Skip to content

Stourbridge game now all ticket

Comments

• edited January 2017

@bookertease , Newport were very poor, but wouldn't have scored by now if we hadn't gifted them a goal. We learnt that if you take out our very effective and in form front 3, we don't have a lot under it, especially not together.

However, it shouldn't be forgotten that Stourbridge are a whole 3 divisions below.
    Won't be an easy game, but it'll take a colossal display from them and a massively underpar one from us. And we certainly won't be resting anyone this week!

• Knew the Welsh Cup Final mention would raise eyebrows - it always does!

DevC is pretty much spot on. English clubs always played in the Welsh Cup up until 1995. The change didn't quite overlap with the League of Wales being established - that was 1992. There's now no overlap, so that not only do Cardiff, Swansea and Newport not compete in the Welsh Cup, but neither do Welsh NL clubs playing in England, such as Merthyr and Colwyn Bay. Basically, clubs are either "English" or "Welsh" - they can't have it both ways!

Shrewsbury won it 6 times, Chester & Wellington Town (later Telford United) 3, Crewe & Oswestry 2, and Hereford Utd, Tranmere, Bristol City, South Liverpool & Oswestry White Stars (!) once. Kidderminster Harriers and Hednesford Town (near that famous Welsh fishing village of Cannock!) have also reached the final.

Not honestly sure of the historical reasons. It may have been to give the Welsh Cup a bit more prestige by including a couple more "big" clubs such as Shrewsbury/Hereford to break up the Cardiff/Swansea/Newport/Wrexham stranglehold, or it may have been a quid-pro-quo to allow those clubs to play in "our" Cup.

Incidentally, Worcestershire doesn't border Wales, although it sort of did when "Hereford & Worcester" was created as a single county. But then by that token Stourbridge became part of the West Midlands at the same rime.

Apologies for boring you all - I'm used to explaining it by now!

• @TRM not boring at all, cheers

• My knowledge of Northern geography fails again. Next you'll be telling me that the whole area is not overrun by feral ferrets and black puddings.

Enjoy your weekend, mate

• Midlands geography. Very much not the north.

• Anywhere north of Exeter is the Notth to me,Chris. All just a matter of degree after that.

• @DevC I believe the stock local response to that is "We ay southern twats, we ay northern twats, we'm Midlands twats"

• It's funny, all the many, many years we spent in the Southern League, we were "Dirty Northern B******s". Then we were switched to the Northern Premier League in 2014 and instantly became "Soft Southern B******s"!

Guess it's a bit like the Andy Murray British/Scottish thing...

• South Liverpool & Oswestry White Stars? That is a thing of beauty!
    To steal a Frank Skinner joke, the most unpopular bloke at their games must be the one who shouts 'Give me an S!'

• @bookertease I can't make Saturday, so would selfishly love a replay despite the obvious downsides for WWFC. Stourbridge has an excellent micro brewery - Sadler's Brewhouse and Bar, (which I see is reasonably near their ground) where I once enjoyed a brewing day, where you basically pay to do their job for them. Fantastic ales.

• @Jonny_King South Liverpool and Oswestry WS were two different clubs. I think '&' was used as it was the end of the sentence. I'm not sure if OWS was the old name of Oswestry Town but the later merged with LLansantffraid in the early nineties to form TNS and are currently breaking records in the Welsh League. They play in Oswestry, England.

• can anyone on here help a fellow chairboy supporter, i'm after a ticket but have no previous booking history!

• @LX1 Ah that's a shame! Thanks anyway

• 5,700 tickets have so far been sold. On that basis I imagine the final attendance will be 6,000 - 6,200, which seems pretty reasonable and suggests making it all ticket won't have a dramatic impact on numbers.

• Sounds like those of us who predicted close to 6000 have been vindicated.

• More importantly for the 3rd home game running we will have 4000+ home fans, when the casual/floating supporter starts making it a habit,then the addiction that many of us suffer is well under way.

• @ChasHarps said:
    More importantly for the 3rd home game running we will have 4000+ home fans.............."

Really?

• Not as it currently stands @micra

• Aah, I see. We are talking Chasisms here are we? Looking ahead to Luton and Portsmouth but presumably omitting Yeovil. Or was the number of Newport fans small enough for there to have been 4000 Wycombe fans at the game on Monday? Oh, sod it, do I really care?

• edited January 2017

I think you'll find that @ChasHarps is (almost) correct.
    v Leyton Orient 4517 att - 458 away = 4059 home fans
    v Newport 4288 att - 220 away = 4068 home fans
    v Stourbridge 6000+ att - 2090 away = 3910+ home fans

Now when you consider that prior to these games the number of home fans was hovering around the 3000 mark, we seem to have suddenly found nigh on a thousand extra fans from somewhere - which to my mind is both remarkable and exciting. If the team can still keep this great run going through January with some more big home games on the way, then as Chas said hopefully attendance will become a habit and then addiction to a fair proportion of those extra people.

So yes @micra you should care... ;-)

• @Fidget said:
    I think you'll find that ChasHarps is (almost) correct.

Now when you consider that prior to these games the number of home fans was hovering around the 3000 mark, we seem to have suddenly found nigh on a thousand extra fans from somewhere - which to my mind is both remarkable and exciting. If the team can still keep this great run going through January with some more big home games on the way, then as Chas said hopefully attendance will become a habit and then addiction to a fair proportion of those extra people.

So yes micra you should care... ;-)

Indeed I do! Thanks for clarifying this. I hadn't appreciated that the Orient game attracted quite that many but of course the £5 guest offer gave the gate a timely boost. That was a brilliant idea. Also, I reckon the home contingent on Saturday could reach 4000. As you say, remarkable and exciting.

• Even @bourne70 has made an appearance (on here). Mind you, golf in sub-zero conditions isn't a lot of fun. Welcome back anyway.

• Back to TV coverage, someone on the FB group has posted the Norwegian TV promo for the FA Cup. If other counties are interested in games the FA partners aren't, the clubs involved should be allowed to sell rights on a match by match basis, with the FA getting rights to the footage for highlights, etc should they wish as part of the deal.

• One day someone will write a book about all this...

• Give us a link would you!

• @Fidget said:
    I think you'll find that ChasHarps is (almost) correct.

That will be almost 4,000 in home areas, though I reckon a significant amount of those will be following Stourbridge (to differing degrees of conspicuousness). Still, the amount of Wycombe fans present will be far better than the pitiful 2,000 home fans at the 3rd round tie against the previous incarnation of Hereford United in 2011.

• That Hereford game is a gentle warning... although a fellow league team, most of us thought we'd stroll that one!

• Remember how good Manset was that night?

• What a load of bull!

• Stop talking such udder rubbish