Skip to content

Stourbridge game now all ticket

Comments

• @Doob said:
    4 weekends in a row, if you include Newport. Very unusual.

Almost as unusual as a Monday being the weekend.

• Without counting those chickens that are conspicuously standing over there in the corner - IF we were to beat Stourbridge and be drawn at home in the 4th round, then that is due to be played on the 28th January, which really would mean that we would be at home 4 consecutive weekends (call it 5 if you aren't a pedant like @perfidious_albion and don't mind classifying a public holiday as part of the weekend...).

In fact, we've then got Pompey at home on the 4th Feb, so that would be 5 (or 6) in a row. In the words of David Coleman (or was it just his Spitting Image puppet?) - quite remarkable.

• Or unbelievable as Kammy would say!

• Bit worrying @Fidget. Even season ticket holders might not be able to afford to get to all those games!

• So I thought I'd have a quick look at Stourbridge's website as I know next to nothing about them, and they seem to be on a rather good run of form themselves. Unbeaten in 13 having won 9 and drawn 4, and only conceded once in the last 5 games.
    I can already hear the moaners who sit around me complaining when we aren't 3-0 up after 10 minutes, but somehow I don't think they'll be the pushover that some are possibly expecting.

• They definitely won't be @Fidget.

• I don't think there will be much danger of complacency, not from our players or management anyway. We are well versed to being the 'underdog' particularly in Cup competitions historically! A difficult match with a large away support, hopefully our on fire attack can see us through and we can get a plum 4th Round tie

• The complacency will come from our moronic supporter element and this alone could be enough hinder the team if a bit of patience is required late on.

It's going to be a tough one on Saturday. Far tougher than Monday

• This tie is massive. We will have to work very hard to overcome their undoubted spirit, not to mention quality, that has got them this far. Of course on paper we should win, but it's the FA Cup. With our non-league history, we of all teams should recognise what a big game this is. As a level 4 team we matched a level 1 team 12 months ago in the same round. So you would think that level 4 v level 7 is certain to be just as tight (ok, form-wise Villa were struggling, whereas we are high on confidence, and we're at home, but even so, 90 minutes on the day and all that...) The match report from their previous round suggested that the effort they put in left them a little tired in the last quarter (yet they were still strong enough to score a set-piece winner). I wouldn't be surprised if the decisive action comes late on again...

• They will not be able to handle the BEAST !!

• From a Stourbridge perspective...

Really looking forward to this. Almost certainly the biggest game in our history - although some older fans might point to the 1974 Welsh Cup Final, which we lost over two legs to Cardiff City after beating Swansea and Wrexham on their own grounds.

I've been to AP once before as a neutral - from memory I think it was the Saturday of August BH weekend in 1992 - the start of your promotion season. I think you beat Altrincham 1-0. Obviously that was before the current main stand was built but I remember liking the place. Seemed to me to be one of the more imaginative and attractive new builds at that time.

I'm expecting us to lose, because that's what it says on paper. But I expected us to lose to Northampton, and to Whitehawk, and to Nantwich in the 4th Qual as well if I'm honest.

We are a decent team in decent form. Defensively we're fairly sound - only one goal conceded in the last six League or FA Cup games. And we have players up front who I think can cause problems - the fact that Northampton had four players booked for fouls might be an indicator of that.

But lightning rarely strikes twice, and we shouldn't really be beating one League team, let alone two. Always got a puncher's chance, though!

It would be nice if we could have had more tickets, particularly as it seems from the sales figures quoted today by WWFC that the ground will only be about half full. We took approx. 900 to Plymouth in 2011 and Stevenage in 2013 (both 2nd Round) but the club has grown since then, and this is the Third Round. Average League crowd this season 828 but that does include local derbies v Halesowen (1,575) and Rushall (1,431 on Boxing Day). Plus we benefit from a lot of "floating" Wolves and West Brom fans when their teams aren't playing.

I didn't think we'd sell 2,000 but the level of interest has been such that I think we could easily have sold another 1,000. However, even if any were offered at this stage it would probably be impossible to organise sales.

I would guess that with your ST holders offered the chance to buy their usual seats some of those will be in the areas we might theoretically have been given, ruling out much possibility of extending the areas allocated to us?

Gather from your website away fans have a marquee pre-match. Are we allowed in the bars at all? As someone else said, we're used to mingling and always happy to chat with opposing fans. Would assume sheer numbers would make that impossible on Saturday?

• The marquee is fairly modest in size and, for the match against Villa last year, their fans were spilling out (not their beer!) into the car park. It was all quite lively and the Villa fans we spoke to were, not surprisingly, pretty disgruntled with the way their season was
    going. I think it is just bottled beer in the marquee but I'm open to correction on that.
    Numbers shouldn't be a problem - I think there were 3000 Villa fans - and, unless you are unlucky enough to acquire a few Neanderthals because of the occasion, there should be a great atmosphere. We've even arranged for Saturday to be relatively mild. Hope you are able to enjoy the day and see an entertaining match, even if the result is a disappointment!

• I'm more nervous and excited ahead of Saturday's game than I have been for any match probably since the play offs. It's a huge match for us, as well as for Stourbridge. It'll be tough for us I'm sure, as they appear to be a very well organised outfit. I'd expect patience to be key from our point of view, both from the players and the fans. It would be nice to think we'll be able to come on strong in the closing stages if they tire.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    I'm more nervous and excited ahead of Saturday's game than I have been for any match probably since the play offs. It's a huge match for us, as well as for Stourbridge. It'll be tough for us I'm sure, as they appear to be a very well organised outfit. I'd expect patience to be key from our point of view, both from the players and the fans. It would be nice to think we'll be able to come on strong in the closing stages if they tire.

I share your feelings about Saturday. Bet I'm not alone.

• Enjoy your big day TRM. Vast majority of Wycombe supporters are a friendly bunch and it isn't too long since we were the non-league club living the dream on an FA Cup 3rd Rd adventure. On paper we should win fairly comfortably, time will tell.

• There's also a very healthy £67,500 in prize money for the winning side on Saturday, along with whatever rewards might be accrued from a 4th round tie.

That'd be a good slug of cash to get at the beginning of the transfer window wouldn't it.

A quick rummage around the internet also suggests that there's £40,000 on offer to the winners of the Checkatrade Trophy match up at Blackpool on Tuesday.

So all in all if we can keep our run of form going it could be a very lucrative week for our club.

• I'm getting more nervous the closer we get to Saturday. Hope we can pull in over 4000 home fans. Early goal will settle nerves

• I'm beyond nervous.
    Not to 'Torquay' levels... but that fourth round spot is within touching distance!
    Stourbridge will be thinking exactley the same though.
    I think it could be an absolute belter of a game... pity the telly folk can't see past the Premier league floozies flashing a bit of leg.

• You have a nice turn of phrase @Weegie . Are you a writer perchance?

• @TheatreOfChairs , wow that is a tidy winners sum for the Blackpool game!
    Certainly worth the winning, and what a few days of prize money it could be if we were to win both.

However, it's football, and we do have a way of making things tough.

I'm just looking forward to a game against a team we've never played, it's such a dull draw when you get the same division.

• Floozies flashing a bit of leg" someone get DevC a chair and a glass of water

• Should be a good FA cup tie with both sides having a lot to play for. This could be quite a pivotal month for WW so I for one am pretty excited about all the home games!

• @trm Welsh cup final?

• I feel pretty confident for a Wycombe win on Saturday although, as match day approaches, I am finding myself increasingly haunted by memories of a cold, foggy afternoon at Eastwood Town. I remember also being pretty confident prior to that disaster.

• Backalong Chris, the Welsh Cup featured English clubs (eg Hereford, Shrewsbury) broadly in the vicinity as well as Welsh clubs playing in the English league (eg Swansea). Believe that all changed when the League of Wales was set up and the Welsh Cup effectively became the League of Wales League Cup. Vaguely remember that if an English team won, it was not allowed to take up a place in the old European Cup Winners Cup but Welsh teams were.

• Very broadly in the vicinity!

• Don't know how they decided to be honest. Believe Stourbridge was in Worcestershire which has a border with Wales. Was that the decider?

• @Uncle_T said:
    I feel pretty confident for a Wycombe win on Saturday although, as match day approaches, I am finding myself increasingly haunted by memories of a cold, foggy afternoon at Eastwood Town. I remember also being pretty confident prior to that disaster.

One would hope Gareth would not let that happen he has his eye on the financial benefits which in turn would mean adding to the squad,possible success on the pitch leading to a higher profile for him the players and the club. This present team and management are far more focused on the matter in hand.

• Hard to imagine Stourbridge will be worse than Newport and it took a fluke/wonder goal to actually beat them (ok I know it wasn't our new first choice front 3 but...).

I also wouldn't be too upset sbout a replay although not sure my nerves would agree

• I don't like the idea of it going to a replay as I'll be out of the country when it is likely to be played; just like I was for the replay against Basingstoke that Wycombe managed to lose.