Skip to content

Transfer speculation

Comments

• I don't want a marquee signing. I want any improvements to improve on a squad that didn't get us over the line last year.

Whilst last-season had the cup-run, and some joyous Akinfenwa moments, I think everyone would agree that the style of play at times, left much to be desired. I'm simply surprised that we've not brought in a few players to help us out.

• I think we'll see a lot more movement once the Pierre situation (and therefore funds) is resolved, and Premier League teams finalize their 25 man squads.

• Did someone just use the phrase "marquee" signing talking about league 2.DOFL

• An Aldi Gazebo signing then?

• Didn't Aldi Gazebo play for the Moroccan national team?

• Malone said:
    Did someone just use the phrase "marquee" signing talking about league 2.DOFL

Your condescension is really coming along well. We're all very proud of you.

• @Malone I hold my hand up as I used it first so I could make a weak joke/pun on John Marquis/marquee. I could not shoehorn postcodes into the thread you see.

• edited July 2017

@drcongo, thanks bigboy. Take it easy though, saw your little sweary outburst elsewhere, i'm worried about you.

• @Wendoverman, that's more like it. Bayo and Saunders were exciting transfers, but i'm exceptionally realistic about where we sit in the scheme of things!

• Now Pierre has decided to join the cobblers, we may see the cash ring fenced for him spent on strengthening the squad. My feeling though is that with Howard now poking his nose into player recruitment, that we will not see much movement at all.

• Hope I am wrong!

• You're probably right @Blue_since_1990 what interest would he have in helping Gareth have a successful season?

• Maybe he will sign a motor racing driver?

• Was the money available for Pierre not simply used for El-Abd?

Surely whatever we publicly said, you'd imagine we only signed him based on Pierre's camp saying he definitely wasn't staying

• I'd like to think @Wendoverman is right. I actually think @Malone is closer to the truth. Be pleasantly surprised if there was much money left in the pot.

• I stopped reading after 'I'd like to think @Wendoverman is right.' @HCblue Everything after that was bound to be a let-down!

• @HCblue there has to be a lot more money in the pot. We've lost Thompson and Weston, both likely to be at the top-end of our wage scale (If Hayes is Chris Evans and Saunders is Gary Lineker, they're probably Graham Norton and Jeremy Vine). And I suspect Pierre and Wood were both in the Claudia Winkleman / John Humphreys territory.

In other words, we've replaced four big salaries with one. There has to be money left over for more signings.

• don't see why we couldn't keep pierre for at least another year he joined Northampton hardly a big step up surely with debt paid off and transfer monies etc we should have a better player budget this season .

• We offered him a decent contract by all accounts @trevor he decided he did not want to stay. Not allowed to keep people who want to go. Haven't seen the books so cannot comment on the budget.

• @trevor said:
    don't see why we couldn't keep pierre

He was out of contract. If you need help with any other extremely difficult concepts, like "how does 2+2 = 4?", or "how do I clean drool from my keyboard?" then just let us know.

• @drcongo said:
    He was out of contract. If you need help with any other extremely difficult concepts, like "how does 2+2 = 4?", or "how do I clean drool from my keyboard?" then just let us know.

No need to be dam rude is there idiot

• Pierre was always going to leave once his contract was up. He simply didn't see us providing him with the ability to fulfil his ambitions.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Pierre was always going to leave once his contract was up. He simply didn't see us providing him with the ability to fulfil his ambitions.

Lack of ambition from fans and the club basicly.

• @trevor said:
    No need to be dam rude is there idiot

Awwww bless.

• George Stokes would be, to my mind, the living embodiment of ambition in a fan.

• So ambitious he's actually a Chelsea fan?

• Anyone of that stature fancying their chances against Pierre can't lack ambition.

• I'm an ambitious fan, me. Though I would not try and take on AP however mammoth a sesssssh I had undertaken beforehand.

• I'm still not sure how you are assessing the lack of ambition of the fans @trevor? Nobody pays over 300 nicker if they don't want the club to do better each year...

• @HCblue - A few pints increases most peoples ambitions and decreases their common sense!