Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Kevin Betsy interviewed on the Today programme about training Jude Bellingham as a teenager. On at 7.45am if anyone wants to listen back.

• Thanks @aloysius. Might be tempted.

• We’ll be facing Ryan Allsop for the first time since he left us as he’s signed for Birmingham City.

• edited June 18

Point of order @glasshalfempty , he played in JJ’s testimonial against Cardiff.

• Play Sam Vokes and put in thousands of crosses on about the six yard line

• Vokes will be stood in the centre circle though.

• "standing"

• "would"

• Sammy Sammy would Sammy would, Sammy Sammy would.

• Max Stryjek completes a move back to Poland to join Jagiellonia Bialystok on a 2 year contract. His new club were Polish champions last season, so Max will be playing in the Champions League next season. This feels like quite a move for him.

• Purely speculation but might explain what happened last season. He knew it was on the cards therefore didn’t want to sign a new contract and Matt Bloomfield therefore determined that he’d rather give the first team opportunities to his potential replacement.

If so, they probably both did the right thing.

• I have, but I didn't imagine for a moment that what you meant was that someone else was going to put him or instruct him to stay in the centre circle.

Thanks for the clarification

• That would be active voice on the behalf of a secondary subject. There was a single subject in my sentence, the passive voice for the state of the single subject is "stood".

• Oh wait, is this footballese again?

• Is it just me imagining @eric_plant and @drcongo in a weird mid 70s / mid 90s hybrid sitcom?

(But excellent entertainment people - keep it up)

• Ali Al-Hamadi .. potential loan move to Oxford... ouch

• Does anyone else have nightmares that Freddie Potts will be loaned to Oxford next season too?

• No, he’ll be in the West Ham first team squad.

• Max’s first interview with his new club (in Polish, translate with the internet app of your choice) - some interesting tidbits although not sure how much is lost in translation!

https://www.jagiellonia.pl/aktualnosci/stryjek-jezeli-dzwoni-mistrz-polski-nie-moge-zastanawiac-sie-dwa-razy

• Good to see him looking so happy

• STRYJEK: IF THE POLISH CHAMPION CALLS, I CAN'T THINK TWICE

- Playing for Jagiellonia is a new challenge for me. I am happy that I got this opportunity. It is a huge vote of confidence from the coach and the staff. I will try not to disappoint the expectations. I will do everything to represent Jagiellonia as best as possible - said our new goalkeeper, Max Stryjek, after signing a contract with "The Pride of Podlasie".

- I lived on the Islands for 11 years, but I always speak Polish, I am proud to be Polish. I already have over 250 appearances at a professional level in senior leagues in Great Britain. I played not only in England but also in Scotland, where I competed in the Premiership. Playing for Jagiellonia is a new challenge for me. I am happy that I got this opportunity. It is a huge vote of confidence from the coach and the staff. I will try not to disappoint the expectations. I will do everything to represent Jagiellonia as best as possible - said the goalkeeper of the Yellow and Reds.

What influenced your decision to move to Jagiellonia? - Honestly, I was getting a bit tired of the English mentality. Additionally, I can't hesitate if the Polish champion calls me. I decided that I had to make the move. I had inquiries from the Championship as well, but nobody could guarantee me the same development as Jagiellonia, which has a great project. I want to be a part of it.

How does Max evaluate his time on the Islands? Does Scottish football significantly differ from English football? - I practically traveled all over the British Isles - I played in Scotland, in Sunderland I was for seven years. After leaving Sunderland, I ended up in the fifth league. When people hear about it, they laugh, saying where is the professionalism, but professionalism in England starts from the fourth division. Then I went to Scotland for two years. The level was... There were good teams there, but it was still a level below Celtic and Rangers, like League One or League Two in England. Then I went to Wycombe, playing in the third tier with the aim of promoting to Championship. Unfortunately, later the coach left for QPR, and I was looking for other options. I considered returning to Poland and a great opportunity arose, so I thought "Why not?".

In the spring of this year, the new Jagi goalkeeper had a short loan spell at Crewe Alexandra. - I played all matches at Wycombe, but at some point, I stopped playing. The club probably wanted to annoy me because I didn't want to extend my contract. From one day to the next, I found out from the tactics board that I wouldn't be playing. I said, well, I won't beg, even though in the EFL Trophy semi-final, I was the player of the match and we reached Wembley thanks to me. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to play in the final. My mom fervently prayed and said that I would play at Wembley. In the meantime, a month before the end of the season, Crewe Alexandra called me, fighting for a place in the League One playoffs, asking if I would like to join them for the last three matches. They didn't have any healthy goalkeepers at that moment, and in such a situation in Great Britain, you can loan a player outside the transfer window if the clubs agree. It fell on me. The club still gave me a hard time, didn't want to let me go, but after two days of debate, we reached an agreement. I joined Crewe and played at Wembley, as my mom prayed. One of my dreams came true. Maybe it's not fulfilling my ambitions because it was a match to enter the third tier of play, but the dream of playing at Wembley came true. I am happy about that.

Max is stepping into big shoes, as he will have the task of replacing Zlatan Alomerovic. - He is aware of that. I have previously mentioned how much I appreciate the trust from the coaches, staff, and directors. I know the responsibility that rests on my shoulders. I will try to share my experiences from the west. I will strive not to disappoint, I will give my all, both on the field and off it. I will develop as both a person and a player. I will give my all for Jagiellonia.

- As for the trophy behind me, I would like to lift it in the future, but I don't want to jinx it and touch it now. I have not deserved to touch it because I did not participate in the last season. Of course, I congratulate Jagiellonia on winning their first ever championship, but for now, I don't want to touch it. I hope that we repeat this success in the next season. It will be tough, but you have to aim high - stated Max.

What are Max's first impressions after visiting Bialystok? - The city is growing, developing. I am pleasantly surprised by the reception and professionalism at the club, as well as the training facilities. I had no expectations, because I didn't want to feel unsatisfied. I thought, I'll go and see what happens. I had no expectations.

What dreams and goals are associated with moving to Jagiellonia? - A big dream is to reach the Champions League. In the league, I would like to repeat what Jagiellonia achieved last season, which is winning the Polish championship.

• Poor management from the club to let him go. We should’ve got a fee for Stryjek. Top goalkeeper.

• Interesting that he claims it was he who refused to extend, and that he also seems to tie his happiness to Ainsworth a little.

• Have to give a little license to the translation being less than 100%, but not sure we got to the final entirely thanks to him. That and a couple of other comments are interesting.