Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• I stand corrected.

Although I can't help but think that Pete is a little optimistic to think player sales can cover losses of £3M per year! That was never going to happen.

• I agree! It is definitely concerning if that is a vital part of the plan.

• I genuinely apologize if I offended you, @DevC (or anyone else, for that matter) - that was certainly not my intent at all.

• Absolutely.

One of the things that I really love about this place is that challenge to one’s views is usually accepted and then requires you to think a little more and deeper about conducting a robust defence, which I find healthy.

My challenge to your summarisation (No z!!!!) would be we don’t actually know how much we did get for Anis so we don’t actually know if we got value for money for him or not. So technically you really need to put in a “what I think…” but then that is pretty boring and unlikely to generate any furious and (occasionally) eloquent counter-arguments, so on reflection, spot on!!! Go for it.

• Just one of my pet hates, @Shev

No offence taken on my side (and I hope not on yours). You seem a decent guy to me.

• Hakan Hayrettin new manager of Dulwich Hamlet.

• I’m very much in the disappointed camp, like you @Shev, whether perceived/imagined (certainly not verifiable) shortcomings in the framing of the original contract (eg a modest minimum level fee to activate a release clause) or more recent negotiating factors led to what you, I and others see as a disappointing outcome is of course, from our (Gasroom) point of view, purely speculative.

A major component of my own disappointment is topical. Tomorrow’s opponents have made many millions from player sales over recent years. Perhaps they could offer us some useful advice! (Tongue in cheek, of course, especially if we beat them.).

I’m pretty sure that the age balance of Exeter’s squads will have been very different from ours. The predominance of older players at Adams Park in recent years has obviously limited the scope for development (through regular first team football) of talented youngsters and I think, for that reason as well as budgetary considerations, we will see an increasing number of younger players being drafted in.

• Exeter's model,@micra is very different to ours.

They have a full youth academy taking kids from your ages right through to hopefully their first team. They have the geographical advantage that if you are a talented young footballer in Devon, Exeter is probably the number one pick whereas presumably even if we hadn't closed our academy a few years back, we would presumably be competing with numerous London teams plus Reading and Oxford (?) for players.

While Exeter take boys and mould them, our model is taking young men of the scrap heap and hoping to polish up a rough diamond. Not sure that is overly comparable.

We obviously don't know what we got for Mehmeti or whether we were able to include a sell on.

I am trying to remember the ex-academy kids Exeter have sold on in recent years - Matt Grimes went to Swansea when they were Premier League and Watkins to Brentford. I believe each sold for around £1.75m. I have a feeling there was a third, but can't remember his name.

End of the day any players value is the lower of what someone is prepared to pay for him and any release clause in his contract.

There is nothing I have seen to suggest that WWFC were negligent, careless or naive in their dealings with Bristol City or Mehmeti's contract renegotiation. Just different situation to other players at other clubs at other stages in their careers and contracts. Again worth noting that we do know that Mehmeti was our record ever transfer - beating fees we have received for many players who have gone on to bigger things.

• Ampadu and Randall in recent years.

You could even add in our own David Wheeler who they sold to QPR for £500k, though he was mid 20’s and not a youth product.

Watkins was sold for around the 1.75M you suggested but the big money was in his sell on clause which netted them a further 4M

• Matt Grimes went to Swansea for circa 1.75m in 2015. Jordan Storey and Jayden Stockley both to Preston for solid fees in 2018 and 2019 respectively. It's a proper youth set-up, but you need those regular sales to pay for it.

• They also got a fee last year from Wolves for a lad who hadn't even played a senior league game (Alfie Pond).

• Just realised Grant Basey has resigned as manager of VCD Athletic

• edited March 2023

That's a very gracious response, @DevC - and no bad feeling at all from my side. Sometimes reining someone in is doing them a favour. I also don't remind myself enough about the fact that folks from the club may read this forum at times, and everyone involved deserves massive praise overall, not even a hypothetical put down or questions over competency.

• Rocky sent off while playing in goal in the 90th minute but Cardiff held on to beat Bristol City 2-0.

• Al-Hamadi scores for AFC Wimbledon yet again.

• Five in six, I think

• QPR stuffed by Rotherham

• Charles Dunne just got sent off for St Mirren against Celtic.

• 1 nil up, then Dunne's calamity. Now 4-1 to Celtic, whose fans are singing a well known Carpenters song.

• Scott Marshall leaves Charlton to become Colchester coach.

In a season when our group of central defenders have rarely all been fit. Marshall was the king of sicknotes amongst centre backs, during his stay at Adam's Park.

• Nigel Pearson critical of Anis on Bristol Live website. Says he’s had no Championship experience!!

• It was a major concern for me that he was off to play for that c**t

• Reading the article it was the journalist rather than Pearson who said that he had no championship experience.

Pearson then says: “We have to remember he’s still a young man and he’ll be a really good player for us. If today was a bit more difficult then so what, it was for everybody. Some days are learning days, let’s be honest, and providing that you take on board what needs to be understood - good and bad - then you move forward.”

• Fair enough, @YorkshireBlue. Shows the folly of trusting comments on Twitter. Although perhaps the Twitterer knew that it was the journalist’s comment.