Skip to content

'QPR close in on Wycombe 'keeper Matt Ingram'

Comments

• Transfer fees are a bit random - nobody ever talks about the wage deals which are pertinent especially when signing on a free. I think Gillingham paid over the odds for a winger from Blackburn [James Corbett? }who then broke his leg. The reason for this - they had spare cash from selling somebody else [Carl Asaba], so the value of the player was affected by how much they had to spend. See also us selling Keith Scott to Reading.

• 500k including sell on fees, every chance.

500k upfront, no chance

• @DevC said:
    Matt Grimes was very much the exception rather than the rule. He went to a premiership club and is widely expected to be a virtual shoo-in to play for England one day. Matt Ingram , fine player that he is, is some way off that level.

Our model is to say to young kids, "come to us, you'll play in the first team, we'll develop you as a player, and when you are ready to move on up the ladder, we will not stand in your way". We have delivered on that promise with a number of players. That reputation should not be lightly squandered by holding pout for unrealistic fees.

Within that context, obviously we should get the best fee and the best sell-on that we can. To an extent that is driven by how interest there is in the player from different clubs. Don't be surprised though if that is not quite as high as you hope.

Not really an exception at all. When we sold Matt Phillips he was an England under 20, like grimes was, yet we only got a total of 525k and that's including the selling of our right to a sell on fee.

The week after we sold Phillips he was scoring in the premier league while a year and a half after grimes was sold I think he's only mustered a single premier league substitute appearance.

• @Vincey how much would we have got for Phillips though, if we had thought it might be fishy QPR offering to buy out the clause, just before selling him for multi millions?

• and let's not even dwell on the "international" clause....only specified as England!

• See my thread on another post. Sometimes it is down to clubs failing to negotiate and sometimes it is down to a whole range of other factors, needing cash, or having a lot to spend. These are traits displayed outside football, and I suspect by some of those posting on these threads about player value.

• So confirmed deal then. Good luck to him. Great opportunity for Lynch now. Hope he gets a great reception tomorrow

• In terms of Lynch, it's good this has happened now, rather than in the summer.

It gives him a 4month trial, 25 games or so hopefully to prove himself.

Do well, and we'll come along with a 2-3 year deal.
    And, well..hopefully not the case, but if he's not up to it, better for us to know now then learn when committed

• I guess it's also interesting to note that both QPR keepers are ex Wycombe

• Well it's a done deal he's gone to Queen's Park Rangers. All the best Matt and thank you.

• All the best Ingram, hopefully as we should be safe from relegation, give Lynch the opportunity to prove himself without pressure. Get another young goal keeper with prospect as a number two to Lynch.

Lynch deserves his time in the Sun.

• Sky say £400K

• However inevitable, it's still sad to see him go but I hope he flourishes and in a few years time we can say we saw England's number 1 keeper when he was one of our own. Best of luck, Matty.

• Thanks for the memories Matt, I wish you all the best for the future. I am sure that you will never forget your roots. I am sure that young Alex will step up to the plate.

• @NorthumberlandBlue said:
    Sky say £400K

Assuming there are sell-on/appearance clauses that feels about right to me. Even more so if there was some oiling of the Harriman deal along the way

• £400,000 if correct a fair price of this includes sell on's etc etc

• totally depressed bout this so basically just sell our best players cheap and flounder in league 2 is that it

• @trevor said:
    totally depressed bout this so basically just sell our best players cheap and flounder in league 2 is that it

Face it we are a selling club we have no choice , we get quite a few players signing for the club as they know we will improve them and allow the step up when it comes. Surely that's not a bad thing no player will stay at Wycombe If they have the potential for a bigger club .

• Good luck to him, you never know we might be playing against him in a season or two.

• Best of luck to Matt. Sad to see him go but wish him well and really hope he goes on to fulfill his obvious potential. Would be great to see him pulling on the three lions one day and be able to say he's 'one of our own'...

Big opportunity for Alex Lynch now - let's hope he can step up to the plate on a long term basis.

• I think 400k upfront plus add ons

• 400K plus add ons sounds about right . I can not believe there are some tards on here suggesting figures as low as £150-200K

• very, very sad about this. Cracking 'keeper and good man, too.

• cheap? It's probably the 2nd highest fee for a league 2 keeper in 20 years behind Hart, which I believe was only 600k with add ons!

• well why is it always us selling bigger club etc we don't seem to be growing as a club at all

• @trevor said:
    well why is it always us selling bigger club etc we don't seem to be growing as a club at all

Do you remember Steve Hayes and the money he wasted that we ended up owing him?
    Do you contribute to the share scheme?
    The club can't run on air.

• come on Trevor.

We've made big steps in reducing the ridiculous losses we were making, from the reckless "don't worry about the money" days, aka "run the club into the ground to make merging us with Wasps at Booker for their benefit our only option" (allegedly).

Step 2 is clear the debt

Step 3 can only start from an even keel

• well would be quicker to clear the debt if we got proper decent offers for our top players if 400k is the amount for ingram we got done again should been 800k at least

• Possibly the reason we got Harriman ? anyway hopefully we maintain good relations and QPR send any good prospects on loan.

• im guessing we wont be replacing ingram then just be sticking with lynch and Richardson if lynch gets injured surely cant have Richardson in goal too old and not good enough for the football league is a joke he is even in the squad .