Skip to content

Match day thread: Carlisle

Comments

• What a disappointing result, when we were 1-0 up after 2 mins!

Both goals were sloppy. I'd have to see both again, but the first goal had their man a fair distance out, central, De Hav not close enough jockeying, and their man somehow got a strike round him and beating Blackman.

Hit the post later and a few bits and pieces, but you can see why they have only lost 4 by mid Feb and are riding so high

• I agree with you fromtheside, De Hav not really up to it. We could always play Sido at centre back if Pierre is injured. I also feel Danny Rowe is a better centre back than DeHaviland.

We were pretty unlucky today though and a draw would have been a fair result.

I do feel that the 4-3-3 formation let's us down at home as the away sides come with 4 or 5 in mid-field and we get somewhat overrun every time. Time to change to a 4-4-2?

• Really good performance today and strong opposition. Not quite sure how we've not got at least a point, we could easily have score 4 or 5 on another day. We'll be fine if we carry on that level of performance.

Saunders was superb, really ran the show for much of the game before perhaps tiring towards the end. PCH & Jakubiak also both impressed up front, although Jakubiak needs to work on his finishing!

The ref made some perplexing decisions. I was bewildered by the free kick he gave against Bayo towards the end when he cleanly won the header over the defender. For me he won the header despite the defender trying to hold him, he was just too strong yet the ref gave it the other way.

Great upbeat speech by Ainsworth on 3Counties. I felt he was spot on in his assesment. Apart from the result and the 2 goals conceded, there's really nothing to be downbeat about, we were excellent. Possibly our best league performance of the season?

• Slot Pierre and a fit Kashket in and the team looks very good.

Assume Muller not fully fit?

• We cannot afford financially to have class central defenders sitting on the bench, hence we have to make do with the likes of De Haviland. However I feel Stewart and DeHaviland today were not getting adequate protection from the midfielders particularly Gape who I think had his poorest game so far. Again I think subs made far too late.

• To my point Mooneyman, the midfield 3 get overrun and then the back 4 are exposed. At times today none of the front 3 dropped in, and that causes a big issue. Also, Sido is surely a better bet than De Haviland.

• Muller sat on the bench @mooneyman

• That said. We did enough to draw or even win against a top 3 side.

• Agree completely about the formation and I believe the key to success in league 2 is width and pace 442 wood or Weston left PCH right lots of balls into the box rather than just hoofing it straight down the middle to bayo and expecting him to make things happen and it gives more cover to the back 4. I think 2 from gape o'nien and Saunders and rotate them game to game keeping them all fresh. I thought bayo did a great job today it was just one of those refs who didn't understand him. This all being said we should have got at least a point Carlisle settled for for 2 1 and saw it out for a lot of the second half fair play to them

• @fromtheside - Do you have evidence that Muller is a class defender, if so I would suggest you pass it on to Gareth!

• Spot on na104. On the positive side, we are just 1 point outside the play-off places with a game in hand. We also arguably have two of our best players out injured (Pierre and Kashket), so onward and upward.
    Please try 4-4-2 GA it may just surprise you! Also, you do not need to wait until the clock shows 70 mins gone to make a substitution.

• Not really but Gareth signed him on a 2 year deal I believe having played once or twice. He must see something in him.

• Looking forward to Southwell coming back as well think the issue GA has with muller is because of the mistake he made at Exeter de havseemed to jump ahead of him in the pecking order after that think the same may have happened with Sufi from Tuesday and now Harrimans favourite again

• Sorry auto correct side not sufi!

• It did it again sido

• Shame to hear De Havilland had a poor game as he looked very good indeed against Crewe in the second half. Perhaps he's a bit of a flat track bully, which isn't ideal in a defender.

• Muller from what Ive seen at Mansfield is not a League standard player infact far from it.

• I'm amazed someone has said they were impressed with Jakubiak but we all see games differently

• I thought he was good at times but drifts in and out too much @eric_plant.

• He was in and out of the game, but not afraid to take on the full back and he got into some really good scoring positions, just a shame he blazed a couple of very presentable chances over the bar. All in all I though he looked promising.

• @Last_Quarter and everyone else at the game who was slagging the ref for letting them taking an offside free kick in our half, that's the rules now. Offside free kicks are taken where the offside player touches the ball. It was Paris, I think, offside in their half (obviously) who ran back and when he played the ball he was in our half. The ref correct gave the free kick there.
    I didn't have a great view of the Bayo 'foul' but overwise I didn't think the ref got much wrong.

• Thanks @Doob - I'd missed that change but having checked online you're absolutely correct. I'll accept that the ref was right on that one but there was plenty else that I think he got wrong second half.

• I thought the ref gave the free kick for the foul rather than the offside but is that true about the kick being where the ball is touched? Seems open to abuse to me. I'd have thought all the cheating in League Two would have found an offside player chasing a ball to touch it down the pitch.

Shame De Haveland seems to be getting some stick. He's a young kid who's hardly played up against a decent centre forward today. He should have closed the first goal better but I thought he did OK and actually looked to distribute the ball rather than hoof it. Not being Aaron Pierre shouldn't be a reason to slag him off.

Jakubiak had a decent last 20 mins after being anonymous for long periods before that. Interesting to see him get the start over Thommo.

• FA Law 11 is the Off-side. It is indeed odd that the indirect free kick can now be given inside the defending half - it's all about becoming active. Similarly the free kick should be given when the player becomes active in the attacking half which could be well beyond where they start potentially disadvantaging the defending team. But that's how the law is now written.
    As regards the match overall we were relatively good going forward, finishing aside, but looked far too light in midfield. For me Gape, Sanders and O'Nien doesn't work together.
    GA seems to be playing 433 when we would be better off 442 getting someone closer to Bayo to feed off the knock downs/ flicks and giving an extra body in midfield.

• De Havilland hasn't played that much, but he's only 2 years younger than our main centre back pairing, with Pierre having only just hit 24 yesterday.

He's got a lot to do to show he's up to being a first teamer next year.

• just a thought on wide men is it time to widen the pitch?

• One big positive from today - the return to Blooms. I think he's going to be crucial to us turning this form around.

• I think Matt Bloomfield's Indian summer as an attacking midfielder may have come to a natural close with his injury, though his return will help relieve the pressure on Gape and O'Nien and allow one of the two to be rested every so often without having to rely on Marcus Bean. I think the attacking midfield position will likely be filled by a player called Sam up til the end of the season.

• Some interesting comments, maybe I'm too easily pleased, but I thought we played really well. In my opinion it was the exact opposite of the Portsmouth game the other week, that was a great result, but being objective, we didn't play at all well and were hugely fortunate to win. Today we were much superior, going forward at least, the only thing lacking was our ability to finish the numerous chances we created.

I felt we played much more football on the ground than of late and it was a real joy to actually see us passing it into Bayo's feet, rather than everything being in the air. He was able to show a different side to his game and he caused Carlisle real problems with his ability both in the air and on the deck.

Yes it was a big game and yes we lost, but I feel much more upbeat than of late. With players returning, if we can get 4 or 6 points from Colchester and Crawley, then we'll be right back on track.

Or maybe someone has slipped a happy pill into my drink!

• Luckily he's not showing you @Malone if he's a decent player. Can you honestly say he's not already shown enough promise. He has for me.

Still really struggle with these black and white snap assessments on young players. Can't see how they benefit anyone.