Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• Dodgy stuff @HCblue , and from one of more "let's all hug each other " types on here too.

• I seem to remember Coleman is not one for making subs for the sake of it - didn't they almost not make any subs at all during their excellent run at the end of last season (as well as an unchanged starting line-up)?

• I'm assuming we're hoping 11 days is enough to get one of our goalies back to full fitness??

• I believe that GA said Allsop won’t be back till the new year, not sure about Yves.

• Gaz interview from last night, where he indicates that he will be trying to retain David Stockdale for the Barnsley match on the 8th December:

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/11/28/accrington-stanley-1-2-wycombe-wanderers/

I also spoke with injury time hero, Alex Samuel:

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/11/28/alex-samuel-interview/

• @Malone said:
    Dodgy stuff @HCblue , and from one of more "let's all hug each other " types on here too.

If one fails to recall a short interaction between Wendoverman and me just over a year ago on the same subject, which I fully expect to be the case, even for Wendoverman.

• I've certainly forgotten @hcblue you'll have to remind me

• edited November 2018

I don't remotely blame you: it was an obscure reference to a small part of this thread, best read from the start:

https://gasroom.org/discussion/3340/colchester-score-prediction#latest

• Bloody hell. That was certainly obscure. I have enough trouble remembering what happened last week!

• As chance would have it, I happened to be looking through past threads that I started recently, so the weak connection came to mind when I saw your post, weak connections, ironically, being all my mind is currently capable of.

• Doesn’t Alex Samuel come across impressively in the interview with @bluntphil (see link above). Great lad. Musician too.

• Thank you!

Basically what I said a few months back!

I apologise McCarthy has grown into the player we knew. So well played to the guy.

Also love seeing Ainsworth adapting and matching tactics. Wasn’t sure he had it in him. But he’s proved me wrong ?

Keen to see what happens when Boya returns. I hope he doesn’t get put straight back in...

• In his post-match interview on the Accy official site, John Coleman is incredulous that his team hadn't won, with so many chances and a certain penalty not given after we equalised.

He praised Stockdale for several World class saves, and said that Wycombe had to change their tactics after the break because "we were doing what we liked". I don't remember it being that one-sided.

He is concerned that they have now only taken two points from 18, was worried about sliding down the table and seemed a bit annoyed that we have gone above them.

• I thought their penalty shout was a foul on our defender to be honest

Stockdale did make some wonderful saves though, he's right about that

• You're always going to feel a bit aggrieved when your side loses at home to a stoppage time equaliser in a match you were leading for an hour or so, especially after a poor run of results, and even more especially after the opposition has scored with 2 of only 3 shots on target. Add to that the two goal-line incidents - one off the underside of the bar, and the one when Stockdale sat on the ball on the line after an almighty scramble - and you can see where Coleman is coming from. He's also right that we were forced into a change of tactics. He is further correct in saying Stockdale made a string of top class saves throughout. And his team did have 60% possession.

However... It did feel to me like a very open, flowing game and we were giving them plenty of problems ourselves on either flank with some crisp, incisive passing at times - the only real difference in the first half being that we couldn't find the killer final ball. And I'm not convinced about the penalty shout, but then I'm a Wycombe fan...

I think Coleman is a very good manager and he's certainly no competition for Nolan/Adams/Evans/Jones in the whining stakes.

To be fair, I'm slightly incredulous that we're above Accrington in the league right now - but i'm lovin' it!!

• @LeedsBlue Agree with every word. I was at the game and as you say (as did GA post match) we caused them problems in the first half but lacked the final ball. A fantastic result and to be 10th after 20 games has exceeded all (reasonable) expectations...good times for sure.

• I join GA in having massive respect for Accrington. I hope they have a good remainder of the season, aside from their visit to AP!

• If we both finish above Luton...I will be ecstatic.

• Watching the match day video, it almost looks like someone's sped up the Scotty K sections, pure football instinct!

• @niebieski said:
    Watching the match day video, it almost looks like someone's sped up the Scotty K sections, pure football instinct!

Yup. Incredible the power he gets on that shot, on the turn and under pressure. It's a cliche I know but if someone scored a goal like that in the Prem you'd never hear the end of it.

• Was watching the shoot in warm up before the Shrewsbury game, Scotty K hit the ball harder and with more accuracy than anyone, there is no back lift to his shooting leg either, it really is quite something - hope Gaz keeps him / motivated.

• He did say afterwards that as soon as he had hit it, he knew it was a goal.

He is so useful when chasing a game - it's a shame for him though, that he might become typecast as 'just' an impact sub.

• edited November 2018

Kashket is a cracking little player, love having him around.

In a front three it's very hard to see him starting, so it'd most likely need to be as a front two with Bayo.

However, the way Samuel has stormed into the team makes that difficult. For one thing, CMS was in good form, before Samuel barged him out!

Add in Tyson, Fred, Paris and Williams, and he has one hell of a job to get in the mixer with no cup games left.

Gaz has learnt some big things over his time at Wycombe, from losing the "awkward" characters early on, to getting more powerful players in for that Wembley season.
    But you can tell he learnt a big lesson from that season where the last 4-5months were so stale with Hayes and Thompson struggling as our front pairing, to never be caught without a good forward option again.

• I think this sort of thing is more important to me the older I get, but isn't it great that our players seem like such nice lads?

• @eric_plant must be an age thing, as I never used to give it a second's thought. Maybe it's when you become older than all of the team.

The likes of JJ, Kashket and Bloomfield must be all timers in our league nice guys list.
    Not too far behind are loads of the others like CMS, McCarthy, Sido, Gape etc.

I'm trying to think of any aggro type players we have now.
    El Abd and Bayo are fearsome competitors, but you don't see too much aggro from them. I don't think I've ever seen Bayo square up to anyone (I missed that Luton argy bargy after the final whistle last season)

• Ainsworth obviously recognises the importance of players who are very much team players (and likely nice guys off the pitch if not always on it). Reading Bayo's autobiography, he's obvious not averse to using his fists, but he's not a bully and the way he interacts with fans, especially kids, of all clubs, shows he is a likable chap; reports from other players suggest he's the kind of bloke who supports and encourages others, on and off the pitch. The players Ainsworth got rid of never came across as either likable or team players. Leon Knight being the most obvious.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Ainsworth obviously recognises the importance of players who are very much team players (and likely nice guys off the pitch if not always on it). Reading Bayo's autobiography, he's obvious not averse to using his fists, but he's not a bully and the way he interacts with fans, especially kids, of all clubs, shows he is a likable chap; reports from other players suggest he's the kind of bloke who supports and encourages others, on and off the pitch. The players Ainsworth got rid of never came across as either likable or team players. Leon Knight being the most obvious.

Having had the pleasure of spending a working day in Bayo’s company (in a professional setting outside football), I can say he’s an absolutely lovely, genuine guy, and the character he presents to the media isn’t an act in all its positive aspects.

When I revealed to him at the end of the day I was a Wycombe fan and season ticket holder, he was delighted and insisted I got a few photos and had a chat about the club with him.

• Bayo sent off in France, Pierre after Beano got his hair pulled by Ellison. Think Sido could mix it a bit if provoked. Need a bit of aggression now and then, sure it is there bubbling under if required in any Ainsworth XI.

• @Malone Bayo is a top guy, but he did deck someone on his debut in France!