Skip to content

Dayle Southwell

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    For the record I hope Southwell comes in and cements a place in the team, I thought he looked useful at the start of the season despite our slow start.

I get what you are pointing at I also think he mortar do quite well

• just plastering over the cracks

• Things seem to be building up quite nicely for the end of the season.

• edited March 2017

edit...I see it's the usual pun stuff.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Things seem to be building up quite nicely for the end of the season.

Indeed, we don't need to throw in the trowel just yet

• This thread has been a bit thin (frayed even) on comments about Dayle Southwell 's performance against Grimsby but a diehard fan who misses a maximum of two away games a season tells me that he was voted Man of the Match on the OWWSA coach.

• @micra said:
    This thread has been a bit thin (frayed even) on comments about Dayle Southwell 's performance against Grimsby but a diehard fan who misses a maximum of two away games a season tells me that he was voted Man of the Match on the OWWSA coach.

Surprised he got MOTM, but he was definitely a positive. Looked lively and linked up the play well, just want to see more of a goal threat

• Hopefully he has come back strong.
    But I suspect it's the "thrill of the new", and once he's been back a few games that'll have gone.

Would love it if he suddenly goes on a run. Injuries mean opportunities for others and all that!

• Some of those MOTM awards on the supporters' coach are a bit baffling. I think the problem is that the vote is done in public, as it were, and so anyone who is not really sure, and wishes not to be thought a prat, tends to vote for the same player as a person sitting nearby and whom they have overheard. Once you get on a roll of a few "Southwells", as in this instance, - well, that's it. Blackman should have won it by rights (IMO, of course). Having said that I thought Dayle had a fine game considering it was his first game after returning from his loan spell away.

• He did OK without being particularly impressive. Ainsworth is correct when describing Southwell as a battler. He looks a decent finisher (and crosser) as well as putting in a lot of effort but just lacks a little bit of pace.

• Disappointing performance from Dayle this afternoon. Lots of hard running but no end product. Early days.

• micra, I agree re Dayle loads of effort but no result, but unfair to pick him out as not a single Wycombe player had an end product today except Blackman who was top quality.

• It was an awful game, but in a system where our first instinct is to knock it to Bayo, and get his flick ons to pacey players, I can't understand how Southwell could possibly flourish.
    He's not particularly fast or good In the air, and won't get many chances created on a plate for him.

• I'm not sure Southwell is best suited for a three man attack and felt for him today. Loads of energy but very little of it with any hope of getting a decent ball.

• Truely terrible, offered nothing, I'd play Weston over him in a three every time, change it for Tuesday Gaz

• Doesn't seem any sense in putting him in that out wide attacker position.

The vague idea seems to be that he's a decent finisher, so to somehow get him in the lineup.
    But he can't win much in the air, trouble anyone with pace, or dribble and cross it.

It's a headscratcher,

• He is indeed a decent finisher Malone as 54 goals in two seasons for Boston suggest but how often was he in a position to finish on Saturday (other than in a horribly crowded box)? Not once. Needs to be alongside Bayo in a 4-4-2 IMVHO.
    Really looking forward to a very different approach tomorrow but not holding my breath. The only tiny passage of play worth savouring on Saturday was the build-up to the fine save from PCH just before half time (and it wasn't even shown in the highlights - at least not the ones on TV. Haven't got round to the others yet).

• Just seen the Sky highlights. Quick on deck passing break and fine shot from PCH followed by only save of match by underworked Blackpool reserve 'keeper. Nice.

• I didn't notice him yesterday. I fear he's mere filler when played as one of the wider players.
    He'll never get in over Bayo, and it's not often we'd play him as part of a 2, so it's all a bit unclear how he can fit in.

• I feel slightly embarrassed to say so but wouldn't Dayle be effective in partnership with Bayo pending Kasket's return (next season I shouldn't wonder)?

• We need SOMEONE who can put the ball in the net.

• Maybe letting Dayle Southwell step foot in the penalty area would be a start.

• Exactly Righty (excuse familiarity) and I'm very much with you on the matter of the gormless use of one of (if not the) foulest swear words in the lexicon. Where is doc Congo lately?

• For what its worth, I thought last night that Dayle, whilst admittedly not looking like scoring, did a better job of chasing down and being a nuisance to the Plymouth defenders to stop or delay them from getting the ball forward than Paris did when he replaced him. After Paris came on, the ball started getting forward more quickly and more accurately from the Plymouth defence than it did when Dayle was chasing them down in the first half. And I didn't think Paris looked like scoring either, although getting himself a second yellow card was a possibility.

• You are right @Uncle_T that's the advantage of having a player who works his arse off rather than one whos waiting for the perfect pass to showcase his silky skills

• If given the chance of being a striker on the end of loads of chances at level 6, or basically being moulded into something of a defensive winger here, I wonder what he'd find more enjoyable!

• Sincerely hope Dayle is not being moulded into "something of a defensive winger". It's surely more a question of what fans

• .......would find more enjoyable.

• How many games has Southwell played with Bayo now? He started off the season with Hayes I think. He needs to learn (and quickly) where his partner is going to flick the ball onto and then I think he will have more chances. I don't think he had a sniff on Tuesday or Saturday.
    The extraordinary thing about Kashket was the way he clicked with Bayo from the first game they played together. Southwell has not clicked at all but I still have faith and hope that he will come good. The trouble is I am guessing that it will be too late for a play off push and with Kashket's **************** injury and him not due back until ************ we are just going to hit above mid table.