford base for their live FA Cup matches.
    Are Hyde the same club that we cruelly lost to in the FA Trophy ??

• Lowest ranked club at home to league opposition. Not an unreasonable choice to be fair, wouldn't you say Mr Middle, Sir.

• @woodlands said:
    Just a thought I thiught for years that they were called Solihull Motors. As did a few of my mates only changed my view a couple of seasons ago.

It's maybe not that far from reality. The ground is next door to the Land Rover factory and there are rumours that they want the land for further expansion.

• Who do? Land Rover or the football club?
    I think I just put a hoodoo on them.

• @micra said:
    Who do? Land Rover or the football club?
    I think I just put a hoodoo on them.

It's the car company that are planning on roving and acquiring Moor(s) land...

• It's pretty horrible whenever the franchise are chosen

Was not nice to see the Hyde players celebrating or the chairman saying what a great draw it was

Oh well

• They were called Solihull Borough in between motors and Moors up to till 2007.

• its a fantastic draw for them and the fact they are on TV, Milton Keynes Dons are here to stay and its about time some very sad people on this board put up and shut up.

• Thinks of some very sad people on this board who need to shut up...

• Mmmmmmm. No, can’t think of any.
    Oh, yes, of course. In a curiously strange way, I’d quite like to know more about that shadowy person who reveals so little about themselves.

• From some of the profile pictures that I've seen, it's already revealed too much @micra. I would hazard a guess that they were lifted from some gay website?

• edited October 2017

@rmjlondon said:
    its a fantastic draw for them and the fact they are on TV, Milton Keynes Dons are here to stay and its about time some very sad people on this board put up and shut up.

Part of me thinks f••• off you franchise loving spongemonkey

• @Morris_Ital - Can I take it that you won't be accepting Richie's kind offer of free tickets to join him in the best seats at MK's next game?

• richie has 'never missed' a Blues game in the last 100 years.

• @mooneyman said:
    Morris_Ital - Can I take it that you won't be accepting Richie's kind offer of free tickets to join him in the best seats at MK's next game?

@mooneyman no, him and Winkleman his fwanchise fwend can both do one

• "put up and shut up"

Anyone have the faintest clue what he is talking about?

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    It's maybe not that far from reality. The ground is next door to the Land Rover factory and there are rumours that they want the land for further expansion.

I think a chunk of their income comes from renting out the car park to JLR employees.

• TRMTRM
    edited October 2017

@M3G said:
    They were called Solihull Borough in between motors and Moors up to till 2007.

They were never called "Motors". I suspect that myth has come from various media misprints down the years.

Technically Borough and Moors are different (but connected) clubs. As has been mentioned elsewhere, Solihull Borough and Moor Green merged to form Solihull Moors.

Moor Green had a lovely little ground in the Hall Green area with a picturebook wooden stand behind one goal (it used to be on the halfway line until the pitch was turned 90 degrees). Solihull ground-shared there for several years out of convenience, having climbed through the local leagues with a ground that they didn't develop to keep pace.

However, the land had prime value and the stand became the subject of arson attacks, so a merger was, if not inevitable, then a fairly obvious solution. Borough had already moved out by then to develop their own ground (the current one) which I think had previously been used as a golf driving range. I may be mistaken but I think the covered terrace at the car park end is from the original driving range.

• @TRM I believe you're right about JLR using the car park; the Moors fans I've talked to seem resigned to being moved on to pastures new at some point. The ground is indeed a former golf driving range and the 'home' terrace is made from the tee area.

On Moor Green's ground, they moved the pitch through 90 degrees when they got floodlights. Supposedly it was a condition of being allowed them that they were (a) able to be lowered when not in use and (b) that they didn't shine directly into too many of the houses around the ground.

• Hi All. Moors fan here. To clarify a few points. Ned is broadly right although not sure how the uncovered seating wasn't seen. It is clearly visible from all parts of the ground. Away fans will be very welcome in the bar. There will be a burger van and a pig roast available to eat. Parking can be tricky although if arrive an hour before kick off you should get in the car park. The largest attendance we have ever had was 3 weeks ago not against York but Hartlepool. It wasn't swelled by the pool. They bought 350 but there was a lot of community work that day so free tickets given out. I would expect the attendance to be about 2k or just over. Very much look forward to welcoming you all. Dave

• Nice post I like it ...

• Thanks for the warm welcome, Dave. Looking forward to coming up.

• Hi all,
    Just to confirm some of the information being mentioned, mainly by a Stourbridge fan?
    1300 tickets allocated. There's a covered stand behind the goal which holds 600 with two seating stands on either side (one is covered, one is not - I'd say about 200 seats are covered).

There's 3 bars in the club, with one being an away supporters only bar when we segregate. Many clubs have put Solihull as one of the better away games, Lincoln and Tranmere couldn't speak highly enough of our hospitality so I would hope you will receive the same.

Train into Solihull or Birmingham International, taxi from either station is about £7.

Parking is limited, so arrive early but avoid parking on the main road outside the ground as parking tickets will be dished out. I'd imagine they'll be out in force with a big crowd expected.

We were called Solihull Motors because there was a team called Vauxhall Motors who were in the same league when we were formed, a mistake that was regularly repeated and still pops up now and again!

JLR want our ground, but until they provide another ground somewhere else we're not moving. They're just building all around us.

We stayed up by more than our skin of our teeth last season, but this season we've got very little chance I'm afraid. Less money, means not good enough players. Hopefully Dickie Dosh will have a go at keeping us up.

Interesting to see the attendance now it's on a Sunday, hopefully a few more Birmingham/villa fans will come as they're playing on the Saturday. I'd hazard a guess at 2500.

Safe trip all.