Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• Cooking dinner and taking the occasional glance at the scoreline.... Was not expecting the 2-1 scoreline after I had eaten! Just screamed with delight!!! Pissed off my wife and woke up my 2 year old son! But I don't care! What a result, what a team, what a manager! Sooo proud to be a Wycombe fan at the moment! 10th in league 1 and looking like .... Dare I say it??? Playoffs don't look 100% out of the question!!! Well done boys!!

• He's not done a bad job of replacing in the past if we do lose one or two to be fair.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@mooneyman said:
    Glad we are getting points on the board before Fred, Morris and Williams go back to their respective clubs.

I imagine we'll probably keep Fred and Williams - also, 20 points in the last 10 games, two of which against Sunderland and Peterboro isn't a bad return at all.

Wasn't it four points from them two games?

• I assumed he was referring to 'two of those 10 games'.

Tune in later for @micra's full grammatical analysis.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I assumed he was referring to 'two of those 10 games'.

Tune in later for @micra's full grammatical analysis.

Can't wait for the lesson @LeedsBlue.

• This season’s turning out ok isn’t it?

You can tell when things are going well when you start seeing fewer posts about GA having ‘no plan B’ and more general panic about the shortness of certain players’ contracts.

Nirvana is reached when @Wwfc2015_ drops by to call GA a genius and doesn’t use the term ‘get a life’ in his post.

• What a great result and what a great effort from the 190 blues who went...

• @arnos_grove - We are using plan B by default with Bayo injured. Hopefully he will be available again soon so we have the option of implementing plan A, if and when Plan B is not working.

• Superb win

Was important not to let the top 6 get too far away from us

• What a great result. Living the dream. Sadly I've got to miss Barnsley so make sure they keep it up!!

• So I'm hearing we don't have a Plan A.

• Fantastic win Ainsworth is doing a great job long may it continue.

• Perhaps a little lucky to come away with 3 points, but they were lucky to score the first. I’m not sure they’ll be happy with the defending for the winning goal.

Samuel and Mackail-Smith didn’t seem to work at all, with CMS looking the more effective of the two when he was on, but Samuel was superb once CMS was off. Kashket is a real asset to have as a sub if we are behind. It’s a shame he isn’t a regular starter as he could score a hatful, but it’s hard to see where he would fit in to our system.

Really enjoyable game (the result helped!) with 100% effort as usual from our players. Just about the only negative was Harriman seeming rusty at left back. Stockdale’s saves and kicking we’re both excellent, I get the feeling his long kicks to Akinfenwa could be an effective weapon if they ever get the chance to play together. Jombati continues to impress at centre back.

The seating at Accrington is much improved on previous years. And a free cup of tea!

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Well done the goalie, could easily have been out of it, what a range of strikers we have too, fred tyse samuel and kashket at the end , not bad at all.

I've said it before, but our attacking depth is scarily good, probably the best we've ever had.
    Ending a game with those four on the pitch, but without Bayo, PCH, Williams, CMS, and Freeman is just ridiculous. I would be happy if any of those 9 were starting

• Just seen the goals (and saves) on the highlights during to work, what an epic victory! Looked like Accy played really well and on another day might have been further ahead but our never say die attitude saw us complete a remarkable turnaround that has GA stamped all over it.

Tenth in div 3 is surely more than anyone thought realistic in August and yet here we are. No cups in sight but it appears our away following is growing stronger and it will be a real test in ten days against a strong Barnsley team in the hunt.

He's stock must be sky high as should Wycombe's in general, perhaps we should just float WWFC on the stock exchange?! Fantastic night for the lads and the 190; what an end to the month and the game. Back to the highlights for me now!)

• If only Alex Samuel could add goals to his game...

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@mooneyman said:
    Glad we are getting points on the board before Fred, Morris and Williams go back to their respective clubs.

I imagine we'll probably keep Fred and Williams - also, 20 points in the last 10 games, two of which against Sunderland and Peterboro isn't a bad return at all.

Wasn't it four points from them two games?

That'll be two of those games were against Sunderland and Peterboro - now's not the time for pedantry.

• Sounds like a fantastic backs to the wall win. The tenacity and sheer doggedness of this group is amazing and we should not take it for granted.
    Shame there is such a long wait for the next game

• Winning ugly against teams around us is a good thing innit?

• Let's spare a thought for the terrible start to the season for Trevor. Two games when an opposition goal promised so much.

• edited November 2018

@Wendoverman - Unfortunately, the good times will eventually come back for Trevor. Richie on the other hand must be delighted with his boys being third.

• we didn't win that ugly - I thought we played really well second half

• I didn't see it Eric I was just going by the descriptions of travellers and ifollowers. Good to hear we were good value!!

• When you look at some of the players involved last night it's actually ridiculous

Kashket - not wanted by Orient, who are now in the conference
    Samuel - not wanted by Stevenage, a league 2 side
    Thompson - not wanted by Notts County, struggling at the foot of League 2
    Adam El Abd - not wanted by Shrewsbury, dispatched on Saturday and below us in the league

Long may this ragtag bunch of rejects continue to delight and inspire us

• edited November 2018

I am always happy to see Wycombe win, but one thing that gave me particular enjoyment last night was completing the win after McConville's rather unnecessarily over-the-top, provocative goal celebration in front of the away fans. What was that about? Is there some history between him and our fans that I am not aware of?

I was very happy to see him traipsing off disappointed as a member of the losing side after that.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I didn't see it Eric I was just going by the descriptions of travellers and ifollowers. Good to hear we were good value!!

Gareth's family were there last night, @Wendoverman?

• Because he said travellers?

Seriously?

• I hope that was meant as a joke HC Blue, but even if it was, it was in very poor taste.

• somewhat amusing that Accies fans bemoaned the fact that Coleman did not make subs early enough. That was my complaint about Gazzer last season, although he won promotion by not listening to me.