Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Anyone know how Anthony Straker got on today?

• I have absolutely zero recollection of Anthony Straker, yet apparently he scored 6 in 4 for us?

• edited November 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    I have absolutely zero recollection of Anthony Straker, yet apparently he scored 6 in 4 for us?

No, wiki have made a hash of that. Look at his Aldershot and Southend goals for goodness sake!

He was one of the flood of average Aldershot background players Waddock brought in.

• Hardly violent conduct by Pierre, the Oxford City player made an absolute meal of a tiny amount of contact whilst they were both getting up off the floor having competed for a header. Amusing to see them both get sent off though, serves him right for rolling around on the floor clutching his face.

Just shows that for all those who champion non-league football as the 'honest, no time-wasting, fair play throughout occasion' it really is just as cynical as the professional game.

• @Croider said:
    Hardly violent conduct by Pierre, the Oxford City player made an absolute meal of a tiny amount of contact.

That sounds familiar...

• @Wendoverman said:

@Croider said:
    Hardly violent conduct by Pierre, the Oxford City player made an absolute meal of a tiny amount of contact.

That sounds familiar...

Still remember the fb thread about it. And the irony of one of the little gang saying how people doubting it all would look really silly.

• @Croider said:
    Hardly violent conduct by Pierre, the Oxford City player made an absolute meal of a tiny amount of contact whilst they were both getting up off the floor having competed for a header. Amusing to see them both get sent off though, serves him right for rolling around on the floor clutching his face.

Just shows that for all those who champion non-league football as the 'honest, no time-wasting, fair play throughout occasion' it really is just as cynical as the professional game.

Just watched it back and that's an incredible decision.
    Their guy kicked out at him a bit after he landed on him.

But Pierre basically got up didn't do anything and slightly touched him from behind.
    Terrible "evening up" reffing

• Surely most non-league football is professional these days, albeit often part-time professional in tier 6 and below?

• Mickey Bell’s son Sam made his debut for Bristol City today. Dad manages Clevedon in the Western League

• @DevC said:
    Mickey Bell’s son Sam made his debut for Bristol City today. Dad manages Clevedon in the Western League

Now that is pretty amazing.

Will always remember the intense disappointment when he walked out in the summer of 97.
    There was a real optimism about the place, and he was a critical part of our set up.
    Not being the best defender or winger, he was a superb wing back.

Then he walked out, for a pitiful fee (150k when City then sold their wingback for 750k) and he only played the 1 season in the tier above us, although with no doubt at all made more coin.

• @Malone said:

@DevC said:
    Mickey Bell’s son Sam made his debut for Bristol City today. Dad manages Clevedon in the Western League

Now that is pretty amazing.

Will always remember the intense disappointment when he walked out in the summer of 97.
    There was a real optimism about the place, and he was a critical part of our set up.
    Not being the best defender or winger, he was a superb wing back.

Then he walked out, for a pitiful fee (150k when City then sold their wingback for 750k) and he only played the 1 season in the tier above us, although with no doubt at all made more coin.

That one was extremely annoying, he'd been outstanding as a wing back , a real threat every time he got the ball, the contract expiring had been something mentioned a lot in the press. City and others were sniffing round but didn't bid earlier and the tribunal fee was laughable.

• Eze with an absolute MOTM performance as Palace thump West Brom 5-1

• Dan Scar scored for Walsall.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Dan Scar scored for Walsall.

Oh, that's good. Didn't know he'd found his way there. Good for him.

• @Malone said:

That's putting it mildly. The nickname Judas may have been a slight overreaction in hindsight but it felt like he earned it at the time.

• edited December 2020

@BlueBoy said:

@Malone said:

That's putting it mildly. The nickname Judas may have been a slight overreaction in hindsight but it felt like he earned it at the time.

I was a lot younger back then of course, and with age you get over players moving a lot more, recognising our place in the food chain.

But I truly can't remember a more disappointing sale.
    There's been a lot better players leaving, but they've always gone for a fairly good price, to a team operating at a higher level or both.

To go for a joke fee to Bristol in the same tier and only spend 1 season at a higher division in about 6 years really was a kick in the face.

• @Malone, agreed. He was my favourite player at the time too so I was especially disappointed.

• Don't know if it's been posted before, but I noticed that Nathan Lugg is the 1st team kit man at Aldershot.

• an Ady Mann story from a friend who used to referee:
    I remember booking Ady Mann for a late challenge on the GK. I asked him his name. He replied helpfully 'you know who I am'. I told him I didn't and asked again and he said 'you know my fking name'. So I said 'I really don't. I just need you to give me your name so I don't have to send you off!'
    So he says 'Ady Mann. Told you you know who I f
    king am' to which I replied 'never heard of you!'

• Is this Aidy Mann?

I thought there was some "Andy Capp" style gag I was missing before I googled "Ady Mann"!

• Adrian Mann 87-88 season, but my friend prompted by a team photo of Woodford in 2000 where he was player-manager referred to him as Ady.

• From what I can remember, in his early games he played a bit like a Noel Ashford 2.0, but that didn't last long.

• Adrian Mann and Lawrence Osbourne arrived at the same time, were amazing for a little while and then disappeared.

• Seem to remember Osborne was almost always injured.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Seem to remember Osborne was almost always injured.

Yes, he actually went one league up from us when Jim Kelman let him go. Although he spent most of the year on the treatment table!!!

I vaguely remember Ady Mann, and him scoring a lot of goals, then disappearing. I also remember Graham Westley playing for us!!!

• I was probably one of about 100 people who saw Adie Mann's debut in the capital lge.
    At the time we were unsure if he signed or was on trial, it was one of the most mind blowing performances I've ever seen.
    Sadly despite incredible talent, Adie played only for himself, and despite his lovely close control and low gravity that tied defenders in knots, his career went on a steady downward decline .

• For all the talk pre-season that we needed to sign someone like (or actually him) Jamal Blackman in goal, it was interesting that he was dropped to the bench for Rotherham yesterday

• Flashes today of the kind of brilliance from Eze that we relished for all too short a period a couple of seasons ago. BBC Sport haven’t credited him with the assist which led to Palace’s well deserved equaliser against Tottenham - a goal converted from Eze’s free kick. He also hit a post earlier in the game.

• @micra said:
    Flashes today of the kind of brilliance from Eze that we relished for all too short a period a couple of seasons ago. BBC Sport haven’t credited him with the assist which led to Palace’s well deserved equaliser against Tottenham - a goal converted from Eze’s free kick. He also hit a post earlier in the game.

No assist as it came off Lloris