Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• edited April 2017

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war

• Ladies and gentlemen, please, leave your flares on your yacht.

• Not the strongest eleven we've put out this year.

• Interesting team with O'Nien and Akinfenwa on the bench and Freeman starting. I'm struggling to understand the thinking if this purely about winning today's game

• Thompson starting again has me worried he'll get another contract in the summer. Not the starting XI to go for a win to keep us in the play off hunt but we shall see,

• I assume Beast is rested. O'Nein is hardly the first name on the team sheet material anymore. Freeman has probably earned a start from recent sub appearances.

Or it's a cluster fuck waiting to happen

• It will be interesting to see the formation. People I sit with reckon 4-4-2 with Thompson and Southwell up front. I think that's probably right but I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Southwell in the middle of a three with Thompson and Wood either side

• Looks a very uninspiring 11.....hope to be proved wrong . A win is a must today

• Optimistic as always. Thanks for turning up!

• 4-4-2 it is

• 0-1 after 7 minutes

• Straight away, the.problem is clear. Absolutely no ball retention up front and over run in midfield. Still, as @DevC says why change anything?

• @EwanHoosaami that would be a better point if this wasn't a change to a 4-4-2

• Absolutely pathetic 2 down at home against a bottom 3 team

• You could play 10-10-10 for all it matters if you insist on kicking the ball into nowhere the moment it gets to you. Our failing is that we are unable to pass to a player in blue

• Should still win this.

• 2-2 and Cheltenham down to 10 men.

• @Chris have I not been advocating a five man midfield then? Agreed a 442 if we have Weston & PCH, both wide players. As @TheAndyGrahamFanClub club has already stated, if we can't pass a ball to another team mate, who can control it & repeat, WTF does it matter what formation we have?

• Well, quite. The problem isn't the formation it's the number of players we have injured. And yet we're still favourites to go on and win this game.

• Sorry can't accept the injuries as a reason why 11 professional footballers consistently do not string a few passes together.

• First Wycombe goes down as an OG.

• Woke up late so only caught the last 10 mins of the first half. Sounds mental, 2-2 with a man sent off.....all that's missing is a dog on the pitch.

COYB

• You've got the back three you wanted @EwanHoosaami

• Entertaining stuff. Poor Miss by Hayes at the end. Poor defending for their penalty. If the game has started at 3:10 we would have won easily.

Best wishes to the CTFC player. Didn't see what exactly the problem was but looking at reactions from all around not good.

• Absolutely rubbish. Against ten men for the entire second half, gifted a penalty to take the lead and we still messed it up.

First 25 mins we were absolutely all over the place and it didn't get much better after that.

Rarely felt under Ainsworth that we've lacked effort but a few today looked ready for their summer holidays.

How on earth we are still in the running is beyond me.

Awful.

• We really could have done with winning today. We won't get many better chances of three points than 2-2 against 10 men Cheltenham at half time. Still, four more wins will probably do it, and if Akinfenwa and Kashket are fit then who knows?

• Looked to me like Kashket was struggling late on. Stretching and rubbing his groin.

• I don't care if Dicky gets upset but his brother lacks concentration and is a liability at this level. Should play Jombati at CB instead.

• @Chris Not the midfield 5 though, which has been the main thrust of my point. We were constantly over run & outfought in the middle for the 1st 20 minutes, which is when they got their 2 1st half goals. Generally felt that their players wanted the points more than ours. Worst game I have seen Pierre play for a long time, Pell bullied him and our back line along with Wright. Thought we were fortunate to get a draw TBH.