Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @perfidious_albion said:
    McFlurry’s lob vs Torquay at Plainmoor possibly one of the most important goals in the clubs history?

I would argue it was the Mansfield goal away at Brizzle Rovers that was more important.

• I liked Matt McClure for us...a hard worker who always put in a shift

• And a good finisher.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    McFlurry’s lob vs Torquay at Plainmoor possibly one of the most important goals in the clubs history?

I would argue it was the Mansfield goal away at Brizzle Rovers that was more important.

You are undoubtedly correct. Gas 0 Sir Colin Daniel 1 THE most important (as opposed to my assertion ‘one of’)?

@EwanHoosaami said:

@perfidious_albion said:

You are undoubtedly correct. Gas 0 Sir Colin Daniel 1 THE most important (as opposed to my assertion ‘one of’)?

Would have been the most annoying irrelevance in history though without Wycombe winning too.

• @floyd said:

@perfidious_albion said:

One of those rare days the ice cream machine was working.

He drove me wild. Decent touch and mostly decent finisher but SO soft for a big centre forward. Had to temper my constant raging once I realised his dad sat in front of me in the Beachdean most games - whoops?

@floyd said:

@perfidious_albion said:

One of those rare days the ice cream machine was working.

He drove me wild. Decent touch and mostly decent finisher but SO soft for a big centre forward. Had to temper my constant raging once I realised his dad sat in front of me in the Beachdean most games - whoops?

He was hardly big was he? Average height, fairly skinny. Very much the pacy part of a traditional duo?

• @Malone said:

He was hardly big was he? Average height, fairly skinny. Very much the pacy part of a traditional duo?

Fair enough 5ft8”, next to Steven Craig everyone looked big!

• Still don't think the goal to put us 3-0 up in the 2nd half when we were entirely reliant upon a result elsewhere can be described as the most important in our history

• @eric_plant said:
    Still don't think the goal to put us 3-0 up in the 2nd half when we were entirely reliant upon a result elsewhere can be described as the most important in our history

Then you're in luck, because that's exactly not what he described it as.

• One of then, the point still stands

• You've gone full Dev with the misquoting today. There were two qualifiers, "possibly" and "one of".

• Right, ok

I don't think it was possibly one of the most important goals in our history, or anywhere near it

I'd have thought that was obvious

• To quote Paul Lambert "the goal changed nothing"

(feel free to correct me if I've got the exact wording wrong)

• I don't often agree with Eric but we were already 2-0 up and against ten men when Mcclure scored. Our game felt over already and attention already largely focused on what was happening 100 miles up the road.

McClure's run to earn the penalty to make it 2-0 could very well be regarded as "possibly one of the most important runs to earn a penalty in our history" though.

• Oh god, I've summoned him. I thought that only happened if I typed it backwards three times in a mirror.

• I'd actually tend to agree too, though if you had to pick the 1000 most important goals in our history it might be in there? Maybe.

• Remembering back to that day I wasn't counting a win at 2-0. Even against 10 men. 2-0 is a very old score as a goal back really puts you on the back foot and at that time confidence was so fragile in a fractured squad.
    McClures goal allowed me to take a breath. It also allowed a bit more time to keep up to date with updates on my phone and worry if my battery would keep going to the end.
    That goal is not the most important goal but would be a list of those key to our history. All three goals would. Plus a fair few others as @drcongo says

• Makes this last little exchange a touch pointless then

• All depends on the context. That 3rd goal was enough (especially against 10 men) for us (supporters) to relax about our result. Quite possible the tension from worrying about two possible results could have had tragic personal results. And who knows, perhaps the almost confirmation of our win as a result of the goal added to more panic and urgency in the Bristol Rovers crowd, which then could have been felt by their players who then started to snatch at their shots more in the last few minutes.

(But yes, a little hyperbolic but didn’t really merit the put downs).

For what it’s worth, I liked McClure as a footballer mainly for the 2 goals he scored in a 3-2 win at Rotherham (after a goal against in the first minute), which lifted us off the bottom of the Football League, which I think was the one and only game in our history (so far...) which we went into in that position.

• Yes, his performance in that win at New York is my abiding memory of him. I always liked him too and expected his career to kick on.

• My abiding memory of Matt McClure is him getting sent off a minute after coming on as a substitute at Tranmere. He never reached his potential with us, though expectations had perhaps been raised too high by the previous gentlemen who'd come off the Dobson production line. Still, he seemed likable and tried hard (as perhaps evidenced by the Tranmere episode).

• Darren Currie apparently high on the list to take over at Wigan

• George Borg has stepped down as Braintree Town manager.

• Hard to believe he’s only 52.

• Hi all - random trip down memory lane; can anyone help me with the name of this player? He played in the 90s or 00s around Sanchez time (but could be a bit earlier or later), made a handful of appearances at left back (I think), retired from the game aged around 20 to study Law (I think). Seem to remember a connection with Barnet but I may have imagined that.

• In that case he signed for Wanderers as a 12 year old !! Must be at least 62.

• Sounds like Andy Reilly.

@Swiss_Exile said:
    Hi all - random trip down memory lane; can anyone help me with the name of this player? He played in the 90s or 00s around Sanchez time (but could be a bit earlier or later), made a handful of appearances at left back (I think), retired from the game aged around 20 to study Law (I think). Seem to remember a connection with Barnet but I may have imagined that.

• Ah yes - Andy Reilly - thanks!