Skip to content

Dave Tarpey Maidenhead United

Comments

• Vital report that Myles Weston " is unlikely to be involved " in the squad this weekend, or maybe this season - who knows! ! We are committed to paying his wages every week - for very little return. . I am sure GA and AH would welcome an opportunity to move him on.

• Having seen Myles Weston and Dave Tarpey play, I know who I would rather have in the squad, and it's not Weston.....

• So, given his injury status, what use is he to Maidenhead as a player and to WWFC as a carrot in any negotiations? I would venture to suggest, beggar all.

• given current form and with players returning from injury do we need to sign anyone ? who would he replace as signing for a fee

• Surely the real comparison should be with PCH? He's only with us for another month but then, let's face it, he's almost certainly going to get released from Millwall. What would people prefer the 500 Money is spent on? Signing PCH on League One wages for a couple of years, or paying a transfer fee to Maidenhead for Dave Tarpey?

Both would bring with them some risk - PCH with his injury record, Tarpey being unproven at this level. There's also likely to be a smaller sell-on fee with Tarpey as he'll likely be 30 by the time he's ready to move on.

Both will get goals. But my vote would be with PCH. He may not yet have hit the form he was in when he left us the first time, but given a run in the side with Akinfenwa and Kashket, I'm certain he'll be knocking in the goals again soon.

• In defence of Dayle Southwell, I think it is only fair to point out that he was a prolific goalscorer with Boston United, is five years younger than Dave Tarpey, 2 or 3 inches taller and was struggling during the half a dozen games he played at the start of the season with a hernia problem. Hence, when he injured his thigh against Stevenage, the time was considered right for him to have surgery. He is now building up strength and it was reported this morning (Get Bucks) that he is expected to return within a few weeks. Having met him a couple of times I can also add that he comes across as a very bright, confident and personable young man, I look forward to seeing him in action again soon.

• I hope Southwell gets given a chance rather than being loaned out like Freeman. I suspect though, if we do sign PCH and with Kashket in such fine form, he might be sent back to the non-league for a month or two to regain fitness and his goalscoring form.

• What league is Maidenhead in?.

• National League South - two tiers below us.

• I suspect the jury may be out on whether to offer PCH a contract (assuming that Millwall will be prepared to release him) and the thought crossed my mind that, with goals being so important (when was the last time we scored fewer than two goals?!) a proven goalscorer playing a couple of tiers below us (perhaps one tier before too long) might be seen as a better option than an injury-prone player a couple of years younger but not currently scoring too many. I am a great admirer of PCH and I have the impression he regards Adams Park as his spiritual home so I would find it hard to make a decision between the two, if indeed it came to that.

• This is a Football League Paper article on PCH from last month, looks like it could be pretty much 50%/50% as to whether or not we get the chance to keep him anyway. http://www.theleaguepaper.com/latest-news/football-league-division-two/6584/paris-cowan-hall-thriving-again-at-wycombe/

• As you say @Bluegasbag 50/50 that is assuming the article is a true reflection of his feelings and viewpoint. What he is really feeling & what is going on behind the scenes, who really knows? Apart from his comeback again from injury, (v Crewe?), IMO he hasn't had many truly stand out performances. Still a good player at this level but on what I have seen I wouldn't bust the bank to persuade Millwall to part with him.

• For what it's worth, @micra and @EwanHoosaami , in response to your comments on Paris not scoring many and not having stand out performances, he was my pick as MOTM yesterday; constantly hassling the Notts defenders, winning the ball, playing others in and creating our 2nd goal, which probably he could have finished himself if he had not unselfishly passed it to Kashket in a better position.

• He was great yesterday.

• He was quality yesterday and our season will very much depend on keeping both him and Blackman in my opinion.

• @fromtheside , agree completely with that, but would also add the Pierre situation as an extra big factor.

de Havilland certainly hasn't impressed me, I wouldn't want Jombati there too often, and it'd be a big ask to expect Muller to come in and wow us as a regular after so long out.

Really hope we can keep Pierre quite deep into Jan at least.

• Scored four today in a 5-0 win over Dartford.

• 26 in the league, from only 21 league games. Decent.

• Is he better than Kashket, Akinfenwa, Cowan Hall and Hayes though?

• Who knows, but of course we shouldn't assume that he isn't.

It's a hell of a record, and not just a flash in the pan either, as he was someone that plenty of people were aware of before this season - when he was generally playing out wide on either the left or right wing.

Therefore he certainly should be on the club's radar as we go into the transfer window, who knows what might happen with Paris, Millwall might push for some kind of fee rather than let him come to Wycombe again (and probably having to subsidise his wages to do so). So we might instead choose to sign him for nothing in the summer.

Also looking beyond this year, I think it's unlikely that Thommo will get another year at his age and salary.

So he's certainly one to consider. I've seen him a couple of times and I think he's very talented. I think I'd back him to make the leap. His playing style would suit our game too.

Whether he wants to, Maidenhead want him to and whether we could afford him might be a different matter mind.

• We worth checking out his goal from yesterday on the Maindenhead Utd Facebook page. I genuinly think it's one of the best goals I've ever seen, quite incredible skill and footwork. Judging by the amount of views it's clocked up already (11K at last count) I'd imagine he may well now be out of our price range!

• But to be fair we don't need him do we. Certainly can't afford him unless it was a free.

• No, but it's nice to dream.

• Aye, that's the one. Lovely goal.

• Silly question. He's 28. Whats has he done between 18 and 28? Whilst clearly not over the hill at his age one has to wonder why now and not then?

• @M3G said:
    But to be fair we don't need him do we. Certainly can't afford him unless it was a free.

"Certainly can't afford him". Really? What sort of fee do you think a 28-year-old 6th tier player, unproven at a higher level, would command ? Prolific goalscorers don't come cheap, of course, and we owe a huge debt (of gratitude!) to Gareth Ainsworth for identifying and recruiting Scott Kashket. All the signs are that he will attract the attention of some pretty big clubs and, as a selling club, we stand to make a lot of money in due course as a result. But, just as a team needs cover for other positions/responsibilities, it is surely important (if the play-offs remain the target this season)to have at least one other player who will score a dozen or more goals a season and Dave Tarpey may be seen in that light.

• Not a silly question at all @TheAndyGrahamFanClub. Very pertinent.