Skip to content

Holloway to Oldham?

124»

Comments

• edited February 2016

So now that AAH has gone we can focus on someone else in the side. I wish AAH all the best at Oldham.

As for @ticktock; I bet surprisingly for a few on here a lot of what you have said from insider trading, such as wages and players (bencher's) frustrations borne witness to the truth so hopefully those who are associated with the Club can take a look at game time and arranging more friendlies as I guess training on a Monday after we have played on Saturday with @4/5 players isn't fun (Yes @fidget they are hard done by), can't even make a 3 a side game with those numbers while the those who started on the weekend are in recovery mode.

@micra please don't say I'm making this shIt up as I may or may not have @ticktock on speed dial after this ruse.

• Morning Cider! I am genuinely puzzled by your comment. Have I ever accused you of "making shit up" as you so elegantly put it. Genuinely mystified; not my style.
    Mistaken identity I suspect.

• PS. Haven't a clue what the "ruses" and "speed dialling" are all about.

• Well put ciderk at least one of you understood what i was saying , that's it from me Bye.

• I think most of us had an extremely clear idea of what you were saying and we had a pretty good idea that it was right. But personalities do clash, attitudes do matter and it takes two to tango. GA showed tremendous patience but, in the end it was over tested.

• edited February 2016

Given that it appears @ticktock is actually a relation of AAH (dad rather than brother though, I'm guessing?) I think we should all reflect very hard on what he's saying. It really does illustrate one of Ainsworth's biggest weaknesses. He seems to really struggle motivating some of his most skillful players - to the extent that, time and again, they're leaving the club rather than putting in the effort to fight for their place. Just imagine the sort of way we'd be playing now if you had a team with Banton on the left, Spring and Murphy in the middle, Ephraim on the right and Morgan and Holloway up front. Fine, they wouldn't be pressing back the way GA likes his players to - but my goodness, they'd be a pleasure to watch.

I accept one of Ainsworth's biggest plus points is his player recruitment - he really does bring in quality into the squad. But I'm concerned that his sales pitch may not tally with the experience many have after signing - and I get the impression when they knock on the gaffer's door to complain about lack of opportunity they're not quite getting the support they're after. I hope I'm wrong but that tallies with what I heard from friends of Peter Murphy when he left and maybe what we're hearing from Mr Tock.

Finally I wonder what role Paul Hayes has in this. We can see on the pitch that he's a hard-talker who gives opponents short shrift - is he like that behind the scenes too? I'm sure he had a big role to play in bringing in his good friend Gary Thompson; however in the process I really hope he wasn't one of the figures who ostracized AAH (it's noticeable how little game time they had together this season). I can see Hayes being given a player-coach role this summer and potentially even becoming our next manager should Ainsworth go on to bigger things. In which case I hope he learns from the mistakes of the gaffer rather than perpetuating them.

• What a depressing thread.

I have no idea whether some of the sentiments here are reflective of the way Mr Holloway thinks. If they are, it would explain why he has failed to kick on this season and why if he carries on the path he has been following, it won't be too long now before he has a very different day job.

No player has an entitlement to a first team place at any club. That player has to earn it. If he finds himself out of the team, he must redouble his efforts in training and make damn sure that when an opportunity comes, even if its only 20 minutes, then he must grab that opportunity, giving the manager no choice but to start him next week. And if he is on the bench again next week, then he has to do it all again.

Actually players at WWFC are lucky, there is a very small squad, so unlike at other clubs he is pretty much guaranteed to get a game from time to time. But if the player then cant be arsed, "its not fair that I'm not in the team so I am not going to bother trying, ner ner ner ner ner", then it will not be too long before he is out of the door.

Football like life is a competitive business. First team shirts are earned not an entitlement. You don't get to play because its your turn. You have to fight and battle for your chance. Mr Holloway has undoubted talent, I like most supporters wish him well for the future, but he would do well to learn lessons from the likes of Hayes and Thompson if he wishes to have anything like the length of footballing career that those two old pros have enjoyed.

• I think it reflects more on AAH than Ainsworth to be honest. Sometimes you aren't going to be in the team, which must be frustrating, but that's one aspect of the life of a professional footballer.

If making these kinds of 'mistakes' gets us to Wembley, with a points total that would have been enough for promotion nearly every year; means we match Aston Villa for a game and a half; and put us 6th in the table in February then let's hope Paul Hayes does learn from Gareth Ainsworth.

• Morning @micra; Sorry misidentity. I was mentioned in a previous thread alongside somebody else you where actually referring your comment too.

Hopefully this is opportunity for Ugwu, possible Kretch to score a few and make some useful assists and lay claim to starting games from the off, while Thompson is sidelined with suspension.

• @aloysius one of the all time nonsense posts. That side would get relegated

• I think it must have been a wind up Eric. I agree that team would get hammered every week and the poor goalie would get a bad back picking the ball out of the net.

• It doesn't matter how much talent and potential a player has, if the attitude is wrong then they will fail. It is clear to everyone (GA included) that WW are not scoring enough goals this season. There is an opening there for a striker to step up and claim his place. Each time I have seen AAH on the pitch this season WW have looked toothless and less like scoring. That does not earn a starting place, or a seat on the bench. The problem didn't start with Ugwu or PCH coming to the club, the problem was already there. If the goals were going in, neither would have been brought to the club. If AAH can't apply himself to get on the team sheet in a small squad then he will drift out of league football.

For whatever reason AAH has not looked happy and pushed on this season. (Possibly for reasons away from the game). Hopefully a change of scene will help to re-motivate him. People talk about us loosing talented players. GA has said over and over that WW can not pay well. Talented players attract attention and when their contracts are up, play the market. GA has been criticised for not giving Banton a chance. Look at Bantons record. Nobody seems to keep him around very long. Why?

I am not suggesting that GA does not make mistakes. He is still relatively new to management, and learning his trade. WW are a small club with debts, trying to get back on track. We don't have the money to attract big earners in their prime, and nobody will find a 20 goal a season bench warmer available for loan. We will continue to rely on oldtimers coming towards the end of their career, and raw youngsters looking to make their mark, and the talent will continue to move on. That is life as a small club in Lg 2.

• Eric & Mooneyman - there was a certain element of tongue-in-cheek to that line-up - clearly we would need some grit and muscle in there as well. But my point was serious. Ainsworth keeps signing luxury players, fails to get them to change their style and then discards them in favour of another work-horse. Having watched many of the turgid displays his sides have been putting out this season, my view is Ainsworth can and should do more to accommodate the sort of player who can actually add some sparkle and some goal threat, even if it means there's one or two fewer tracking back and chasing down each match.

I'm also worried we'll get a reputation as a club few attacking players will want to come to, unless they're at the end of their career. I imagine that's why we ended up with McGinn as our marquee midfield signing rather than someone better. I totally get it's a two-way street and Banton, Holloway etc need to prove their worth in training and from the subs bench rather than sulking. But this happens time and time again here and I think Ainsworth needs to step up and accept some responsibility. There's only so long people can use the excuse that he's a young manager, still learning his trade. He's the eighth-longest serving manager in the whole football pyramid, for goodness sake.

• Yes, @bluenotes, I agree with alot you have said, except I don't think our style of play or service helps our forwards what so ever and includes ALL of them. Anyway I keep forgetting we are 6th place, mainly due to our resolute defence. Keep it up lads.

• @Ciderk1d. I agree with you, the service does need to improve. It is not all down to the strikers. They need decent service.

@aloysius. No, GA is not the 8th longest serving manager. He is the 8th longest serving at one club. Others have many years more experience. The fact that GA is the 8th longest serving manager at one club is a sad indictment of football in general.

• He's not in the Oldham starting XI. Thought he went to get game time LOL!!

• ...and he came on for them before half time. The transfer happened late in the week when he would barely have got a chance to train with the new club, unlikely many players would get a start in those circumstances.

• @robin; had a butchers on the Latics Match forum a fan's verdict "Very solid away performance. Had the better chances even with one up top.Dummigan, Dieng, Holloway and Palmer were very impressive."

They draw with 4th place Wigan playing with 10K attendance and weren't expecting a result. AAH has gone so lets put this to bed and concentrate on all things Wycombe.

COYBs