Skip to content

McGinley should not play in the next two

Comments

• @Twizz said:
    M3G it's one thing to go down to try and win a free kick. It's quite another to roll around twitching and jerking like an idiot.

May I introduce you to Messers O’Nien, Jacobson and Bloomfield?

• On the goalkeeper front, I watched Accy’s keeper Aaron Chapman turning out a few years back for Belper Town, way down the football pyramid. You could tell he was quality even then - height advantage, calm decision maker.

• @Mr67 said:
    The bottom line Is we have had to play a lot of the season with a central defensive pairing not of anyone's choosing due to a terrible run of injuries amongst our back four players if we could have played Stewart or Sido next to Adam all the time we would be up by now Adam has been superb in the last few weeks but he has often had to mentor inexperienced partners at the back The GK needs be addressed close seasonBrown is not good enough

In mitigation for McGinley he has been unfortunate in having a goalkeeper who is unable to take charge of the area and thus puts more pressure on his fellow defenders. At Middlesbrough, even in their development side he probably plays with a Blackman style keeper.

Brown is an extremely good shot stopper but can't deal with crosses as he stays frozen to the line most times and puts the onus on the defenders to clear. His continual time wasting also I feel is not helpful to the team.

Whilst I don't agree entirely with @ReadingMarginalista, particularly on the ability side, I think it probably is better to play WDH for the last two games (assuming no-one else is available) The reason being that McGinley's confidence may be shot after yesterday. WDH has his faults but Aldershot and Maidstone were both sorry to see him go. There is not a huge difference in the standard of the Conference and Division 2. It would be interesting to know if El-Abd will be consulted by Gareth as to who he would rather play alongside.

• Let's just hope that Sido makes it

• @chapmanio said:
    Yes, he is a young defender trying to make his way in the game, but he is clearly not good enough and I share others concerns about him playing in the final two games.

My thoughts exactly. It’s not about criticising or blame, rather genuine concern that a player who is not the standard required might be relied upon in our final two games.

I’ve been less than impressed, to say the least, since he joined. He was OK at Lincoln 2nd half and Cheltenham (where I could have been CB and not conceded) but those games aside he’s made a very large number of mistakes. He’s also far too quick to put the ball out, rather than distribute or even punt it up field. Perhaps that’s just a lack of confidence.

If he plays he’ll have my full backing, what choice do we have? I sincerely hope Sido is fit however and it’s an irrelevant point.

• Lets hope that McGinley gets more support in the dressing room than from some of the posters on this site. He is a young inexperienced player at the beginning of his career who was playing in a high pressure situation against a club that has proved themselves to be the best in the league. How many on here would fair better in any matched situation?

• It can't help a young centre half making his first steps in the game in front of a keeper like Brown

• Well beaten by the champions. Trollageddon!!

• Just seen the highlights.... I don't feel at all bad about my post. 1st goal, switched off before brown got there and should've been stronger. Second goal, completely rinsed by Jackson. Can't blame him for the third goal. The penalty he gave way was just stupid. I'll cheer him on it he gets picked as much as anyone but GA made a mistake yesterday not bringing WDH in. Yes they're champions and are good but we were creating chances against them and the match could've been so different if we hadn't conceded stupid goals.

• First goal was awful to concede when we were equalling them. Second and third good goals no complaints. I left at 90 minutes so cannot comment on penalty! Play acting by Stanley defence was poor. Tyson and Williams had good games. I think we should have started with kashket and Tyson with cms as centre forward myself...

• there is a massive difference between the National League and League 2

• I was expecting WDH to come in as McGinley hasn't looked solid in recent games, so I guess that means option 2. To be positive, the last few games from El-Abd will stick in my memory, superb stuff, especially at Notts County

• @rmjlondon said:
    there is a massive difference between the National League and League 2

If there is such a massive difference can this Forum's mastermind then explain why in 16/17 Hartlepool and Orient got relegated and struggled to even stay in the National League this season. In 15/16 York and Dagenham got relegated and where are they now?

Looking the other way Cheltenham, Grimsby, Lincoln and Forest Green got promoted from the National League in the last two years and the last time I looked were still in our division!

• I disagree I think the same team except for Saunders for gape and cms playing the centre forward should go against the bottom side. We have the players to win that game and if we don't then seasoned garethophobics like Richie and the honourable sir @wwfc_2015 betterjobthanyou moneybags are allowed go off on one like the sky has fallen.

• Great stuff @Wendoverman. I haven’t read the Wanderer yet but your endorsement (especially of the Nolan Sisters piece) make me determined to set aside an hour or so this afternoon.
    I hope you will agree to write something for the summer issue. Good idea, isn’t it @Jonny ?

• @Cambridge_Blue said:
    I was expecting WDH to come in as McGinley hasn't looked solid in recent games, so I guess that means option 2. To be positive, the last few games from El-Abd will stick in my memory, superb stuff, especially at Notts County

you were obviously not at Lincoln the lad was magnificent !!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I disagree I think the same team except for Saunders for gape and cms playing the centre forward should go against the bottom side. We have the players to win that game and if we don't then seasoned garethophobics like Richie and the honourable sir wwfc_2015 betterjobthanyou moneybags are allowed go off on one like the sky has fallen.

Who on earth starts posting about making more money than fellow posters on a football forum. I’ve not seen anything like it since the early days of Friends Reunited.

The bloke is very special indeed. His ravings makes Richie seem like a rare old sage!

• rare old sage ??

• Exceptionally wise guy, rmj

• Knows his onions.

• @micra I did not endorse the Nolan piece excellent though it was...the film page though that was Great!

• But ' seem like a rare old sage' does not mean rare old sage richie

• at least your a bigger idiot than me eh - something we should all be grateful for.

• Still waiting for old sage Richie to respond to my post at 2.13pm.

• We should also consider that we don't know the exact terms of his loan from 'Boro. It may be he has to play a minimum number of games (if injury free) or we have to stump up his Championship wages! I don't know this as any fact and am just adding to the debate.

• ‘Twas @eric_plant I now discover, @Wendoverman.

• @mooneyman: perhaps Richie means the massive difference is in favour of the National League. Began to wonder meself when I saw how Lincoln were motoring in the FA Cup last season.

• Twas inspired

• Lincoln were a special case who walked the league, Macclesfield have won a very poor league this year.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Lincoln were a special case who walked the league, Macclesfield have won a very poor league this year.

A very poor league where last years second division relegated teams and the previous years relegated teams couldn't even finish in the top half of the National League. Please explain Mr know it all?