Skip to content

McGinley should not play in the next two

At fault for three goals. Doesn't commit himself enough. WDH should have played today, more experienced.

Comments

• Is this "joke of the day"?

• Certainly no WDH fan. But for such an important couple of games I'd go for a player who isn't as green as McGinley. He'll probably become a decent league two centre back in a few years, but he made some critical mistakes today.

• Brown is awful aswell we would be up by now if we had a decent keeper.

• I've seen him make saves that have won us points, so I think he's had a decent season overall. We could certainly do better though

• Have to agree with Cambridge. McGinley should be left out of next 2 matches.Sidi has said he back next match so would start with him

• @Cambridge_Blue said:
    I've seen him make saves that have won us points, so I think he's had a decent season overall. We could certainly do better though..Stats say that pretty much a shot on target is a goal against brown.. same story today.

• For my money, the first goal we conceded more or less determined the game. It was an absolute shocker by Browny. And, for all that I think I like the man, the way he tried to deflect by whinging to the lino afterwards rather than owning his mistake lowered him a little in my estimation.

• I'm no fan of McGinley or WDH and hope desperately Sido is close. But if not I'd play O'Nien CB
    .McGinley was unspeakably bad

• The ref had no call to apologise. Brown should have been 1000% more determined in collecting the ball to make the matter redundant.

• The first goal definitely determined the mood. The team as a whole did not recover. Move on still in 3rd

• Surprised but not surprised to read this thread after getting online for the first time since the game today. Not surprised because some people need a scapegoat but surprised to choose a young lad making his way in the game. He wasn't great today but neither were so many others with more experienced. He certainly wasn't the reason we conceded four goals.

@DJWYC14 can you actually say someone is unspeakably bad?

If he plays next week I hope he gets full support from everyone. Never seen anyone improve without it.

• I would love McGinley to pop up with a 90th minute winning header against Chesterfield or Stevenage, poor lad.

• Poor lad! No. He is playing at a level that is clearly to high for him.

• He’s a young lad learning his craft in a very difficult position. He looked a bit out of his depth today admittedly but he wasn’t alone and on Tuesday for example he grew well into the game after a torrid first half.

• The most disappointing thing about today, for me, has been reading some of the comments posted on here. Reading them has left be feeling worse than I felt watching that cheating idiot Dunne rolling around as if he was having a heart attack.
    For sure we were collectively second best today by a long way. But nothing has changed since this morning. If we win our next two matches we will be promoted.
    Those suggesting that McGinley/Brown/Gape should be taking the blame ought to be thinking what would that achieve. These players have been giving there all and still have, at least, 2 more games to go. GA will be looking to lift everybody next week not looking at who to blame.
    As supporters we all have our opinions and will at times offer the manager and players our perceived wisdom. However, now is not the time to look for scapegoats but to unite behind the players for a final push onward to promotion.

• When we signed Scarr he looked raw but his physical presence sometimes made up for his lack of experience, he developed reasonably quickly and learned some lessons alongside El Abd who was not in much form at the time himself.
    When McGinley joined his debut with Moore v Colchester was one of the highlights of the season for different reasons. However McGinley gave away a penalty in his next game and does not seem to have recovered. He looks shell shocked very quickly in a game and I am surprised that WDH was not given the nod.
    Getting Stewart back looks a non-starter, similarly with Scarr, so Sido is our hope. Thinking about 09 as a centre half is fanciful I'm afraid.
    However, lets be honest if we cant beat the next two we really don't deserve to go up.

• @Twizz We do exactly the same, we would do it. Its all part of the game now.

• @M3G it's one thing to go down to try and win a free kick. It's quite another to roll around twitching and jerking like an idiot.

• how anybody can blame Nathan is beyond me, yes he gave away a very silly penalty but Scott Brown cost us the game today along with GA team selection. The first goal in these games is so crucial when we conceded we had been the better side and could have been 2 up were it not for top goalkeeping at the other end.

• what a difference a top keeper makes. if we had blackman tbis season, we would be champions

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    what a difference a top keeper makes. if we had blackman tbis season, we would be champions

If only we could afford him or indeed a similar keeper@Wwfc2015. We're fan owned, budget restricted and BTW where were the rest of the 500 Club 18 contributors this season? We will certainly need to dig deep next season.

@Twizz said:
    The most disappointing thing about today, for me, has been reading some of the comments posted on here. Reading them has left be feeling worse than I felt watching that cheating idiot Dunne rolling around as if he was having a heart attack.
    For sure we were collectively second best today by a long way. But nothing has changed since this morning. If we win our next two matches we will be promoted.
    Those suggesting that McGinley/Brown/Gape should be taking the blame ought to be thinking what would that achieve. These players have been giving there all and still have, at least, 2 more games to go. GA will be looking to lift everybody next week not looking at who to blame.
    As supporters we all have our opinions and will at times offer the manager and players our perceived wisdom. However, now is not the time to look for scapegoats but to unite behind the players for a final push onward to promotion.

Totally with you @Twizz on this. We are a team (supporters and all) and I am SO peed off with reading the negatives from posters that I don't see from one game to the next. I am so grateful for where we are today through the huge efforts of the entire WWFC team and I for one salute you all. Life is full of disappointment and falls but it is how we respond and get up again that defines us. OUR brilliant team are probably the most resilient in the League and will not stumble at the next hurdle at Chesterfield. COYB!

• edited April 2018

@rmjlondon said:
    how anybody can blame Nathan is beyond me, yes he gave away a very silly penalty but Scott Brown cost us the game today along with GA team selection. The first goal in these games is so crucial when we conceded we had been the better side and could have been 2 up were it not for top goalkeeping at the other end.

The ball should never have got to Brown for the first goal. McGinley was jogging back before he realised Jackson was running through. By the time he started sprinting it was too late and his limp attempt at nudging Jackson away from the ball wasn't enough. All then compounded by an awful attempt by Brown to claim the ball.

Add to that the terrible footwork to let his man stroll past him for the second goal, and some incredibly naive defending for the penalty, summed up just how bad he was today.

Yes, he is a young defender trying to make his way in the game, but he is clearly not good enough and I share others concerns about him playing in the final two games.

• Suggesting a player shouldn't play because he's making mistakes is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and doesn't make anyone less of a fan. There's no comparison to having to watch Dunne disgracing football by rolling around like a twat.

• Sadly, I fear football, as it is commonly understood, was not disgraced by Dunne's wild and obvious playacting except that he did it so badly.

• Actually @Cambridge_Blue you made this thread a very personal attack on McGinley and singled him out as being "At fault for three goals". Many others in the team also made mistakes today, are you going to suggest they don't play too. It'll make an interesting team selectionnext week.
    Meanwhile I can and did most certainly say exactly how that made me feel and compared it to other relevant events today.
    Finally nowhere did I say that making a suggestion someone shouldn't play made anyone less of a fan.

• This is a football forum relating to Wycombe Wanderers, surely it's expected that we occasionally would talk about team selection?! And 'personal attack', isn't that taking it a bit far? I think he could have done better for three of our for goals, I don't think that's an unfair thing to say. As I said already, he's got a good future ahead of him in professional football, but he's young and maybe a high pressure promotion push isn't the place for him at the moment.

• Yes @CambridgeBlue it is taking it too far, so why did you do it? You started this thread after all. Look at its title and your first sentence. Looks like a personal attack to me.

• edited April 2018

You and I disagree, I think, @Twizz in our idea of "personal attack".

If all criticism is a "personal attack" if it is directed at no more than one person, then you're onto something in your, um, personal attack, I guess, on @Cambridge_Blue. If criticism becomes a "personal attack" only when it addresses a person's general characteristics rather than matters properly susceptible to criticism like, say, a footballer's ability to play football on a discussion forum about football, I think you're on less sure ground.

As it happens, I don't particularly agree with @Cambridge_Blue's proposition: I find his perspective as limited as you would expect from someone whose name betrays an obvious inability to acknowledge the dark blue half of the club's heritage*. I, like WDH, am more experienced than McGinley but neither of us would be an obviously superior option to him at the moment.

(* personal attack)

• edited April 2018

I haven't seen McGinley play often, on all occasions he looked out of his depth (especially against Cambridge). He showed a willingness to get stuck in that was missing before, though he lacks the instinctive decision making that is crucial for centre backs. He was far from the only player who Stanley made to look second best, and he's playing because we have an injury crisis. I'd imagine there's a good chance we'll need him before the of the season (or in the play-offs if that is our fate).
    Scapegoating him for today's defeat is pointless, we need the positive atmosphere before the game against Chesterfield.

• The bottom line Is we have had to play a lot of the season with a central defensive pairing not of anyone's choosing due to a terrible run of injuries amongst our back four players if we could have played Stewart or Sido next to Adam all the time we would be up by now Adam has been superb in the last few weeks but he has often had to mentor inexperienced partners at the back The GK needs be addressed close seasonBrown is not good enough