Skip to content

Dayle Southwell

Comments

• Has this season's Scapegoat of the Year been nominated yet...it's been quite fluid this term.

• edited March 2017

It's been quite a struggle, as the contenders have spent vast spells of time out injured or benched, meaning there hasn't been a consistent choice.
    Bloomfield, Hayes, Bean, Thommo, Wood.

Hence having to think outside the box and get after Blackman for a while.
    Although Pierre was getting some strange stick earlier in the season with some crazy fools suggesting WDH was a better option.
    I think the Luton drubbing quickly removed that doubt.

If Southwell plays the next 10, i think he will quickly emerge though. Has a bit of the "ghost" about him, as cruelly nicknamed to a player years back that I honestly can't actually remember his name.

• edited March 2017

Inconsiderate of them really. Akinfenwa was a candidate too at the start of the season before rudely commencing scoring most weeks.

Hasn't really been a stand-out contender for the Ryan Sellers Trophy awarded to those who elements of the crowd coronate as certain match winners if only they got a game.

WDH? - for a while as mentioned above - until he actually played
    Scott Brown? - the new Yashin - but that's gone quiet since Blackman returned to week in week out man of the match performances
    Southwell? If only the formation was moulded around this proven Kane like figure. May grow into a strong candidate in the coming weeks
    Freeman? at start of season maybe but again had too many opportunities for mythical status to truly develop.
    Francis?

• Is another mention of this Francis bloke an attempt at a joke? Just trying to make sure I follow properly

• Apologies for disturbing your misery for just an instant , Righty.
    Feel free to return to your despair.

• @malone Don't forget Harriman who stopped trying once he signed a permanent deal.

• I'm assuming the scapegoat will be someone who gets on the pitch. So Freeman must be one of the only ones who is safe.

• edited March 2017

Look @DevC
    You've tried to edit your post but left the initial brain fade in. It was a genuine question as you've mentioned Francis a couple of times before.

I'm not sure why you chose to abuse. I'm not going there with you anymore.

• Yes Righty, I left Francis in as a small joke because I have confused Nick Francis, the ex Enfield striker and Nick Freeman previously.

Quite why you wanted to make a point of it, I have no idea, except that you seem to prefer provoking conflict and then claiming to be the victim over substance. Your choice of course.

• There will always be a late run-in contender for the 'Sellers', I'm going for Parish Village Hall, who has failed to show up since signing his long term perm deal.

• I think you have misunderstood the criteria for the "Sellers", Mr Albion.

The "sellers" is awarded to the player who develops Messi level playing ability while unaccountably warming the bench at best due to the manager only playing his favourites.

His status only fades when he actually gets to play and turns out to be more Carlos than Maxi Lopez, is released at the end of the season and then struggles to get a game for Wealdstone.

Southwell has a chance of earning this award with a slight variation as his full Messi skills are not on show only because he is not played in the crowds perfect position.

• Paris Town Hall please.

• The award for player abused for being conference standard at best before going on to excel in his future career is called the "Russell Martin" trophy.

• Awarded this season to................,.,

• ..........,,Junior Morias.

• ..........Lee Angol.

• I always thought it was called the Ikechi A(nya)ward

• I think the Russell Martin Award should be restricted to those who go on to have a great season the next year and continually improve, not those who develop much later.

• @Malone Ben Strevens maybe? He was oddly unmemorable as I recall, other than a bravura performance away at Bury in our last promotion season.

• In fairness to Dev, those of us who actually ever watch Wycombe have to be reminded about Freeman's existence! So he can be forgiven for mixing up a player's name who surely he's never seen.

I must have barely have seen him play and I go every home game and a fair few aways!

• On the contrary, Malone. If I recall correctly, he made a stellar 5 minute cameo at Yeovil and may even have had the shot that briefly awoke me from my slumber. I am sure I remember considering starting a chant of "one nicky francis, there's only one nicky francis" before apathy again got the better of me.

• @micra said:
    Paris Town Hall please.

I prefer 'Village' as the double syllable scans as per 'Cow-an'. And of course it has to be Parish' (not the French capital city) work at all.

• @DevC There was a guy ages ago who witnessed one of Mike Williamson's first games for Wycombe (at Northampton, I believe) and concluded categorically on the old gasroom that he was "not a defender". I'm guessing that Willo has therefore been a past winner of the "Russell Martin" Trophy - or does the abuse have to be more general than one random, deluded call-out?

• A player who has gone on to have a very decent career despite him being not much more than a mnah player - Alex Revell. Still can't believe he is getting bought and sold on a regular basis and banging in goals. He looked ok for us but not much more than that.

• With a Revell yell, he scores more , more , more.

Almost kept us up didn't he.

• edited March 2017

All about opinions @TheAndyGrahamFanClub , I seem to remember we were pretty darn disappointed we couldn't make it a permanent deal for him.
    He'd started scoring a decent amount, and was a terrific target man.

• We looked after him for months after he incurred a serious injury, as is our wont, and he thanked us by leaving at the end of the season for greener pastures at Leyton Orient. He'd come on loan at the start of the 2010-11 season and scored 8 in 15 before his injury. Not quite in the Scott Kashket category and (for @Malone) he was 9" taller.
    What an anorak am I.

• @micra I doff my cap to you. I was more thinking he looked like an upgrade on Strevens rather than someone who would have a really good career in the Championship.

• I thought Revell looked good...but he went for a Division higher rather than stay with us didn't he? Unsurprisingly.

• Looks line another one horse race for the gasroom Dev C award again