Skip to content

Dave Tarpey Maidenhead United

1235»

Comments

• @Malone pretty sure most of that league is, with two/three 'star' players at each club perhaps on pro contracts to ensure clubs a fee should the player move.

Of course it's all speculation and it goes without saying that it would be very exciting if Tarpey were to sign for us!

• Honestly would it be exciting though?

My first thought would be how is he going to get a game ahead of PCH, Hayes, Weston, Kashket, Bayo, plus Wood, Freeman and Southwell.

As it stands he is an unproven lower league player playing in a position we are relatively well stocked. He is not a proven Messi.

• I think any player who scores goals of the quality and in the quantity that he scores them will generate excitement. Agree though that for the first time in a while, we're not short of attacking options.

• People worried about Tarpey's age, we never signed Steve Thompson till he was 29, and he was 31 before he made his league debut.

• Remember when we signed McSporran from non league? That i remember as being pretty exciting,perhaps due to the stack of clubs interested

• All this gets nowhere. Surely it all comes down to whether his ambition is to have football as his main job. I guess that had he wanted that it would have happened long ago. IF he has a decent job then it will be more comfortable I guess to continue as at present. Full time football is a precarious occupation and I would think that a lot of non league players really don't want to join it.

• Well, that's no different from what I said. It comes down to what the player wants. I imagine he has been asked so "someone in the know" needs to cough up.

• Absolutely! I still agree with you.

• Hearing tonight that tarpey is a company director so little chance of him wanting to leave maidenhead.

• @M3G said:
    micra I was under the imprecision the lad commanded a transfer fee?? Am i incorrect here? I may be, but that's the why I made that point.

Apologies for not replying sooner. I don't know if a transfer fee would be involved. At his age and with such limited experience, I wouldn't have thought it would be prohibitive.

I will now read the 40 or so comments that I've not caught up with in the past 24 hours and will probably find a different story emerging!

• @Stewie63 said:
    micra We have Dayle Southwell waiting in the wings as well, who may well prove to be quite prolific once fitness is regained, so maybe he can fill the "one other player who will score a dozen or more goals a season".

Apologies to you, too. I think Dayle Southwell will prove to be a consistent, if not prolific, goalscorer.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Nope, it comes down to wether anyone actually wants him enough to bid, then wether its accepted or negotiated, then wether he wants to take up any offer put to him or carry on as he is. All possible, yet all merely speculation.

Watever happened to whether?

• @DevC said:
    Honestly would it be exciting though?

My first thought would be how is he going to get a game ahead of PCH, Hayes, Weston, Kashket, Bayo, plus Wood, Freeman and Southwell.

As it stands he is an unproven lower league player playing in a position we are relatively well stocked. He is not a proven Messi.

@DevC have you ever seen him play?

• Nope, you?

to be honest I have rarely heard of any player we sign before he signs, let alone seen him (consciously at least - it is just about possible I may have seen him play for the opposition somewhere but probably will not really have noticed) . I judge excitement at his signing on his record and how I see him fitting into the team (as above). Then once he has signed, I resolve to give the lad a chance to prove himself either way over time.

• No disrespect @DevC , but surely you've barely seen any of the players who PLAY FOR US, so i'm not surprised you haven't heard or seen most players in the leagues around us

• Indeed. Malone (hence the just about possible comment above - perhaps I should have made that clearer). When I do get the chance to see a game, I focus on my team and only a really standout individual performance from an opposition player registers - even then I probably will not know his name and certainly will not be in a position to judge whether that performance is typical or an exception (good or bad). I may be aware of a few players in other clubs from media reports. Honestly isn't that the position the vast majority of even the most regularly attending Wycombe supporters are in.

• @DevC I was only asking.

Yes I've seen him play a few times.

• That seems to be about that then. Much ado about nothing.

• Dave Tarpey was just on Soccer AM in full Maidenhead United kit.

Said his phone hadn't stopped ringing since "that" goal.

• There was a small article on Tarpey in a recent copy of the Football League Paper in which he gave the impression that he is open to a move. He said he fits security systems for a living and had spoken to his boss about being cleared to go if a side comes in for him.

Wycombe were listed as one of the clubs after him, but the article claimed Cheltenham are leading the chase, which I find surprising as Maidenhead could well be playing in the same division as them next season. Surely location alone (plus the fact he'd be much more likely to actually play) must give us a huge advantage over any other suitors, even if the money is crap.

• I don't think its going to Happen. I think in all honesty this is something from last summer and we went elsewhere in our search.

• You're probably right. I think he will go, just not to us. I see Jay Simpson has left Orient by mutual consent - again, probably wouldn't come to us, but would be worth trying for.

• I think I recall reading that Simpson was on £9k per week at Orient!

• PBoPBo
    edited January 2017

Because there will always be enough players willing to chance their arm to play league football, especially if you throw money at them as seems to be the case at LOFC, Orient will always be able to attract players.

But if a player had their pick of clubs, I think with all the turmoil that's going on there at present, Orient can't be an attractive option.

• @mooneyman If that's true that is absolutely crazy for L2.

• I thought the Luton player reportedly on 5k a week was mad enough!