Skip to content

I wrote a Wycombe Wanderers anthem

Hello all,
I am not a Wycombe fan, and I have lived in the USA these past 17 years after growing up a Birmingham fan. However, something about your club really appeals to me, including the fan-owned setup, and I felt inspired to write a club anthem. I offered it to the Trust for free, waiving any royalties or payment, and they were gracious enough to listen to it, but decided that it was not up-tempo enough to be used by them for a pre-match anthem.

I still really want Wycombe fans to be able to get enjoyment out of it, if possible, so I have uploaded it to youtube, at the link below. I would really appreciate feedback, and again, I am offering it for free, so if anyone likes it and wants an mp3, feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will send one along. I was going to add drums if the board had liked it enough to use it, so it may be a little 'folkier' than the envisioned finished version, but hopefully someone will like it.

Cheers!
Michael Shevlane
Las Vegas, U.S.A.

Comments

• Well I like that a lot, sort of song you could put to a film about the club. I'm not sure our drone army would take to it though - no abuse or swearing!!

• Ha ha, thanks mate! I was going more for the Wycombe 'You'll Never Walk Alone' (ambitious, I know). I am actually now toying with the idea of going through various League One and Two clubs, writing anthems and writing a book about the experiences. Wycombe would be the first chapter. I was just hoping they would use it and I could focus on Wycombe alone, though.

• Very nice Michael. Which sadly makes it unlikely to make it past our terrace quality control department. Thanks for your kind thoughts, but you'd need to speed it up, add drums and a quick chorus of 'Derek Adams - You're a wanker! You're a wanker!'...

• Cheers Wendoverman! Yes, by the sound of things it is nowhere near abusive enough!

• Actually, probably fair comment in Mr Adams's case.

Cant imagine him loving anybody else, how could anyone live up to his reflection in the mirror.

• Always looks like he has a mouthful of unripe lemons. Adams, I mean.

Very much like the chorus, Mike, and I think that part could potentially catch on with the Chairboys Choir behind the goal, suitably embellished and made a little more staccato. But what would I know?
    I am very elderly and remain seated until we score (so most of the time) but still have a powerful pair of lungs, used as often as not to encourage the officials to improve their performance.

It's flattering that you were inspired (if that's not too strong a word) to take the time and make the effort to compose the anthem. Best of luck with future endeavours.

• Thanks micra! I did hope the chorus would be catchy enough to pique the board's interest, but fair enough that they wanted something more rock n roll. I am a little disappointed simply because Wycombe seem like such a great club, but it was a fun experience, and really nice of the board to give it the time of day to all listen to it.

Thank you for the kind words, and best of luck to the Chairboys!

• Hi Michael, thanks for this, it's a very pleasant song indeed which also somehow manages to evoke the Adams Park location up here in the Chiltern Hills. I think it will need a sort of up tempo strapline (short verse) from the original for it to be adopted on the terrace but there's no reason why something couldn't be worked out if it's punchy enough and easily repeated by a crowd of non-singers! Thank you again and all the best.

• Thanks ValleyWanderer! Those are some very encouraging thoughts. What you said about evoking the Chilterns is very pleasing to me, as I was going for that - I grew up in Hertfordshire and went on many a family ramble growing up in the Chilterns.

• No problem Michael, please do be encouraged and not disappointed (as you mentioned in an earlier reply) as this is pretty much what it's like to support Wycombe a lot of the time! We all have to Believe!

• Thanks ValleyWanderer! I appreciate it - I am not really down about it, as I suspected up front that the tempo could work against it. I will probably try some other clubs and chronicle the experience. I feel like there is a bit of an unexplored niche for good club anthems. I wish you well too!

• Well done Shev, just one point of detail, I'd change the lyrics in the first stanza, no fans want to chant 'united' unless they have to!

• Thanks Perfidious, and a very good point, ha ha. I had not even though of that!

• Can't believe the trust have dismissed this out of hands. Not sure why. Perhaps they can explain on here. A little bit of work with the lyrics and this will be fantastic.

• Thanks Midlander! I must say my contact at the Trust was gracious to get them to listen to it - after all, I came to them. The explanation I got was that the manager is a rock man (I don't think he listened to it, but not sure), and that some of the board felt it needed to be more punchy. I understand the tempo concerns, though I was going for a 'You'll Never Walk Alone' type song.

I really appreciate the kind words. I was definitely hoping to be able to just make some revisions, but it is what it is.

• Sorry @Shev but you lost me as soon as it got to "We all stand together". I can't stand Paul McCartney's music at the best of times and there's no way I can imagine myself at Adams Park singing a line from the Frog Chorus.

Good on you for having a go, though.

• Ha ha - you know what, my brother pointed out the McCartney song after I cut the demo. I am not a fan of that frog song either. I suppose it could be changed to 'We All Sing Together', but I think that is a Coventry song.

• The more I hear this the more I like it. You did a great job.

• Thanks so much MBS! I am giving out the mp3 for free if you or anyone else would like one too.

• This is good work. Did you know our manager was the vocalist in a rock band in his spare time? I would suggest sending it to him rather than going via the board who (decent people that they are)might not appreciate the work that goes into songwriting.
    On a different note I notice you are in Las Vegas and as I'm also a hockey fan I'm curious is there a lot of local excitement about the Golden Knights start up?.

• Thanks Morris! I did not realize that about Gareth Ainsworth, though the trust contact mentioned he was "a rock man". I would happily send it to him, but neither the club nor Trust websites have contact details for him, unfortunately. I am open to ideas!

In answer to your question, yes, the Golden Knights have created a lot of excitement here. My wife and I were down on the Strip for the name reveal, and there are only 7 months till the puck drops on our first season. I just hope the Raiders do not steal the hockey team's thunder!

• You would still need to go via the club my idea was to address it directly I can't guarantee success but he comes across to me as a genuine guy who loves his music if it's any help his band is called "The cold blooded hearts" and they have their own Facebook page.
    Things are definitely different over there moving a football teams home here is a definite no no so I'm hoping once the knights are up and running it's a big success .
    Best of luck

• Morning Morris you insomniac you. Reckon Mike was retiring for the night when you posted your comment. I'm clearly behind the times (again) because I thought Gareth's band was "Dog Chewed the Handle". There are some great photos of him singing with them - a good few years back I guess.

• Hi @micra
    Yes age has kind to me insomnia,hair loss and sudden "why the heck is that hurting" moments.
    I think the "cold blooded hearts" is the current one.

• I think the tempo lends itself well to a terrace sing along. If you could persuade Gareth to record a faster, rockier version with his band for the team to run out to that would be pretty cool.

• Nice job Shev I like that, but then I'm a bit of a folk fogey at times get Gaz to stick a guitar rift on it, add a drum and squeeze in a mention of the Bucks Boys in the chorus the terrace might pick it up

Brother Reg are you still out there watching could you stick one of your drum beats on that ?

You're right Morris https://en-gb.facebook.com/The-Cold-Blooded-Hearts-183748618633997/

• Hey Morris, Micra, Drcongo and Crabbie,
    Thank you all for the encouragement and information. I am going to see if maybe I can post it to their facebook, with the added bonus that "Wycombe fans officially approve of a rock version of this" ha ha.

• Update: I messaged the band through facebook and sent the link also. I will let you all know how it goes. I must admit it would be amazing if the Wycombe manager recorded a Wycombe anthem!

• This is definitely headed in the right direction. Well done all.

• I definitely owe everyone a beer if something works out!