Skip to content

I wrote a Wycombe Wanderers anthem

Comments

• Can only be a matter of time, Micra. Sometimes constructive criticism from a critical friend is the most valuable feedback of all.

• I'm sure it will be much appreciated!

• Hopefully. And hopefully understood the good intentions behind it - especially if Shev is intending to repeat the exercise for other clubs.

• Clearly angling to be Shev's Agent!

• Hey Dev,

Sorry mate - I was writing a post as you wrote yours evidently (yours is a minute before mine), so I missed it originally.

Everything you say is fair enough. I am definitely open to changing some lyrics at the very least. I am sure there will be many fans who feel the same way as you too, and I appreciate the constructive criticism.

One thing in particular that strikes me is how generic you find the lyrics, and I can see how you would feel that way. I guess the flip side would argument would be that a club anthem paints in broader strokes, as opposed to giving all 100 reasons one by one (I am thinking that would be the length of a Bob Dylan song!), but that is really a matter of individual perspective. I have the disadvantage of not being a Wycombe fan (originally - that is fast changing!), so I do need educating in the details of Chairboy lore.

One things that these board responses have shown for sure is that there is nothing that will evoke identical responses from every fan. I do think the response has been very positive overall, though. I am hopeful that one way or another this song could be something that is a good thing for the club and fans.

If the club do end up using it, I hope you will not cringe too hard when you hear it!

• @DevC said:
    I was hoping somebody else what would respond to this more as a critical friend, but as they haven't here goes.............

Not sure that it would be appropriate to address you as my honourable friend Dev but may I refer you to @Jonny_King's excellent and nicely informal "critique" of yesterday's date?

• I wish you luck with this and future output. You plainly have some talent.

I guess the point would be if you are not going to mention the 100 reasons why mention them at all.

Have a listen to the Gaz Brookfield songs I suggested. I would be interested what you make of them.

• I liked it Shev.

• Thanks! I will do that Dev. In response to the 100 reasons, I could argue that the verse starts "IF you wander down to Wycombe, and come in to Adams Park, there's a hundred ways..." In other words, they have to come to the ground to find out the 100 reasons, rather than relying on my ditty. :)

Your comments lead to a question I would like to put to you and everyone here. If I get back in the studio, what lyrics would you most like to be dropped and what should be in the song? I don't know exactly what I can change structurally, but so far I do have dropping the 'United', and adding something about 'Old Bucks Boys', though that is a bit of a mouthful to get lyrical rhythm too.

• MAJOR UPDATE: I heard back from Jake Hayward, and this is on the playlist for Saturday, and he is going to get video of it being played. Dev, sorry in advance mate!

Thank you all for your input. I am not sure if it will have legs past this weekend, but if any of you that are at the game can give me feedback, that would be fantastic!

Cheers to you all!

• Obviously it is your prerogative to write what you want- it's your song. For me your justification re 100 reasons doesn't work.

Honestly I would farm this one of somewhere else and write a new one. Think what story you want to tell about Wycombe and then build the lyrics and chorus around the story. As Brookfield does in his two stories.

Just one view though. You do as you wish and create what YOU wish to create.

• Shev, Dev is (in)famous on this site for his contrarian stance on almost every thread, take his comments with 'a pinch of salt' most of us do.
    I will be listening out for your song on Saturday, we play Notts County the oldest league club in England.
    Unfortunately our PA system is pretty poor but it is the same for all tunes.
    Dev won't be there by the way, he lives four hours away from Adams Park and rarely if ever attends games.

• Great News @Shev I'll be listening out

• Congratulations, shev.

As perfidious says, I will not be there to 'squirm'

I wish you well in the future.

• Ha ha - well contrarian or not, I appreciate Dev's comments. People taking this time to respond to the song, whether to criticize or compliment, means a lot to me.

• Thanks Perfidious/Morris/Dev - I am very excited about it!

• @Shev and as you have now been officially Devved (he means well and is the only contributor on here who has been endorsed as such by a popular vote) you are now a bona-fide Gasroomer!

• @bookertease - all I can say is, I am honored!

• Ignore DevC he's a pompous troll, He'd only want you to write lyrics about pervy lonely train trips.

• Or visits to hooters, tatler?

• Sadly I never finished my epic song 'I am on a train trip to hooters' which would have combined both thoughts...

• Did you listen to the two songs I recommended, shev. If so what did you think.

• Hey Dev - yes, I saw both videos, and Gaz Brookfield is definitely talented. I do like the storytelling style, and I have a couple I have written I think you would like, specifically an autobiographical one about leaving England for America in 2000.

There are definitely a bunch of different songwriting styles, and I like employing different ones for different song types. I guess with an anthem, you can argue that if the lyrics are too fast and wordy, it is harder for the crowd to keep up, so to speak.

That all being said, maybe I could take a whole new crack at a Wycombe song in a folk/story style once I have read up on the history more.

• I wonder if there is any chance of someone posting on here approximately when Shev's song will be played. If within a quarter of an hour of kick off I will drag myself from the Woodland Lounge earlier than my usual 5 minutes!
    PS Would be good if the BFP latched on to this and gave it a plug.

• Hey Micra,
    I can check with Jake Hayward on twitter. He has been really nice. I will let you know what he says.

Cheers!

• The song is now up for free download at

I also added an old folk song I wrote, especially for Dev to have a listen:

• Personally infinitely prefer the latter one.

Each to their own I suppose.

Good luck with it

• Cheers Dev - I suspected you might! Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

• Hey Micra (and everyone, really),
    I got in touch with Jake, and the song is going to be played a full 25 minutes before kick off. I am not sure how many people are even in the stadium at that point, but if anyone happens to be, please let me know how it goes!

• Hi @Shev . I'll be there then but to be honest the sound volume and quality is so poor in the Woodlands it will be a struggle to hear. I'll do my best.