Skip to content

Dave Tarpey Maidenhead United

Comments

• Maidenhead are going well this season, top of the league, and a striker scoring spadeloads.

However, we just signed a guy who scored tonnes at the equivalent level, and he's barely had a shot on target, or been supplied a sniff yet. So, I doubt Tarpey would go any better.

• Leave him be, present wycombe set up would ruin his chance's to become a class player.

• Isn't he a midfielder?

• Winger i believe.

• He'd never get a start at Wycombe then, unless it was playing as a defensive midfielder.

• I was at Maidenhead today. Tarpey plays as a striker. He's only little but puts himself about and knows how to hit the back of the net.

Would have had a hat trick if he hadn't had a penalty saved.

• He's much better than Maidenhead in terms of ability but not good enough for teams in our league and above who could actually pay him enough to make being a pro useful.

• Attendance of 751 at Maidenhead today by the way. A lot higher than I expected.

• Always easier to jump on board when a team is at the top of their league, especially when no league football is on.

• Cheltenham Town, Leyton Orient, Barnet and Wycombe lead chase for non-league ace Dave Tarpey. http://www.just-football.com/2016/12/dave-tarpey-cheltenham-leyton-orient-barnet-wycombe-lead-chase-non-league-ace/

• they can hush down with that 250k talk for someone else...

• A 28-year-old non league player surely won't command much of a fee.

• It depends to what extent Maidenhead will "do the right thing" and allow him a shot at the league.

He is a striker though, and 28 is probably in the peak range, so I could see someone offering decent money. They';re going for the title, so it'd be a huge risk to let him go, especially for buttons

• Just don't see the value tbh. Especially as we have Bayo, Kashket, Southwell, Hayes plus maybe Cowan-Hall, with Thompson, Wood & Weston supporting out wide. £250K? No way.

• Really can't see anyone coming in for a 28 year old other than non league teams.

• Find it slightly bizarre that people are judging 28 as too old.

As if some mid to low end league 2 team couldn't benefit from them!

Goodness knows what you made of us signing a 34 year old last summer!

But clearly we won't be signing anyone for anywhere near 250k for the forseeable! That was about our record when we were awash with cash!

• Tarpey could easily still smash the league at this age. Beavon anyone?

However, I suspect we've been named merely because we are a nearby league club so it sounds a realistic story.

• From my view point, the only reasons his age concerns me are, a cost outlay for an unproven striker at this level, especially when we have a plentiful stock of strikers. As for signing a 34 year old this summer, a massive difference don't you think @Malone?
    TBF I have not seen this Tarpey fellow play and it is possibly jaundiced of me to judge.

• I watched Dave Tarpey recently against Margate. The interesting things were that Margate is now managed by Nikki Bull and have Scott Donnelly playing for them. Tarpey was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, and scored yet another cracking goal. He doesn't stop running the whole game, has terrific pace and acceleration and is a natural goal scorer, even though he is relatively slight in build. It's sad that he has to play on the cow field that is Maidenhead United - put him on our lovely pitch and he'd be a class act, but signing Kashket has put the kibosh on that.

• Depends how you look at it @EwanHoosaami .

Bayo wasn't "free", he's come in as top earner. That could have been quite a risk if things hadn't suddenly turned for the better.

So say Tarpey comes in for 75k, on £500 a week, and say Bayo is "Free" and on 2000 a week, there's not much odds at all.

Having mused on this, there's no way we could afford even 75k i'm sure!

• I doubt very much Tarpey would get out of bed for £500 per week. He could probably quadruple that wage at Eastleigh.

He is unproven at League level and Southwell with a similar background has hardly been a roaring success. I see no reason why we would want him.

• To be fair to Southwell he carried an injury for some time so me haven't seen the best of him.

• @mooneyman I'm with @robin Southwell was carrying an injury but isaw enough to see that there is the markings of a good L2 player. Don't yet think a prolific scorer but excellent at bringing others in to the game. Whatever the future holds I can't see it involving us parting with any fees?

• And to be fair to Tarpey he isn't Dayle Southwell so I'm not sure it's best judging him as if he is.

• I know money could be a problem but why the reluctance to sign a non league player?.

• It doesn't say they want £250000

• For me..if a league club comes in for a non league player it's generally a young player.Just can't see a team paying that sort of money with no experience of professional football.

• Remember that it is now our stated policy to sign non league players and work with them to develop their potential. Dave Tarpey has the talent to excel at our level and bring rich rewards for WWFC . No doubt that Maidenhead will want a generous sell on on any transfer. We could always offer a player ( Myles West on ) , as part of the deal.

• I'd rather have Myles Weston.

• @lordmelchester Are you serious? Do you honestly think that Myles Weston would go and play at Maidenhead United plus Maidenhead United would fund his wage demands!
    Admire your imagination, I'll have a pint of your beer.