Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• edited January 2019

My squad of 19 that would remain IF we lose Thompson/Gape and none of the loanees return was just showing that we're not even down to the bare bones then. Let alone back to old times!

We won't lose both Thompson and Gape for starters, and if Morris and one of them goes, we'd obviously have to bring someone else in. So Bean-Bloom obviously will never happen.

Dev - you're doing that thing you do again - purposely taking the anti approach, and at great length and no doubt enjoyment.

• @mooneyman said:
    If all the loanees are not replaced and we sell Gape, I think it is still unlikely we will get relegated despite Dev's concerns. We have Charles, Bloomfield, Harriman, Bean and Cowan-Hall who have rarely played recently for various reasons. These players are more than capable of playing at this level.

52 points will probably be enough to stay up so we need 20 points from out last 20 games, 5 wins and 5 draws.

Bean is only just about capable of playing in the Conference, let alone League One. I absolutely love the man, but he is a very limited footballer.

Don't know about Charles cos I've barely seen him play, but Harriman (as a defender) is a standard League 2 player who hasn't made the step up to League One. I'd like to see him given a chance further forward though.

Of the players mentioned, I'd only be confident of playing PCH on a consistent basis in League One, whilst Bloomfield is a good League One squad player. We'd be almost certainties for relegation with Bean in midfield and Harriman at LB or RB for the rest of the season.

• We are better at recruitment at the end of transfer windows taking players who are getting no love at their current teams and aren't in demand , we haven't pretended to compete with other clubs for players in several years now. If all the loanees and contracts expire and we cash in on Gape we will be short but I'd have faith in replacements taking up freed wages. Losing players without getting big fees is less relevant if you don't ever pay them.

Or you can go all Facebook and be certain that our American friends are desperate to open their wallets.

• @WanderingDays - Charles played 65 league 1 games in the last two seasons before moving here!

• Re the Americans, even if the deal runs (perhaps now unlikely) to the proposed timescale (14 jan meet, voting period open for three weeks with no doubt a plan to blitz any non-voters at the Bradford home game), the transfer window will have closed before the final outcome of the vote is known. If the finances are indeed critically challenged at present, It would be an extraordinarily difficult decision how much funds to release before the outcome of the vote is known while it is possible the threshold may not be passed or indeed possible the Americans may yet walk away (no deal is a deal until it is signed). Difficult times.

• Crikey - some people are determined to talk us into a crisis. We've very nearly got 2/3rds of the points we need to survive this season, with a little under half of the games left to go. It's not like we're stuck in the relegation zone in need of a complete overhaul to try and forge a team that has any hope of surviving (as our last two League 1 seasons have been).

If the potential owners are switched on and sensible they'll realise this and see that we need a small injection in the a few areas of the squad this January to see us through this season. They'll also realise that in GA we have the perfect manager to work wonders with a small investment. If they're not that committed/sensible, then they're not who we want in charge of the club anyway, no matter how bad our current financial issues.

• yes, if Bean and Bloomfield played in the midfield we are certainties to be relegated, Gareth would move to manage Marlow, the Americans would pull out, the Trust would sell out to Tesco, the ground would burn down, all of our children would be sold as slaves in Luton and robot overlords would land on Booker Airfield and take over the world. I did not buy my season ticket to end up safely mid-table in League One...

• Oh yes you did! But two weeks ago you were dreaming of the play-offs.

• Play offs ?? Are u mad ?? We will be lucky to finish 19th

• Absolute superb post @Last_Quarter

• @Wendoverman said:
    yes, if Bean and Bloomfield played in the midfield we are certainties to be relegated, Gareth would move to manage Marlow, the Americans would pull out, the Trust would sell out to Tesco, the ground would burn down, all of our children would be sold as slaves in Luton and robot overlords would land on Booker Airfield and take over the world. I did not buy my season ticket to end up safely mid-table in League One...

At least if we sold out to Tesco the crisp situation would look more promising!

• I agree @Last_Quarter. I suspect if the potential owners believe a deal will be agreed, I do feel they would see it in their interests to advance funds to secure expiring loan and contracted players that Gareth wants to retain. That is exactly why I find it concerning that the loanees all left at the first possible opportunity and Thompson's contract expires apparently after the next game. That (and the silence from the trust) points to me that there may be a serious problem with the deal.

In truth my concerns then would go a little deeper than simply worrying about this season's potential league placing. Lets hope we hear some positive news soon.

• @micra 'tis true until the Baby Jesus favoured Reverend Jones over the jolly holiday period.

• As nice as it would be for Brewster's millions to save the day surely he's got a budget for the season to work to, if people at the club assumed it was all a done deal and the overdraft was investment they need their heads checking.

• @DevC said:
    I agree @Last_Quarter. I suspect if the potential owners believe a deal will be agreed, I do feel they would see it in their interests to advance funds to secure expiring loan and contracted players that Gareth wants to retain. That is exactly why I find it concerning that the loanees all left at the first possible opportunity and Thompson's contract expires apparently after the next game. That (and the silence from the trust) points to me that there may be a serious problem with the deal.

In truth my concerns then would go a little deeper than simply worrying about this season's potential league placing. Lets hope we hear some positive news soon.

For anyone of particular interest, on Bayo's 'Instagram Story' today he posted a video clip of players heading out to train, walking out behind him was Curtis Thompson.

• @Brownie few confirmations on here he's got at least one more game under his current contract.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Play offs ?? Are u mad ?? We will be lucky to finish 19th

Joke @rmjlondon joke (of the ironic variety). Sorry, forgot you don’t do irony.
    But, to be honest, there was a genuine element of truth in my comment. Even I, not noted for being unduly optimistic about our footballing future, could see a fortnight ago the outside possibility (the dream, if you like) of a place in the play-offs. Your intervention merely demonstrated that, despite your recent unexpected display of self-awareness, you still lack the ability to identify irony.

• @ micra - I assume your tendency to lecture other posters on self awareness is meant to be ironic. Also whilst it may not apply to rmjlondon , those on the autistic spectrum do indeed often struggle to identify and comprehend irony.

• edited January 2019

@baldric, you leave my grandad alone!

Strange last line. Applying some feature of a condition no-one even necessarily has on here!

• I'm simply highlighting the fact that we actually know relatively little about others who are on-line and might need to reflect on that. If that's not a concern for you then just ignore the point.

• @Baldric said:
    @ micra - I assume your tendency to lecture other posters on self awareness is meant to be ironic. Also whilst it may not apply to rmjlondon , those on the autistic spectrum do indeed often struggle to identify and comprehend irony.

@Baldric: I have never lectured anyone on anything on here - certainly not on self-awareness. You may have missed it but a couple of days ago @rmjlondon made an uncharacteristic comment on @thedieharder’s thread about formations, saying that he had never heard such shite and actually adding that he had himself been guilty in the past of talking shite (or words to that effect). @OxfordBlue remarked that he was becoming dangerously self-aware. I was picking up on that in my post earlier this evening.

As the grandfather of two young adults who are both autistic (not including @Malone I hasten to add!) I am well aware of the difficulties in communication that they can experience. Indeed (and here’s a real irony) their mother, my daughter, is in no doubt that I am myself autistic, albeit high-functioning.

• Ok fair enough. I guess if you wrote less I'd be able to follow and remember what you wrote with greater confidence. But since I am also aware that for some but not all autistic people social media provides an outlet for their views that they might otherwise not have, I'll resist further comment, and apologise for any offence I might inadvertently have caused.

• @Baldric - With respect, I think it is ridiculous to excuse your inability to follow and remember @micra's posts on the basis of the quantity of his contributions. Hopefully it will not discourage him from restricting his input.

• I shall try to write less.

• I think I may have misunderstood your last sentence @mooneyman. I appreciate what I now think you meant! Thanks.

• I read it the same way grandad..i mean @micra.

It looked as clear as the Simpsons classic " Don't do, what Donny Don't does"

• Takes some real extra effort to read an attack on autistic people in @micra's post in my opinion! Are we saying hatter Richie is autistic now?

• Can one never call out blatant irony on a forum now in case the anonymous user is actually autistic and therefore "cant help themselves"?

• There's enough to get offended by in the world without having to purposefully misinterpret a post on the gasroom I think.

• @ Wendoverman - I didn't 'accuse' Micra of attacking autistic people at all. I suggested his tone towards another poster's newly found self awareness was a bit rich given that I sometimes feel his prolific posts often involving a series of posts in response to himself was an example of his lacking self awareness. I accept I may have got the first bit wrong, although not necessarily the second. I then made the specific point in the same post but not directed at the original poster that not everybody gets irony, and we should be mindful of that.

So far as Username is concerned - of course you can point out that the sentence or whatever was being used ironically, but the way you do it might be worth some thought, so that it doesn't belittle the person. Don't think that's unreasonable. You would make some attempt to accept the situation if you were face to face.