Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A nothing game really, that neither side deserved to win. We created very little and Coventry created even less. Defensively we were as solid as I've seen us this season, but just 1 inexplicable error from JJ and we've ended up somehow losing.

No need for any drastic action, although it would be good to see Freeman get a start. PCH had a couple of decent touches, but was generally off his game. O'Nien was superb in the middle, what little quality there was in the game came from him.

• Both sides were dire but that was a better performance I thought. Until the pen of course. JJ mistake left defence in a bind up to that point I thought so and and scarr had been excellent. Paris has never been a favourite of mine but he's been doing the business recently so no point complaining. He's been poor last two games though. Tyson's pace was good to see as well. If we bounce back against Crawley these two games will be forgotten. @Wwfc2015_ really? I mean really? Coventry did not look great to me either, although they did keep bayo quiet.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm baffled why we don't have somebody on the halfway line when we concede a corner, What is the point of clearing the ball when there isn't anyone there.

• Very frustrating night wish we had another left back so we could give jj a rest. Not much positives from tonight except onien and scarr both had good games. Crawley is a huge game now lets hope we dont bottle these last 11 games up until now we have had a good season would be a shame to throw it away.

• A much improved defensive display. Deserved to be a 0-0 really. Not too disappointed by the display and although the result is a shame, it probably evens out som of the games we have pinched lately when a draw may have been fair.

It is really the shite performance on Saturday that makes tonight hard to take as it means the bubble is now well and truly burst.

I still think the team have enough to take 7 wins from the remaining 11 and challenge for top 3.

Getting Stewart, Harriman and Saunder back for the run in would be huge.

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    bye bye auto promotion

What a ridiculous comment. Have you looked at the league table?

• @bigred87 said:
    I can't wait for ainsworth to have a hair cut, it must be in his eyes that can be only reason that sulking cunt pch stayed on the pitch that long!

It absolutely wasn't one of his better games but in his slight defence some of the balls to him were terrible. You really think that strongly about one of our most talented players? If so why didn't you tell us all that when he scored those goals in the recent winning run?

• A nailed on nil nil draw ruined by a single mistake by someone who doesn't make those mistakes very often.
    Coventry probably defended as well against us as anyone I've seen in recent months and if we don't score we are always likely to make an error at the back.
    Probably the coldest I've ever been at a football match

• fair play to everyone that went last night, admirable commitment to the team

I must confess, I ventured outside at lunchtime yesterday and my mind was made up

• I just cannot get on board with Dan Scarr, sorry. He can defend at times, but he's an absolute clogger. As soon as the ball falls within 10 yards of him, it's hoofed with no direction or sense of geography.

Shame Bayo didn't use the ball as effectively as he has done. He was well marshalled throughout the game, but we've used the direct ball well by playing to his chest for on-rushing midfielders, not waiting for the Mooney-flick-on.

Also, the lack of creativity from any midfielder was simply jaw-dropping. It took them until half-time to realise they could turn and actually move the ball towards the Coventry goal, and not simply pass it back to Brown.

• If, as looks likely from the forecast, Saturday's game is called off, would it be such a bad thing. Too many players look knackered again (hardly surprising given the squad size and injuries). Bayo is, apparently, still carrying a knock and could do with a rest, but until we have more options in midfield (with Saunders back for example), can't see how we'd function without him.

Depressing if predictable to see the "we're shit" / "we're bottling it" brigade out on FB again.

• It was indeed bleddy code. I had many layers on but still lost feeling in me face and feet! Kudos to travelling Coventry fans. Good turnout and lots of noise. It really is embarrassing sometimes when the trolls return. Two poor games in what has been a good season so far and up they pop. I suppose they have to get in quick before we go on another run. Ref was very poor as well if no-one else has mentioned it.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If, as looks likely from the forecast, Saturday's game is called off, would it be such a bad thing. Too many players look knackered again (hardly surprising given the squad size and injuries). Bayo is, apparently, still carrying a knock and could do with a rest, but until we have more options in midfield (with Saunders back for example), can't see how we'd function without him.

Depressing if predictable to see the "we're shit" / "we're bottling it" brigade out on FB again.

I admit we could do with a rest, and Saturday being off would give us 10 days. But all it would do is give us less rest later in the season. Remember Lincoln still needs to be rearranged too.
    Suddenly we're all be saying the same thing about Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday again. I feel we need Saturday to be on.

• It was the ref's first game of the season after injury, wasn't it - given that and the temperature, little wonder he was a bit behind on pace. Trying to remember a much colder home game, though the FA Cup replay against Grimsby in '01 always sticks with me as the coldest I've ever been at a game.

• @clifty04 Very true, though it would at least give some of the injured a chance to come back and give us more options to rest other players. A fit Saunders would give us the chance, if we needed it, to rest Bayo and go 4-4-2 for a change.

• An inexplicable mistake from JJ, but in fairness El Abd didn't have to chop their man down.
    He was still a second barrier, it wasn't a definite goal situation!

One to forget though, dreadful game, horribly cold. Next!

• That's also true @MindlessDrugHoover. Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday may not be so bad if we suddenly have Saunders, Harriman and potentially Stewart back therefore more squad depth with the possibility of rotation.

• we were never going to get through to the end of the season without a dodgy spell. What is good is that we have a lot of experienced old pros now who have been through it all before and on whom we can rely to exude an aura of calm and lack of panic.

• you mean like El Abd did when he chopped down there lad when he didn't need too, I don't blame JJ the ball was lost on the halfway line we need to be better defensively.

• Exactly @eric_plant what is key now is how long it takes us to bounce back. The experience in the squad will certainly help. We have taken 13 points from the last 7 games against the 3 we gained from the comparable games earlier in the season. Not a bad return, just a pity we have had a bad game and a relatively poor one in the last two.

• yeah Richie, I was talking a touch more generally than a specific incident in a specific game

Apologies if that wasn't clear

• we just have to hope fatty leaving Mansfield mucks them up.

• Was the ref that bad, @Wendoverman ? Carrying a pound or two too much, for sure, but I don't think he got anything badly wrong, unlike many we've had this season. Fairly unobtrusive, didn't make it all about him. I wouldn't be sorry to have him again - which again is not what you'd say about lots we've seen.

• I have a tendency towards pessimism, which makes me concerned that Wycombe will now struggle to be in an automatic promotion position at the end of the season. We do, however, now have a run of four very winnable games before we face Notts County on Good Friday. Win those and things will look rather more positive.

• I'm going off last night's performance from him, in the first half when he was playing in front of me (halfway line woodlands) his body language wasn't good to a point I actually thought he was injured........this is a forum surely it's the place to vent my thoughts/anger @Malone like all of us I'm a paying customer who sat in -5 to see a professional mope around was extremely frustrating.......

• @Wig_and_Pen he looked very off the pace to me, but of course we did not lose because of him. I agree El-abd dropped a clanger but he had been fine up to then. It's narrow margins.

• I'm hoping the saturday game is on as they need to get back on the (winning) horse as quick as possible.

• You can of course voice your thoughts, @bigred87, just as the other paying custemers can draw their own conclusions about the value of those thoughts by the words you choose to describe them.