Skip to content

Radio Coverage & Blog

Comments

• @Bluntphil - fabulous piece.

• Thanks so much for writing and sharing that @bluntphil - a brilliant piece

• Loved the article @bluntphil, sums it all up beautifully.

• @a40 ,yep. And wasn't the first, a straight sending off for a handball about 40 yards from goal!?
    I remember O Neill saying something along the lines that if that was a goal scoring opportunity than the opponent should be playing for someone just a little better!

• Steve McGavin wasn't it?

• Thanks for the lovely comments on the Physco piece, it was a pleasure to put together. They really were the best of times.

The other week, a young student called Nicholas Jones shadowed the commentary at Adams Park to gather material for his university major project. It also features top broadcasters Russell Fuller and Simon Brotherton (proper commentators!) and is a good insight into the world of sports commentary.

• Sensational scenes!

• BLOG: The end of another football season. Includes an interview with Gareth Ainsworth...

https://philcatchpole.com/2017/05/07/the-long-winding-road/?iframe=true&theme_preview=true

• Here we go again...

Pre season interview with Gareth Ainsworth, hopefully covering lots of topics for the football chat starved amongst us... Roll on August!

https://philcatchpole.com/2017/07/20/the-door-is-wide-open-for-aaron-pierre/

• Excellent stuff @bluntphil thanks for that.

• No worries @Wendoverman. Apologies to all that I couldn't steer the conversation onto postcodes of the UK.

• Well, you cannot cover everything in 12 minutes. Postcodes just leads onto naming Motorways and I'm sure your time was limited.

• @bluntphil. Good stuff - thanks. Next time, remember to ask him what's his favourite power station. I recall that, controversially, it's Heysham.

• Hello all,

The new season is nearly upon us and I'm sure that you are all as excited as me about the long road ahead.

I'm in for another season to provide the commentary on BBC3CR and Chairboys Player/iFollow (whatever it's called these days). I got the broadcast schedule through from 3CR for the first chunk of games (up to 2nd Sept) and the good news is that all of these games will be broadcast live. However, they are all going to be on the 3CR MW/AM frequencies which are 630 & 1161.

I'm told that the iFollow streaming service for overseas won't carry a commentary on top of the visuals, but the UK audio service will be the 3CR commentary as normal. Fingers crossed the new company has better technology than the last provider and the dropouts and delays are now a thing of the past.

I've got gigs this Saturday and the following Saturday so in my absence we will have the company of Joe Shennan who is excellent.

I'll be behind the mic for Fulham on Tuesday and I'm looking forward to it already.

COYB!

Phil

• Thanks for the update Phil. I read somewhere that the audio commentary would be available along with the video feed for overseas ifollow customers. It'd be a great shame if that wasn't the case.

• This is what I read for the season pass on iFollow. It sounds like we should have commentary:

Season Pass

Watch matches live in HD and access premium content throughout the season

Watch matches live in high definition
    Live audio commentary of all matches
    Full match replays
    Video highlights
    Behind the scenes content
    Receive the weekly club newsletter †

• If it doesn't, could, in theory, an overseas fan play the match on their computer and then play the BB3CR commentary on iPlayer on another device? Probably wouldn't sync up perfectly, but better than nothing.

• Is that DJ gigs Phil or are you going to gigs?

• Watch matches live in high definition
    Live audio commentary of all matches

There's an OR missing between those then isn't there. That's a real shame and a missed opportunity.

• Great news that we have you back for another season though @bluntphil

• @floyd @shev I will seek further clarification from the club, but I was told that getting the radio audio over the top of the stream from the ground is not currently possible. I don't know how the streaming technology works, but one big stumbling block that I do understand is that at Adams Park, the commentary box is on the opposite side of the ground to the camera!

@Jonny_King the only place to get the commentary audio online will be through Player/iFollow as BBC do not have the licence to broadcast Football League games online. Your theory will rely on being able to have the stream and audio options running at the same time.

• @peterparrotface DJ gigs, I need the cash!

• How many times do you spin 'Ossie's dream'? @bluntphil

• Thanks @bluntphil. I haven't shelled out $140 yet, since it's a couple of months until i'm free on Saturday morning, but hopefully i'll buy a game pass for Fulham...fingers crossed!

• @Wendoverman Nowhere near as much as I would like! I'm in Liverpool this weekend so can't imagine that being a crowd favourite up there either.

@floyd probably a wise approach as 'hopefully' the first few weeks will be the best indication of how it will all work.

• @bluntphil I hadn't even thought about it from that angle, but you're exactly right!

• Anyone know if I will be able to listen to the commentary out here in Greece? I have paid my ifollow subscription and can currently listen to interviews, however live streaming may be different?

• An article on the in form Marcus Bean.

One of my favourite co-commentators is due a goal.

https://philcatchpole.com/2017/11/18/bean-a-long-time/

• Great to see Bean become a crowd favourite after some unfair criticism over the years. And even among the high points of yesterday the massed shout of 'shoot!' when he got the ball about 40 yards was a joyous moment. His goal will come. My money is in the 90th minute of our 3rd round cup game at the Emirates in January to seal his legend.