Skip to content

FA Cup 1st Round

Comments

• Great draw that! Solihull isn't too far, and if it's Ossett then there's a good chance it'll be on the telly.

• Ossett for me

• Solihull ground holds 4,300, Ossett is just shy of 2,000, so plenty of opportunity for the club to mess up our ticket allocation!

• is it just me but I find our inability to organise sensible ticket allocations strangely reassuring and a link back to our true, amateur, roots

• Maybe someone at the club should google ticket allocation methodology?

• @Blue_since_1990 ouch - that hurt! (Nice one)

• Only joking bookertease.

• I thought it apt Blue.

• I doubt either game will sell out.

• Not a chance. Ossett rarely get above 200 and Saturdays gate at Solihull was just 415. Solihull recod gate is only 2600. Population of Ossett is some 16,000 in a rugby league heartland.

• Every true Wycombe supporter will be there

• I'm sure whichever stadium it's in will be full, don't you think? People develop a sudden affinity for their local club in these circumstances, don't they?

• I also wouldn't take too much notice of the capacity at Solihull they have had serious issues with the council about even being able to use the ground at the start of the season and I think capacity is limited to a lower number than 4,300

• Why are people quoting average attendance?
    Since when has average attendance been relevant when a big cup game comes up?

Osset are hardly going to whop us 1,000 tickets just because they usually only get 200.

Most likely it'll be Solihull though, and we'll get plenty enough to satisfy our wants.

• If it is Solihull, we will most likely be initially offered around a 1,000 based on how they usually segregate.

As a guide, Moors’ home FA Cup game against Yeovil last year attracted 1,500. That was a Tuesday night though and we should take more than Yeovil did.

• Substantially moor.

• sadly with a mooron or two to let the side down.

• I wonder if Moorton Harket is a celebrity fan

• Malone. Solihull game would be 1500 top. Christ, we would be lucky to sell 500 for Ossett! Reality check needed.

• We are kind of a big deal these days.

• Solihull it is then. Hope it's televised.

• Even if it's not picked for live coverage it seems very likely to get moved to the Sunday, assuming the BBC still do that 'FA Cup special' programme where they have cameras at a bunch of grounds and cut around them, showing the goals, etc.

• Afternoon, Wycombe people! It's your friendly Stourbridge fan here again!

Thought you might like some info on Solihull, being as they are fairly local to us...

The ground is pretty basic as National League goes, probably one of the smallest in the Division. Only their second season at that level, and most of the improvements they have made to comply with the increased grading have a slightly "temporary" feel. It's more than adequate for NL North/South but definitely a proper Non-League ground rather than a "Tranmere" or a "York".

Crowds are small by National League standards, but have grown a little in the last few seasons. Their bigger attendances (eg. 2,500-plus v York recently are heavily swelled by visiting support).

They also have three players in their squad who played for us at Wycombe last season. Kristian Green was our left-back that day and joined them within a couple of weeks. Good player, easily capable of cutting it at that level and in the team most weeks, although I noticed he didn't play last night at Ossett.

Luke Benbow (centre forward) and Chris Lait (blond winger) joined them in the summer. However, Benbow seems to have fallen out of favour and hasn't played for a few weeks (persistent rumours he will be back with us soon), and Lait was injured last season and I don't think he's fit yet. He certainly hasn't played at all this season.

They also took Tom Tonks (our long throw merchant) in the summer but he's since come back to us.

Their recently-departed manager, Liam McDonald, joined them around this time last season and brought in a lot of players from our level. It just about worked as they avoided the drop by the skin of their teeth (which was probably the best they could hope for competing against some much bigger clubs). No improvement this season, so he was eased out two or three weeks ago and you probably know that Richard Money has replaced him.

I'd expect to see some turnover of players between now and 4th November, having had a change of manager, but the tricky bit for them will be finding enough who aren't Cup tied.

I can't claim we have any particular rivalry with them. They aren't really on our doorstep and we've rarely played them even in minor Cup ties. I ought to root for the Non-League underdogs, but I have good memories of last season, so I'll be on your side if anything.

All the best!

• Thanks - a useful bit of info

• Yes, thanks TRM. Dan Scarr had a rare start last night and I gather he performed well enough although it was disappointing to concede three. We've been very tight at the back in recent seasons but we are playing much more entertaining football and scoring quite freely so it's swings and roundabouts.

• I didn't realise Richard Money, formerly of Cambridge, is now their manager.

• Pleased to hear Dan's doing well. He was at most of our games until he joined you - with Birmingham's U23s he mostly played midweek. "Proper" football is what he needs at his stage of development, not academy stuff.

One more thing - It will obviously be segregated at Solihull. Don't expect any cover!

• edited October 2017

I see Solihull got thrashed 9-0 at home earlier this year in the League by Tranmere.

The record attendance is 2658.

• Thanks TRM - I know Wycombe fans have very fond memories of Stourbridge and your fans from last season. Still ranks as one of the best cup games at Adams Park in recent years, with an atmosphere to match.

• Great day out MDH, needless to say!

Sadly, we didn't make it this season. Got through three Qualifying Rounds but fell at the last on Saturday, beaten 0-5 at home by Macclesfield Town. If we had to go, then at least we can say it was at the hands of the best team in the competition (at this stage) - Macc being top of the National League right now.