Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• Disappointed with today. Very poor early on, conceding 2 goals in the first 15 minutes AT HOME is unacceptable. Sorry to say but WDH looked completely out of his comfort zone today, lost count of how many times he tried lumping it forwards only for it to go out for a throw. We were much better in the second half but that's to be expected when we have the extra man. Jamal was unlucky with the penalty, dived to his right but since the pen was more central he just ended up pushing it back towards the taker. Hoping their player is ok, the instant reaction of the players suggested something was very wrong. Quite like Cheltenham as a club, hope they stay up.

• The sad thing is if we could have had half decent home form, then we would have certainly been in the hunt. We haven't won a home game since early Feb against Pompey, which is a terrible record.

• Agree WDH struggled but I thought his fellow defenders were at least as bad particularly Harriman.

The defence will always be under pressure when the strikers cannot hold the ball up in the absence of the Beast. Although most on this forum praise Southwell, personally I can see nothing he brings to the team.

I thought I would never say it, but Thompson for me was MOTM.

• I am astonished at some of the comments on here tonight - Disappointing, Unacceptable, Absolutely Pathetic, Absolute Rubbish ?? Cheltenham are fighting for their lives and they are on a fairly decent run (thanks our Scotty) - today's result was not all that bad - we are still in the hunt for a play off place and it makes for a really exciting end to the season - at least we got a very valuable point today given Exeter lost to Newport, Mansfield lost to Doncaster and Stevenage got thumped by Col U.

• Good comeback, but I am incredibly disappointed about bottling it at the end. How we only scored one goal in that second half I will never know.
    WDH was abysmal today. The worst player I have seen in a Wycombe shirt for years. I would give him 0/10 today. Outfought and outpaced by everything, poor headers, poor game reading, no passing ability. Even his long balls sail far over the head of any strikers. Terrible.

If we'd won today we are 1 point off playoffs. Still, I am much more optimistic with Kashket back. Looked electric with every touch, and able to create chances at will. Fantastic.

• @WanderingDays said:
    Good comeback, but I am incredibly disappointed about bottling it at the end. How we only scored one goal in that second half I will never know.
    WDH was abysmal today. The worst player I have seen in a Wycombe shirt for years. I would give him 0/10 today. Outfought and outpaced by everything, poor headers, poor game reading, no passing ability. Even his long balls sail far over the head of any strikers. Terrible.

If we'd won today we are 1 point off playoffs. Still, I am much more optimistic with Kashket back. Looked electric with every touch, and able to create chances at will. Fantastic.

I did wonder if WDH, Jacobsen and Gape were in some sort of competition to see who could shank it bout of play most often. Although they were all out done by Thomo, who managed to find the stands when retrieving a ball for us to take a free kick.

• Message to to the morons in the terrace who booed after 15 mins why don't you fuck off and take your pathetic support somewhere else wwfc can do without you

• Back to the drawing board for next season. Any positives, well Freeman did okay beat the player in front of him and Kash sparked when he came on but that limp concerns me.
    Hopefully the Cheltenham player is okay I witnessed a similar situation as a parent not too long ago and it aged me .

• @braywanderer said:
    Message to to the morons in the terrace who booed after 15 mins why don't you fuck off and take your pathetic support somewhere else wwfc can do without you

Were the first 15 minutes, or the entire 90 for that matter acceptable?

• I sometimes wonder if we go to different games. We have certainly played worse than in the first 10 minutes but Cheltenham also played pretty well as well to their credit.
    Kashket was different gravy when he came on. God I hope he can stay fit.

• @Username said:
    Were the first 15 minutes, or the entire 90 for that matter acceptable?

None of it is acceptable we have a more than a few embarrassing idiots who turn up every week

• @braywanderer said:
    Message to to the morons in the terrace who booed after 15 mins why don't you fuck off and take your pathetic support somewhere else wwfc can do without you

Get off your high horse. The players were diabolical for the first 20-30 mins and thoroughly deserved the criticism.

If you are one of those who holds a ST or attends on a near constant basis you can't vote with your wallet. So the only option for making your views know is to give the players the feedback verbally.

There are three options when we're playing crap: Clap and cheer (only an imbecile would blindly support the crap we served up at times); Stand there and say nothing; let the team know how you feel. To my mind the latter is the most constructive option.

If you turned up at work and put in a terrible shift, surely you expect an earful? And if you get it then you probably try and improve to avoid it again.

You've absolutely no right telling a paying customer how they should behave (unless it's illegal/offensive) and certainly none telling people to leave.

• edited April 2017

A few observations:

1) As many have alluded to on here, the performance from WDH in particular was nothing short of appalling both defensively and in terms of distribution. It got to a point where I fully expected us to lose the ball whenever it went anywhere near him. Sure some others weren't much better (a lot of poor crosses from Harriman in the second half for example) but he truly was poor.

2) What a shame that Freeman has been used so little throughout the season, he was my MOTM today, offering useful balls into the box, and the actual intelligence to think about his passes rather than hitting them long throughout.

3) There were a few murmurs around me in the terrace that the reason for the omissions of both Bayo and O'Nien were down to lateness, and PCH's support and retweeting of a comment from a fan about him arriving one hour before kick off suggests that maybe he was left out for the same reason. Now I realise that GA values discipline and principles highly BUT if this is true, then surely at such a stage in the season you do not drop such key players for arriving late?!

• Here's the Cowan Hall tweet that I refer to.

• @Glenactico said:

>
    Not entirely sure if yelling abuse is the most constructive option (although I agree with your right to dispatch it -subject to limits of acceptability).

Generally if a player is struggling for form it is often a confidence thing (or not being clear what they are required to do). Giving them abuse is hardly likely to help and more likely to lead them to get rid of the ball as quickly and as far away as possible.

Of course if they are playing crap because they genuinely couldn't give a toss (probably fairly rare) then it may indeed be justified.

Oh. @TheAndyGrahamFanClub "different gravy"? "Gash" (and Kendall Jenner) I 'got' so was feeling smug and down with the kids but that ones got me.

• Maybe my perspective is coming from a place where I was long reconciled to there being no play off position. I know it's close but I have thought it disappeared when the injuries started kicking in.

Couple of final points Freeman was superb. Fair play to him on must have been a frustrating first pro season

Whoever was responsible for woof whistling the referee's assistant before the game - really? The club tries so hard to be an inclusive place and people still think we in a shit 70s sitcom.

• @braywanderer Totally agree with you regarding the booing. Frank Adams top tier, block P and around, you had the feeling half the crowd had been waiting since the last, admittedly poor, home game to unleash their venom. Boo if you must at the end, although even that is unacceptable in my view, but not after 15 minutes for God's sake. When Thommo scored the equaliser, I turned round, and hardly any of these guys were applauding or cheering our goal, they were just sat lamely on their backsides showing no positive emotion whatsoever.

• Sido has to play next game for me. Well done to Freeman thought he had a great game someone who actually passes instead of just hoofing it.

• @NewburyWanderer been that way for years up there. Seen people on their feet screaming for a misplaced pass, not a single movement or even a smile at a goal.

• Agree that Sido has to play instead of WDH. He just doesn't look good enough at this level...a lost sheep. Gape also looks a shadow of the player he was earlier this season. Pleased for Freeman though as he has shown he has something to offer and tries to pass the ball to feet on the deck which is sadly something most of the others rarely do.

• Can't comment on Akinfenwa or O'Nien but PCH certainly wasn't late. He, along with Sam Saunders, was on the 'executive box run' pre-match.

• O'Nien was walking through the main car-park, presumably just having arrived, about 1.40. Seems like that might be a bit late perhaps?

• edited April 2017

I was told in Vere Suite before the game that Saunders, PCH and Weston all carried injuries

• Well the last month or so without Anthony Stewart and injuries to Pierre, have certainly confirmed that if those two leave in the summer, then we need two new centre-backs. We certainly cannot play Muller and WDH as our first team CB pairing, they are not good enough at all.

Also, Southwell has had enough chances but doesn't look the part at all. He appears to be avoiding the ball and looks to be carrying a bit of weight.

• I've never seen the merit or booing during the game however poor the performance. I just don't think it's very constructive. Personally I prefer the silent treatment.
    Usually the players know things are not going to plan and, I believe, don't need the crowd on their backs too. That's the job of GA and the coaching staff.
    I can appreciate any paying customer (aka supporter) wants to let the players & coaches know they are not happy at any time and in any way they like, provided it's legal and doesn't unduly offend others.
    We all pay our money and are entitled to show our support/frustration however we like. Not sure calling each other names is very helpful.

• Had to miss a rare game today, but sounds like a real awful lineup for whatever reason(s), awful play to go 2-0 down, terrific play to get 3-2 up, and just when you think we'll see it out, against ten but almost in effect 9 men, we screw up.

Incredibly actually gaining a point on the playoff places, but realistically a horrific waste of playing a crap team.

Sido must fear for his future here, as Harriman has very obviously been first choice for ages, and a conference south pair are favoured at centre back ahead of him.
    I'm not sure occasional fill ins when JJ has a sore back, or Harriman needs a cup game rest will be enough for him to hang around next year

• A disappointing day- I really thought the winner was inevitable with 15 minutes plus stoppage time to go. Such a shame as teams just above lost. Agree sadly about WDH, right now he looks a liability. I suspect he won't get much better. Scott K on the other hand will do great things. Or spend a lot of time on the treatment table.

Hope their player is OK, never good seeing an oxygen mask on anyone.

• Many Years ago (The day Sutton defeated Coventry) travelled to
    Canal Street the home of Runcorn, and our central defensive partnership of Kevin Day and Nigel Gray was announced by the linnets tannoy man. The fear that shuddered through me that day, is quite similar to when WDH or Max Muller is named in the starting line up.
    We actually beat Runcorn that day, but im deeply concerned that the present management team think that either WDH or Mulller are anywhere near league 2 standard.

• After an awful first 15 mins I thought we had the game well in the bag before the sending off and the awful injury. I think this solidified Cheltenham and the attack v defence nature of the second half is never the best way for us to play. We are much better counter attacking. Having said all that we had the game won before we switched off for their penalty. Frustrating for lots of reasons but for me mainly due to my feeling the centre forward should have got a second yellow for giving away our penalty.

I don't think I've seen many better saves than Blackman's from the free kick that led to the first goal. The defenders let him down on that one.

The treatment of WDH yesterday was incredible to see. I'm not convinced anyone could perform when the crowd audibly worry when he has the ball and the manager sends him out at half time to practice his passing and waves his hands in anger every time he hoofs it up the pitch with no players showing for a pass. The manager must take some blame and I hope hauling him off for the pointless Paul Hayes isn't a slap in the face too many for a young player clearly struggling despite some talent.

I've never really seen us as play off contenders but we are still in the mix with 5 to go. Who know's what will happen on Friday. Depends on the M25 traffic I suppose.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Many Years ago (The day Sutton defeated Coventry) travelled to
    Canal Street the home of Runcorn, and our central defensive partnership of Kevin Day and Nigel Gray was announced by the linnets tannoy man. The fear that shuddered through me that day, is quite similar to when WDH or Max Muller is named in the starting line up.

Gray & Day. Possibly the worst CB pairing in living memory.