Skip to content

Dayle Southwell

Southwell to return from Lincoln , could feature for us on Sat.

I wonder how pissed of he'll be about missing out on the FA cup 1/4 final ?

Comments

• Why should he be pissed off. It's not as if he's played in every round of Lincolns FA Cup run. Dale has made one substitute appearance I believe, away at Burnley. He went away to get match fit, not sure, but think he was a substitute in some of the games so hasn't played a major role at Lincoln. Whilst he might have wished to have experienced a trip to the Emirates I can also see that he could look forward to getting his Wycombe career back on track.

• I assume that this means Kashket and Hayes won't be fit anytime soon?

• Good to see him coming back and I hope he gets a chance soon.
    I think Dayle Southwell 2.0 will do ok for us.

• Well, I'm sure if he hasn't scored after 20 minutes he'll know about it...

• edited March 2017

As Wendover implies, players not playing have a tendency to take on super-human qualities when those who are playing are struggling. Southwell is totally unproven at this level and a quick browse of Lincoln forums suggests wasn't overly impressive during his loan.

Give him time and wish him well back with us , but don't expect a new messiah and slaughter him when he turns out to be human after all. (my suggestion anyway)

• I'll take all that on board. Thanks for the advice

• Why should the Lincoln forums be any more reliable then our own?

• With all our injuries, he's a much needed extra option up front. I'm sure he was aware of our situation here and the likelihood of his return to Wycombe. That said, it would be only human nature to be a little disappointed to be leaving a side top of the league, in the FA Trophy semi final and FA Cup quarter final.

• @mooneyman said:
    I assume that this means Kashket and Hayes won't be fit anytime soon?

Not necessarily. He was due back this weekend and any addition to the striking options is welcome, regardless of the status of injuries to others. I have the impression that Paul Hayes is close to a return. Scott Kashket's groin problem is evidently proving difficult to heal. That is the bigger blow by some distance of course but a Hayes return could give Bayo a well deserved break for a match or two.

• I just caught the end of GA's interview last night...he said Pierre and Hayesy were close to recovery and Kashket - less so.

• I think Dayle will do okay from what I saw his positioning and movement looked good his pace was a little off but I now know he was carrying an injury

• @eric_plant , probably, because in the case of Southwell, they've seen as much of him, if not more than us. And I don't remember many raving about him here. The most positive opinions were laced with a "he's not fully fit" disclaimer.

@DevC is correct on the first line of his post. You only have to look how a lot of people are getting on Blackman's back, and strangely hyping Scott Brown, a middling lower league keeper, up to stratospheric levels upon every save at Cheltenham.

• I've not seen any of Scott Brown's recent performances but, from what others have told me, he had been absolutely outstanding. Seems unreasonably belittling to describe him as a middling lower league 'keeper.

• I can't really see how that is belittling Brown as it is a FACT that at nearly 32 the highest level he has played at is Div 1 and that was only briefly and a couple of seasons for Aberdeen..

• I suppose it depends on how you set the bar? To me, middling to lower league is around L2 to Conference level.

• I read it as 'lower league keeper' being the fact, and 'middling' being the opinion of his ability. Maybe @Malone can clarify?

• I hope I am being objective about Southwell but I did think that he showed signs of being busy enough to make him an effective striker at this level.
    What I hope he and GA has looked at is the role Akinfenwa should play with him as I see that Southwell can play a similar role to Kashket with his movement.
    The key will be him getting a goal soon on his return. He scored on his last appearance and we all hoped that would be a platform, a goal tomorrow could really allow him to push on.

• If Southwell is anywhere near Bayo he's more than capable of picking up the pieces that drop. If he's played as a striker in a front three I fear for him a bit.

• if Southwell plays it will have to be as part of a 442 wouldn't it? Defender, winger, cross Bayo - bop - Southwell tap in.
    Wendoverman Soccer Schools opening in September.

• Yep @LeedsBlue , you call it as I meant it.

Scott Brown had 10 years at Cheltenham. they're a club we consider ourselves bigger and better than.

I'd love to know whether we were always after a Premier league loanee, but knew we might have to wait until after the start of the season, or whether Brown was ever the intended first choice.
    I strongly suspect the former

• I thought Brown would be our no 1 until he got injured, didn't we give him a 2 year contract?

• It just seems a bit of a change in keeper strategy, when we've previously had highly rated going places keepers. Be it our own, or loaned.

• If Dayle is in tomorrow I hope he scores. Best wishes.

• Pretty sure Brown was intended to be first choice until he picked up an untimely (for him) injury.

• Keep it simple, @Wendoverman - Blackman, Bayo, goal. Who needs wingers?

• Who needs wingers when we have throw-ins?

• And, to be fair @Chris, some would say untimely for us. No names, no pack drill.

• @LeedsBlue I was painting the perfect scenario...somehow hoof, bop, tap-in seemed less total football. Then again...if it means three points...

• For the record I hope Southwell comes in and cements a place in the team, I thought he looked useful at the start of the season despite our slow start.

• So do I. It's no secret that l admire him both for his footballing potential and as a very likeable character.
    Good luck Dayle.