Skip to content

Eze

Comments

• There was a lot of poor passing from Sam, which needed him to dash about trying to retrieve situations he created, but I'm sure with more game time we'll be treated to Passageddon from the midfield.

• Dev, I thought Eze got his foot in quite well as it goes, as does Saunders.

We dominated the midfield on Tuesday so I'd have no concerns about picking the same 3 again. Possession stats of 57% would also suggest we did alright when we had to get the ball back. Players aren't either one thing or the other, they can do different things

• You were there (I presume), I wasn't. Which is why I asked.

Genuinely would you have the same view of Saturdays team if we hadn't scored two late goals?

• @Devc I would, I thought we were dangerous for the whole game, had a multitude of chances and the fact that we dug in and retrieved the situation was down to the players on the pitch for the whole 90

• Genuinely, yes. I thought we were the better side and would have left annoyed at the poor defending that had cost us but encouraged by how we had played.

That's more or less how I felt after the Luton match as well.

As I said, I'd bring Stewart back into the side if he's fit. Of course I don't know of any little knocks that players might be carrying that need resting, but excitingly we're in a position where whichever side we pick from midfield forwards we'll have to leave out good players.

That's a good position to be in and is vital for a sustained challenge across a gruelling 46 match league season. So if Gaz decided to let Bean sit one out and bring in Gape or 09, or do likewise with Saunders then I wouldn't be outraged. Similarly if he wanted Tyson to sit one out for PCH.

In Gaz I trust

• fair enough, Eric

Maybe you'll win our bet this season. Lets hope so.

• fingers crossed

Wycombe still best price 9/2 to win promotion (as low as 11/4 with one bookmaker)

• @Vital said:
    We've been crying out for a midfielder like Eze for a while now. He's attack minded, comfortable in possession and links play with a great range of passing.

We're lucky to have him and I'd play him every time until we have to give him back.

Heartily agree. Also, as someone else (?eric) commented, he does "get his foot in" in defensive areas - he loves to scrap for the ball against two or three opposition players - and he'll happily shoot on sight from 20 yards out. He had a rasping effort fly a foot or two over the bar in the first half and hit the bar with a similar rasper in the second half. Enjoy his skills and pace (physical and mental) while we can.

• As I mentioned elsewhere...he may need to work on his defensive work, but at least twice he dispossessed someone and actually took the ball on to an attack rather than just hoofing it upfield or kicking it out of play...great to see. His passing was better than Sam's on Tuesday. Not afraid to take on players. I would play him as much as we can. I think once everyone has worked out each other's game we are going to be very dangerous on the break.

• edited September 2017

I have yet to see Eze play but is he really so good that people are advocating playing him ahead of Saunders, whom we all assured ourselves is one of the best (if not the best) playmaker in League Two and whom few of us could believe Ainsworth managed to secure in January?

With O'Nien and Bloomfield out but Gape hopefully now recovered it seems likely we'll have a midfield trio of Bean, Gape and one of Eze or Saunders for the next few matches. With three excellent strikers all now hitting form (and PCH waiting in the wings to come back) I'd say we need the attacking midfielder behind them most likely to chip in with assists. Surely that's Saunders?

• Thanks for the tip Eric. To be honest I am feeling a bit insecure with exposure to the bet, so I have laid it off and with a bit of clever arbitrage on betfair, cost me £12.50 to cover my £80 exposure.

So good news is
    If we don't go up charity gets £20 you are down £20 me £12.50
    if we go up charity gets £80 I'm down £12.50 you are level

I can now cheer on wins without thinking about potential £80 cost!

• @aloysius Aren't we lucky we've got two passing midfielders for a long old season. It's a case of either or for me...I'd like to exploit EZE while we have him, but I would be happy whichever one played. Eze played a bit better than Sam on Tuesday for me...but SS is coming back from injury lay-off and it does not hurt to have a bit of competition in the squad. Does it now?

• Where possible I would play Eze for 60 minutes or so and then replace him with Saunders for the last 30. That way they can both work harder for their limited time on the pitch. Obviously injuries during the game may effect this plan.

• Yes I'd definitely start Eze Crewe are a perfectly capable side at this level but couldn't handle him

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gape, O Nien and one of Eze/Saunders would be my choice.

Bean and Bloomfield are good squad players as well. Rowe of course hopefully will come back in at some stage.
    That's some decent options.

• @Malone said:
    Gape, O Nien and one of Eze/Saunders would be my choice.

Bean and Bloomfield are good squad players as well. Rowe of course hopefully will come back in at some stage.
    That's some decent options.

O'Nein injured, Bean playing really well so gets it over Gape, Eze is a joy to watch so worth the ticket price alone , Saunders for the other slot if training has found a better way of him combining with Eze, Gap to replace Sam with twenty to go to close the game out.
    Oh and Barnet are big which must explain Stewart being rested so fit for Saturday? Surely El Abd wont be on the starting team sheet ?

• that was before Scarr got injured.

• @eric_plant said:
    fingers crossed

Wycombe still best price 9/2 to win promotion (as low as 11/4 with one bookmaker)

Shouldn't broadcast it as I work for a bookies but Forest Green are still 7/4 to be relegated. Unless they invest heavily in January that is a cracking price

• That is indeed an excellent price, and an excellent tip

• Barnet are big, but if Akinde is out that takes one huge unit out!

• @Dickie I agree that looks a decent price as things stand, but I'd suspect that FGR will quickly improve once they've sacked Cooper.

• Forest Green's owner is worth well over £100m so I suspect he will be spending some pocket money in January!

• Can't afford a steak pie, though.

• Cripes, that's some recipe. Feeds 10? Must be miniscule portions with a pound of Quorn and 16 other bits and bobs. I'm stikking to pucka.

• I totally agree Vital. However, against a side like Barnet who are likely to pack their midfield, I would not play Saunders alongside Eze.

• But we did and it worked a treat! Sam is the wiser and they are both tricky characters, if adze can lower his centre of gravity and stay up against big defenders he will go far. Freeman showed him how it was done for the third.

• I'd hazard a guess that Eberechi Eze will go far without lowering his centre of gravity. Nick Freeman is several years older than him as well as being taller and probably physically stronger. And, rightly or wrongly, I thought Eze was fouled a couple of times whilst in full flight. Taken out, as it were.

• We did and we won so proved me wrong maybe. I don’t mind being proven wrong if we win.