Skip to content

Match day thread: Carlisle

Comments

• Like others I thought we played really well today and did not get our just desserts. The holding of bayo is just getting embarrassing now but I thought Carlisle were a very good side who terrified our defence - and not just de Hav - with their pace on the break. They seemed to be on the attack every time we misplaced a pass so though the goals both looked very soft we did not lose to a poor side. If we can get something out of Colchester we should be back on track for Crawley. We created a lot of chances with a front three that have not played together (have they?) before so I don't feel the wheels are off yet!

• If we play like we did today we should take at least 6 points from the next 9 available. Carlisle are a decent side but we made both goals easy for them.

Paris and Bloomers back will certainly help the strength of the squad. Southwell back soon as well. Another good run and we will be in the mix at the end of the season.

• On another day we could of won that 5-2 we had numerous chances but the finishing wasn't there, I think blooms will make a difference being back he injected urgency when he came on. Good performance, unlucky result and one hell of shit ref.............@Wendoverman x

• They all are @bigred87 they all are

• I'm saying nothing about "could of" @bigred87. I agree with your comments.

• @Last_Quarter says there is no point in playing Akinfenwa if referees give fouls against him purely because he's stronger than the guy(s) challenging him. Really?
    Frustrating as this failure on the part of referees to grasp the physics may be, 13 goals suggest that there is every justification for him to be in the team.

I just hope that the intensive treatment which I understand Scott Kashket has been receiving more or less all season will ultimately prove successful. Just think where we would be now without the 28 goals the two of them have contributed!

• Played reasonably well buy if you concede soft goals and don't test the keeper with your own chances then it will always be extremely hard to get results.

• Let's all get to Colchester and do our bit

• I don't really recall having bundles of chances though, did we? I may be horrendously wrong, but did we work the keeper much?

Thought Carlisle defended very well, and although the Ref wasn't great, he was not the reason we lost 2-1.

• It's funny how you all watch the same game and have differences of opinion. I thought de Havilland had a reasonable game yesterday.

From the off they were clearly targeting him, and proctor is a great old fashioned centre forward. De Havilland won the majority in the air, he cleared the ball away from danger when required, which we didn't do at Stevanage. He made himself available for Blackman to roll the ball out.

I think Stewart was equally at fault for the goals, I think yesterday was more the centre back partnership not clicking than picking de Havilland out.

Lets not forget Blackman didn't make a save all day yesterday, so the two goals aside something was working

• Agree, asides from the goals I thought we defended pretty well against a side who were slick at counter attacking. De Hav had some dodgy moments, but on the whole did well.

• @micra - Apologies, I maybe worded that point badly. I've seen a lot of games this season and time after time Bayo has had fouls given against him when his arms aren't up, he's not holding etc. Refs seem to penalise him when they see his strength as an advantage and it's the most frustrating thing about having him in the team. I of course though don't think he should be anywhere near our bench, he's been a revelation this season.

• A pretty good performance against a good side although I think we lost belief a bit when Paris missed when he tried to lob the GK. I thought the last half hour or so was controlled really well by Carlisle - a bit like we are capable of at times but we certainly caused problems for the first hour.

I was impressed in part by the Watford lad. He's got good strength and speed but does drift in and out a bit. Paris was good for the first hour. Much better than his last couple of performances before his injury.

Agree with the comments about Saunders. A real class act. Thought Gape had one of his poorer games though. I hardly remember seeing him.

I also didn't think WDH did too bad against a good CF. I think he was at fault for the first goal but generally after that he seemed okay. I actually thought Harriman looked a bit lost - especially first half.

But overall other than the result a decent game

• @Last_Quarter - I'm really not sure what refs do see and they sometimes get it right, as indeed Mr Drysdale did early in the game when two defenders sandwiched Bayo and he awarded a free kick just outside the box. At that point I commented that it looked like we had a good referee. By the end of the game I was incensed by the number of times he was conned into giving free kicks.

• Kettle to Tuesday, things always have a downside.

• Do you think things could boil over?

• We are out of the Cup

• @Right_in_the_Middle , we've had epic choices at centre back over the year, we're spoilt. De Hav won't join that list for me. It's all about opinions though.
    Every ball is a real grapple to win for him, where Pierre and Stewart have so much more power and pace to deal.

Last player I thought was mediocre who went on to be good? Probably Charles Dunne. I'd take that sort of improvement.

• Wake up and smell the coffee, Eric?

• @Malone they are also much better in the air. For a tall centre half his heading is very poor.

• I have to say that I remarked on Saturday that WDH had a head like a threepenny bit or a 20P to be more up to date! On the positive side, he had to have won the header in order to misdirect it.

• edited February 2017

I'm hopeful, but also fairly concerned at the same time regarding Muller.

It's late ish Feb, and he's had a tiny handful of run outs, but if he's under De Havilland in the pecking order, is he simply there to make up the numbers?

I fear we'll find out in the summer when possibly both Stewart and Pierre go.
    Pierre will surely go, but Stewart I think is a real toss up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, or sign a 3 year deal!

• I am with Malone on this one. DeHaviland doesn't convince me at all right now but he is young and may, I hope, prove me wrong. At the moment and only in my humble opinion, both Muller and DeHaviland fall short of the level we need to compete at the top of this league.

• Muller would look ok in Conference South, I would prefer Sido in the middle than him.
    WDH though will come good and was ok yesterday.

• De Haviland is an adequate reserve at this level and as such we should keep him. Pierre however will need to be replaced by an experienced central defender or a young promising Premiership loanee.

• Far too early to pass judgement on Muller - but I'm guessing he hasn't come on quite as well as anticipated. As for WDH I'm in the unusual position of agreeing with @rmjlondon - I think he'll come good too - just probably not to the likely standard of some of the other CBs we've had-have

• we have been very spoilt recently with players, Mawson is probably close to a full england call playing as he is which I think has suprised everybody but what a fantastic achievement by the lad. Mc Carthy was top drawer also and Pierre has been very good but this season not at his high level in my opinion.

• Surprised some more than others, Rich.

• Then I think John Terry is still our best centre half and alfie isnt fit to lace his boots yet !!

• John Terry is a piece of shit scumbag who's not fit to lace his own boots.