Skip to content

I wrote a Wycombe Wanderers anthem

Comments

• Real warm brown beer though not that fizzy beechwood watery stuff over there. There is s real ale served in the club bar named Sloppy Loakes (after our old ground which had an 11 foot side to side slope!
    Why not fly over for the last game, perform a live unplugged set for us is the bar and I'll stand YOU a pint!

• I don't like American beer either, and some Sloppy Loakes sounds just right! To be honest, if the song was ever used, I would indeed try and come out to hear it played at the stadium. My wife and I visit my family in Hertfordshire every year, about 30 miles from High Wycombe, and though this year it is after the season ends (in May), we would probably come out for the start of next season to visit Adams Park.

• ...I would make sure to bring my guitar too, because you never know!

• Is it not Slopey Loakes? They don't serve it in the Woodland, sadly.

• Sloping Loakes I think.

• You can buy it in Vere Suite

• I know. That's my gripe! I love the atmosphere in the Vere/Caledonian but sometimes need a bit of comfort in my old age. (I shouldn't really indulge the brewery by acknowledging the renaming if they can't be arsed to trundle the odd barrel across to the Woodland.)

• Perhaps a word with Chris, the bar manager will suffice.

• Them barrels can be very heifer to moove, Micra.

I promise to stop now. Maybe over-milking it.

• Recalling the Milk Cup!

• @Shev No offence, but I braced myself for this being some ear-bleeding shite that you had knocked up on a Casio keyboard and was surprised and delighted at how good it is and I don't normally 'do' folk (so to speak...)

I think the chorus in particular has some potential, although you could kiss the actual melody goodbye if you want to hear Wycombe fans singing it - it'd basically just be shouting. I'd agree with ditching the 'United family' bit and getting an 'Old Bucks Boys' reference in there.

Disappointed to hear the Trust weren't interested. Even if it isn't the sort of thing the team could run out to, what's the harm in adding it to the pre-match playlist? Better than a lot of the pop-bollocks that gets played - none of that is rock either. Alternatively, the slight melancholy-yet-defiant feel might lend itself to be being played at the end of a defeat!

One possible solution - Could be worth getting in touch with Jake Hayward, who runs the music side of things at AP and is usually open to requests/suggestions. If he likes it then he may well play it - don't see why you need the Trust's permission. I haven't got an email address for him, but his twitter handle is @JakeHayward. I'd definitely give him a try.

Thanks for doing this and best of luck with it.

• @Shev let us know if you can make a game I'll stand you a pint i'll be interested to see how the knights are doing.

• Shev FYI 'We are the Old Bucks Boys: come on let's make some noise' is the original unique club song from pre WWII, no one sings it anymore sadly as the tune is old fashioned and young fan don't know the words - good cultural reference to fit in though.
    All these pints we are standing you hope you'll still be in a fit state to do your set!

• Jonny, Morris and Perfidious,
    Thanks so much to all of you! I must admit I was hoping they would at least use it one way or another, even for their Facebook or YouTube. I do think they were gracious to give me the time of day, though. I will try to get in touch with Jake Hayward (thanks Jonny).

To be honest, I have no intention of giving up on this, even if I have to go back to the drawing board and do a new demo altogether. It doesn't feel that far off, and the reception from you on here has done nothing but make me warm to the club more.

If Jake is not interested (and if I don't hear back from Gareth Ainsworth's band after I messaged them on FB), I will probably do a little bit of a rewrite, taking your suggestions of dropping the 'United' and adding something about Old Bucks Boys. I may add some drums from the first chorus on, too.

If I ever get over there, I indeed feel as though I am going to be slurring my way through the song based on these pint offers!

Either way, I am going to keep in touch on this. If I can ever get anyone at the club to bite, you certainly all get an assist!

Cheers!

• I love it, maybe because it reminds me a little bit of a folkier version of Slades "We'll all join hands".
    It's certainly catchy !!

• It certainly is - I've just realised I've spent the last 20 minutes walking around the flat whistling it.

• @ChasHarps I thought I knew you better than that !

• It's good to know it sticks in people's heads! Now if I can just get it in the head of someone at the club hierarchy, you can all hear it every home game.... ;)

• To let you know it has now 'gone viral' onto the Wycombe Fans / supporters Facebook page

• @Shev who did you contact at the Trust? I'm on the board and think it's really promising

• Hey Perfidious - that is great news, thanks so much! I did notice the youtube views jump and wondered why...

• @DJWYC14 - It was Trevor Stroud I contacted. He was very nice. It was originally going to be listened to at the Feb 28th board meeting, but he said it did not happen, and instead I think he listened to it with other board members on the way up to the Grimsby game, but I am not sure who was there specifically. I am glad you like it, and I would appreciate any further suggestions/thoughts/help with it! Cheers!

• A good effort that Shev., I really like it, but then again I like a bit of folky stuff being of Irish heritage.

• Totally unrelated to this thread (or to football really) but your reference to Irish heritage interested me @EwanHoosaami as my wife is Irish and we celebrated our umpteenth anniversary on Friday at the Hit or Miss presided over by Michael Macken. Marvellous pub, always a good atmosphere and fine (if slightly expensive) food.

• Thanks Ewan! Ewan/Micra I am very much of Irish heritage on my Dad's side too, with his parents being from Mayo and Limerick respectively.

• @Shev both my parents are from Limerick. Father from "stab city", mother from the sticks, a few miles off the road to "Tip".

• edited March 2017

I was hoping somebody else what would respond to this more as a critical friend, but as they haven't here goes.............

Firstly we should acknowledge that everyone's musical tastes are different, for every Flogging Molly CD sold, there will be ten by Little Mix, for every Ferocious Dog or Mad Dog McCrea there are dozens of JLS.

Then we should acknowledge that it is far more difficult to create than it is to critique. Shev plainly has some musical talent sadly denied to me at least.

But lets look at some negatives
    1) Need
    Do we really need a tune of our own played as the teams come out. Over the years I have heard several such ditties played at grounds around the country. Invariably they are greeted with howls of incredulous derision from away supporters as home supporters squirm with embarrassment at the "naffness" of it all. Really has to be exceptional to have a chance of working.
    2) Genre
    Shev has a pleasant singing voice well suited to the singer-songwriting genre he presents. Its not really a genre that lends itself to a football anthem. Football anthems need to be inspirational whipping the crowd into a frenzy as the tune rises to its chorus belt out by all. They also need to be simple to catch on. Neither really works for singer/songwriter one man and his guitar style.

You also have to remember the audience you wish to sing along with. Subtle key changes are not going to work for a football crowd. The football crowd will be very much in the Eric Morecambe style - they will probably sing all the right notes but almost certainly not in the right order and probably not at the same time.
    3) Lyrics
    Singer songwriter lyrics need to tell a story and they need to have wit. Without that they get a bit dull. To see what I mean listen to Loudon Wainwright or nearer to home Gaz Brookfield (listen on you tube to Diabetes blues any more, or Be the bigger man to understand what I mean).

I am afraid these lyrics need a lot of work. They are painfully generic - they apply equally to 92 clubs - simply change Adams to St james and chairboys to grecians and you get the same song loosely connected to exeter.

They are also pretty meaningless - apparently there are 100 ways to find out who we are but we are not told what those 100 ways are, united family, stand together, overcome - all a bit too cliched for my taste. We dont all sing "chairboys forever" and I have no idea what Wycombe strong means.

For me the lyrics need to be far more specific and relevant. It is 25 years since we gained promotion to the league - reference that - or fan ownership or the red kites flying over the ground or martin Oneill - something specific and unique that defines the club and its history.

So a no for me on need, genre and lyrics. Only my taste though and 10 out of 10 for effort but a little more work required for me. thanks for trying though.

• Hey Ewan, small world! I can see why we have similar musical sensibilities...

• I can see ITV excitedly waving a contract in DevC's direction in their desperation to secure his services for the next series of The Voice.

• To be fair to Dev I have now read his post in full and it made me smile to see "a little more work required" at the end of such a comprehensively dismissive post. Nice one Dev.