Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Dayle Southwell released by NLN side Alfreton. The only player not retained for the coming season.

• Quite honestly it's not Tool's attacking moments that mattered. For that back post deflection which prevented an otherwise certain goal (Ok, it was Poxford so he might still have missed) he'll always be a WWFC legend.

I'd still be astonished if he returned to AP though. That said I'm still eating my hat over GMac's broken tibia so what do I know.

• I'd definitely have Stewart back. Fantastic player for us, and far better on the ball than many of the posters on here give him credit for

• It’s a no from me. The game v Oxford was one of the great individual performances but last season he struggled and became predictable in both defence and passing. I will keep my very fond memories and wish him well.

• His second last game for us was an absolute masterclass against MK, last season he was all over the place having been hung out to dry after being overpromoted and then joining a shambles club and being injured.

For me it's about Taff, if he can get fit and back in form, not leave, and play all season then we'll be fine with the others round him , but I think we need at least one new high quality Centreback. Same in centre mid and wide / striker.

• We knew that Horgan was on our released list anyway, so it’s kind of irrelevant that Stevenage have officially “returned” him to us as the parent club, but Adam Przybek, who was Stevenage’s player, has also been released by SFC.

• I think his performance against MK was largely overshadowed by Stockdale's. That game still sends shivers down my spine. The most exhausting game I can remember. Hated pretty much 80 minutes of it.

• That was one weird game wasn't it.

Utterly backs to the wall throughout.

• edited May 2023

Last season, the weight of responsibility surprisingly (perhaps) bestowed upon him as team captain and the constant abuse he was subjected to for most of the season eventually became too much. Many other players in that situation would have succumbed much sooner but Anthony soldiered on and, despite everything, helped to keep Aberdeen competitive. They are a big club, as their third place finish behind Celtic and Rangers testifies.

He was outstanding for MK Dongs at Adams Park last month (?) despite that having been his first game back after injury.

I too would have him back in the proverbial heartbeat.

• There's no way an Ainsworth team would have performed like Peterborough did last night.

• He was at fault for our first goal. I don't think he was outstanding in any way. He was never captain at Wycombe so why Aberdeen thought he was captain material for them I have no idea. He made errors in his dealing with the media as he simply was not used to the heightened level of scrutiny (the club didn't help him there for sure).

He was a great servant for us. We / he chose to go our own ways last year and I applaud him for wanting to test himself elsewhere (again). But no, I would not want to see him back. Nostalgia is no reason to sign a player.

• Yeah what we need is an experienced youngish proven League One defender Bloomy has seen in action, perhaps with a couple of promotions under his belt, who has the right attitude for this club. Re-signing Stewart would be madness.

• That had echoes of our 5-5 Cheltenham game...thinking you've finally pulled it back out of the fire to be hit with a sucker punch. Upset me when it happened to us. Laughed like a drain last night.

• Scott Kasket leaving Gillingham.

• Russell Martin set to be named Southampton manager

• The lads done good. Big challenge there for sure. Massive clear out required to balance the books or roll the dice and try and go straight back up with the same squad

• Hopefully good for us for loans

• edited May 2023

I like Russell...but some of these appointments do surprise me a bit. And probably, as usual, Sol Campbell.

I would have gone for a Warnock or a decent foreign coach if you want to go up...but with a 13th place finish in League One, 15th and 10th place finishes in Championship if you want a reasonable but unremarkable league position, I suppose he'll be okay.

I hope to be proved wrong.

• Steve Perrin just scored for Crystal Palace v Southampton, 1977, Big Match Revisited on ITV4+1.

• Oh, dear, @Wendoverman. I fear your irony will sail well above many heads. Something the ball rarely did when “Tools” was under it.

But many a true word (preceding your last sentence) is spoken in jest.

• I’ll have to take your word for the culpability of “Tools” for our first goal against MK. My judgment was based on his overall performance which I think many on here saw as a pretty good one, typically for someone returning to a former club.

• Inevitable after a miserable season, but still sad to see.

I just won't accept he hasn't got some magic at league 2 level in the right set up.

• edited May 2023

I can barely remember the last game, let alone MK, but you're definitely right on the captaincy issue.

Not only was he never captain here, he was never one of the "generals". Despite players with less years service and being younger in age being given the nod, like Gape.

Making him captain was an utterly daft call. He already had enough on his plate moving 400miles away, into a new league, much bigger club etc. To saddle him with the captaincy pressure on top was utterly scandalous mis-management.

• I would definitely sign Stewart as a squad member.

• I was at Spurs v Brentford today, a shambolic capitulation from the home side.

But.

Before it all went tits up in the second half, a familiar face came on the video screen at half time, one Stuart Lewis…

which confused me for the couple of seconds it took me to read “U18 coach” at the bottom of the screen - apparently his side just lifted the U18 Premier League Cup and thus got an H/T lap of honour - I guess Spurs will take any silverware they can get etc.

• Eze gets his first England call-up

• edited May 2023

Russell Martin to Southampton imminent

• Not that imminent surely

• Surprised no-one's asked if we get a fee for this 🤗

• Surprised no-one's asked if we get a fee for this