Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• You can't have a vote if you don't know what you are voting for Richie

• @rmjlondon said:
    No issue with the deal, members have been emailed dates for voting !!

I am a Legacy member and haven't received any information re dates for voting. When are the important dates?

• Coventry certainly have our new number. We have been unable to create anything in any of the games I have seen against them. Giving them a soft goal gave them what they needed. I didn't see the lack of fight some others talk about. Interesting what others see.

Decent crowd today but an utterly pathetic amount of noise in the home end. What was going on?

• @rmjlondon said:
    No issue with the deal, members have been emailed dates for voting !!

I would respectfully suggest that there may be a problem with 'the deal' - the one which was planned to be announced before Xmas and discussed at a meeting of legacy members on Jan 14th - 13 days from now.

• Didn't I just read this somewhere else?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Coventry certainly have our new number. We have been unable to create anything in any of the games I have seen against them. Giving them a soft goal gave them what they needed. I didn't see the lack of fight some others talk about. Interesting what others see.

Decent crowd today but an utterly pathetic amount of noise in the home end. What was going on?

For what it’s worth RITM, I agree with everything you said in this post. Team was flat and so was the crowd.

It’s wrong to confuse a poor display with a lack of effort or desire, we were just off the pace and lacking in confidence once Coventry went ahead.

• @th100 said:
    Slightly concerning to hear Gareth coming out so bluntly with this post-match, even if it's hardly a surprise:

having listening to GA Interview he actually said that he is looking to some of the loan players ....think the quote is misleading ...

• @Wanderers82 said:

@th100 said:
    Slightly concerning to hear Gareth coming out so bluntly with this post-match, even if it's hardly a surprise:

having listening to GA Interview he actually said that he is looking to retain some of the loan players ....think the quote is misleading ...

• An opposition point of view....

Thought you started well and dominated the first 10-15 minutes without creating any chances apart from one dangerous corner that fizzed across the box, after that I thought we controlled the game apart from the odd flurry.

We couldn’t see enough to comment on our penalty decision and likewise with the appeals for one for you, we did feel however that we should have had one late on for a blatant foul on JCH.

We have a lot of talented youngsters, 4 players who came through our academy started today’s game.

Game management is great when you’re winning, not so when you’re on the receiving end, however we’ve both been on both sides of the coin. One of your posters posted that we played ‘cynical football’ which I found a bit strange; I don’t recall the ref booking or even speaking to any of our players.

I don’t think that having Akinfenwa in your squad actually helps, it makes you become one dimensional which most teams can defend against.

A lot of Cov fans like your manager, he’s done a great job with limited resources, hopefully your board will find a way to back him.

Finally, we were extremely surprised how quiet your crowd was today, it seemed fairly full behind the goal.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

• We wouldn't have got promotion without Akinfenwa and to be fair we were pretty toothless today before he came on.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Terrible passing and attacking. I don't mind hoofing it when Bayo is on but the number of times that Stewart and Sido just whacked it forward to Samuel was frustrating. Someone needed to have a word and I agree with @fame_46 that we lacked experienced leadership today.

Poor ref didn't help but not why we lost.

Excellent that there is no game this weekend. Time to prepare properly and get a pattern of play going again which isn't mostly dependent on combinations on the right or whacking it.

Let's also hope and trust there is a plan coming together regarding personnel.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    having listening to GA Interview he actually said that he is looking to some of the loan players ....think the quote is misleading ...

Agreed. That quote is a very pessimistic reading of the interview.

• Just looked a game too much today, hopefully just a collective fatigue, and nothing 10 days without a game won't solve.

Doncaster are one of the better teams up next, so hopefully we get our big game performance on.

Otherwise, that huge margin to the bottom 4 has now been stripped to a mere 5 points.

• @mooneyman said:
    You can't have a vote if you don't know what you are voting for Richie

Where have you been the past two and a half years

• Sounds like Bayo going not PCH and I hope its true as we have played some great football while he has been out !!

• @Right_in_the_Middle Totally agree about the lack of noise, thought the atmosphere around the home areas was shockingly flat today, we do very little to encourage and get behind the team when they need it most. Then, when the errors start creeping in, we hear the moans and groans start, and the players' confidence takes a collective dive.
    I find it puzzling that we can go from a superb run of form prior to Christmas, to an equally bad run as seen recently. Good players don't become bad over the space of a couple of weeks. Seems to me more like a confidence issue, we surrendered our two goal lead at Gillingham, lost to Wimbledon, had a poor 15 minutes at Burton, and now look like a totally different team. We need a few breaks, decisions to go our way, lucky goals. Those things kick you out of a bad run, rebuild a bit of confidence, and it goes on from there. Reminds me of the similar run we had mid-season two years ago - we went from a run of wins (plus a few draws), to losing several games in a row. We found a way out of that then - I'm sure we can do the same now.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle Totally agree about the lack of noise, thought the atmosphere around the home areas was shockingly flat today, we do very little to encourage and get behind the team when they need it most. Then, when the errors start creeping in, we hear the moans and groans start, and the players' confidence takes a collective dive.
    I find it puzzling that we can go from a superb run of form prior to Christmas, to an equally bad run as seen recently. Good players don't become bad over the space of a couple of weeks. Seems to me more like a confidence issue, we surrendered our two goal lead at Gillingham, lost to Wimbledon, had a poor 15 minutes at Burton, and now look like a totally different team. We need a few breaks, decisions to go our way, lucky goals. Those things kick you out of a bad run, rebuild a bit of confidence, and it goes on from there. Reminds me of the similar run we had mid-season two years ago - we went from a run of wins (plus a few draws), to losing several games in a row. We found a way out of that then - I'm sure we can do the same now.

Like Scunny last week who were in abysmal form before playing us. They got a flukey win with a large helping of fortune, but then went on to win away at Peterborough today. A little bit of luck can turn around a season.

We've undoubtedly played poorly in the last few games, but the bounces and little bits of luck don't favour teams in bad form. We were very unfortunate on multiple occasions at Scunny with disallowed goals and woodwork, Burton's second goal took a huge deflection (and CMS inadvertently blocked Tyson's shot on the line in that one), Cov's penalty today was very soft for me, and we were just a favourable bounce away from scoring against Wimbledon on countless occasions in that second half.

These were the little bits of luck going our way a few weeks ago. Something like that in our favour may turn around the season again!

• Newbury Wanderer and Wandering Days have both got it spot on.

• @NewburyWanderer - I struggle to see why someone goes to the effort of bringing a drum to the match, then not bothering to bang it once during 90 minutes. Terrible noise from the terrace

• Still a bit selective. We got a very lucky own goal to take the lead at Burton, but leading in the match didn’t exactly help turn our confidence around as we promptly shipped three.

Important for GA to use the ‘winter break’ wisely to regroup. Which I am certain he will.

• I always find it odd when Righty criticises the noise coming from different sections of supporters and wonder what he does to get an atmosphere going himself

I'm guessing f**k all

Happy new year everyone

• A big issue yesterday was the lack of anyone who was able to take a set piece competently.

Even when JJ is having a bad day, 50% of his set pieces are dangerous.

Yesterday, from most set pieces we immediately lost any advantage and put ourselves under pressure by doing something daft or putting in a really tame and easily dealt with delivery.

• @bookertease said:

@mooneyman said:
    You can't have a vote if you don't know what you are voting for Richie

Where have you been the past two and a half years

So you know how much the Americans are paying for the shares, what the structure of the Board will be, the power if any that the Trust will retain etc. Perhaps you can direct me to any WRITTEN undertakings by these individuals, rather than their verbal assurances.

• yeah, safe to say you missed the joke there Mooneyman

• I suspect the detailed deal isn't done yet @moneyman. Its not unusual for deals to drag on until the last minute but one or two worrying signs that the situation may be worse than that. If the deal has fallen over, we may shortly have far more to worry about than losing a couple of games.

Meanwhile Hause deal looks to be moving to completion. If we have a sell-on that may produce a useful cash boost although reports this morning suggest that initial fee may be only around £2m. Not sure what happens if say we are entitled to 10% of fee (over fee paid to us) if there are conditional amounts (eg on AV appearances, if they get promoted, future internationals, future sell-ons etc) do we share that amount then or is a settlement made now or do we miss out on that altogether.

Right now though, I suspect cash today is the priority and even £150k/200k now would no doubt be very welcome indeed.

• @DevC said:
    I suspect the detailed deal isn't done yet @moneyman. Its not unusual for deals to drag on until the last minute but one or two worrying signs that the situation may be worse than that. If the deal has fallen over, we may shortly have far more to worry about than losing a couple of games.

Meanwhile Hause deal looks to be moving to completion. If we have a sell-on that may produce a useful cash boost although reports this morning suggest that initial fee may be only around £2m. Not sure what happens if say we are entitled to 10% of fee (over fee paid to us) if there are conditional amounts (eg on AV appearances, if they get promoted, future internationals, future sell-ons etc) do we share that amount then or is a settlement made now or do we miss out on that altogether.

Right now though, I suspect cash today is the priority and even £150k/200k now would no doubt be very welcome indeed.

I am fairly sure that any future clauses are also subject to the same sell-on % fee.

Otherwise clubs could fairly easily get around sell-on clauses by engineering deals where (for instance) 99% of the new transfer fee is payable after the player has made 1 appearance for their next club.

• @eric_plant said:
    I always find it odd when Righty criticises the noise coming from different sections of supporters and wonder what he does to get an atmosphere going himself

I'm guessing f**k all

Happy new year everyone

I’m sure he can speak for himself, but I will defend RITM for making an accurate observation with which several other people agreed. Unless you sit/stand near him, how do you know how vocal he is in supporting the team and what difference does it make to his observation anyway?
    Those who stand behind the goal are by and large the only fans who create an atmosphere at Adams Park but yesterday they didn’t. Hungover from New Year’s Eve or just uninspired by our performance? I don’t know but they were very quiet yesterday as RITM pointed out.

• Very quiet and "utterly pathetic" are quite different observations though aren't they?

• Sorry @mooneyman as @eric_plant noted it was meant to be a joke. Not a good one admittedly but if you re-read your post in the wider context away from football you may get it.