Skip to content

will Pierre go before the deadline ????? (and richmayes ban discussion)

Comments

• @Baldric I'm fairly libertarian on the issue of censorship. I'm happy enough to laugh at jokes that are supposed to offend or poke fun at the things I believe in. I think we tend to take ourselves far too seriously. I think every forum of social media is different, but I think a healthy appreciation of satire and humor is something the modern world is missing.

Rich Mayes was tedious, and annoying, and probably a liar, but simply for those things he gets banned from doing something he clearly enjoys every day, by someone who supports the same team as him? I think that's a step too far.

@Chris I appreciate your response, but I still think you acted too hastily. No idea what was deleted on Gasroom v1, but I think in its heyday almost nothing was. We can argue about whether we think that was a good thing I suppose, but it made it what it was. I'll take your word for it that more was deleted towards the end, I'd stopped paying as much attention by then.

• It wasn't simply for doing those things at all though.

• @Floyd - I'm generally in agreement with the principles in your first paragraph, but your second paragraph doesn't mention the actual reason Rich Mayes was banned, namely 'impersonation'. Obviously there were posts from Leon Brittan, Harvey Proctor and others on the original Gasroom, some of which were deleted, others not. But if anybody had posted as Alan Parry apart from the real one, that would have been wrong, and what has happened here is similar.

• Chris.....All the children want to be involved and feel the passion of a 3rd round fa cup encounter at Villa Park.....its just there not allowed to live a little by their parents....Cmon Chris take a risk....live a little...go as far as you can see Chris and I promise....you'll be able to see much further!

• @Chris is correct about Gasroom 1.0 - plenty of stuff was removed from that site without any transparency, debate or explanation. I think some of you need to get this in perspective - I can't see any evidence of rampant deletion and as a moderator I've actually ensured MORE posts have been seen by freeing them from the spam net.

I even verified @bourne70 as a trusted member when he posted something that got stuck in the spam folder to make sure his posts wouldn't get blocked. And I don't often agree with his musings.

Sad to see @peterparrotface going though - a great name and a quality poster. Hope he'll reconsider.

• @Cambblue I was sitting near children who literally couldn't see even if they stood up because of people standing in front of them. I can understand people wanting to stand, but it's not very fair to those behind. The answer is of course to have both standing and seated areas, allowing fans to make a choice.

• Arrr I remember those home internationals in the late 70's at the old Wembley....All the kids standing on the benches shouting Wales Wales Wales....Shit Shit Shit....The parents laughing....coming away feeling like you had really been involved in a great event...they didn't sell half a team scarves back then for a 3rd round tie..Loakes Park in 80s for the FA cup...became a lifelong fan after that...hardly any seats then.....why is life just one long piece of yellow and black hazard tape these days......Chris you making me depressed I need to go for a walk, I may not be back for a while. This nation was built on explorers concurring the unknown! Not people telling you to Sit Down! Or by forum mediators creating their own rules..is this your forum or the fans forum? Not feeling the love Chris? No wonder we struggling to attract the next generation of fans?

• Maybe the real vote should be to see whether you should be banned. ? Would you be kind enough to alter the title of the thread again ol boy?

• edited January 2016

I agree, no wonder we can't attract the next generation of fans if when they go to games they then can't see.

Your posts remind me of that Paul Whitehouse character... jumpers for goalposts...

• "We can't attract the next generation of fans"

Is that true?

• @floyd get with the programme son and actually read back why he got banned. There's only 2pages before your post for goodness sake ;-)

• @eric_plant I have no idea!

• Cambblue seems to have emerged this very day, right after Richie got banned. I'm pretty certain there's no link at all between them.Pretty certain...

• Here we go again....let's start the witch hunt....The irony in your last comment Chris defies belief!

• Cmon Chris have a heart....I know you can forgive.... let Richie back in?

• Anyway how long was the ban for? Beginning to miss ol Richie.

• @Cambblue said:
    Anyway how long was the ban for? Beginning to miss ol Richie.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons when a man appears looking exactly like Homer apart from a small moustache. Guy Incognito was his name I believe.

• Cmon Chris everyone has the right to learn from their mistakes surely? Seems so final?

• @Cambblue joined in October and has been quiescent in the meantime; now, like Mount Edna, he has erupted. Yes I do mean Edna.

• I'm with PPF.

• @Cambblue said:
    Arrr I remember those home internationals in the late 70's at the old Wembley....All the kids standing on the benches shouting Wales Wales Wales....Shit Shit Shit....The parents laughing....coming away feeling like you had really been involved in a great event...they didn't sell half a team scarves back then for a 3rd round tie..Loakes Park in 80s for the FA cup...became a lifelong fan after that...hardly any seats then.....why is life just one long piece of yellow and black hazard tape these days......Chris you making me depressed I need to go for a walk, I may not be back for a while. This nation was built on explorers concurring the unknown! Not people telling you to Sit Down! Or by forum mediators creating their own rules..is this your forum or the fans forum? Not feeling the love Chris? No wonder we struggling to attract the next generation of fans?

No way could RichMayes have come up with a class post like this

• What a truly astonishing thread.

• Full of charm and eloquence.

• @ Chris . I know I risk being banned by saying this but I will anyway : I do not believe I am alone in thinking you enjoy an sense of power on here and that you make decisions based purely on your sense of justice . You keep citing this as an urban myth but surely you have to concede there are enough people on here now thinking this is an issue .

Being someone on here who has historically annoyed people and had views that have been regarded as controversial , I would like there to be a list of rules publicised some where on this forum . I would also suggest that if someone brakes them that there is a fair vote by members to see if a ban is then be made . I personally do not think Mr Mayes should have been banned but instead warned if he upset the sensibilities of a few one here . I would have liked to have had my opinion on this taken into consideration.

I do not believe you should have the right to expel people from here because of what you and one or two or your usual allies think is right or wrong.

It seems to me that this forum is being shaped around a few elite contributors and I for one am close to not coming on here any more .

Cue the usual go and play golf then comments : but this forum is going to be a very boring place if people start to feel you are nothing short of being like a power happy referee dishing out red cards and do not feel they can express themselves freely .

• No risk of being banned, Bourney old son. You're welcome to your opinion.

I don't think there needs to be a list of rules - just simply don't be a dick. But ultimately it's up to DrCongo as it's his site.

As far as I know the only Wycombe fan that has been banned is Rich.

• bourne70....you make some very valid points.

• No you banned me this morning g too?