Skip to content

Match day thread: PNE (FA cup 3rd round)

Comments

• @EwanHoosaami surely there was plenty of passion today? Outclassed definitely and some players were exceptionally poor. But the workmate cannot be faulted surely.

• Our defence lacks so much composure without Stewart

• Our defence lacks defenders without Stewart.

• I agree with @Malone and @OakwoodExile, we were outclassed (as expected) with our makeshift defence and despite the comment from @EwanHoosaami about the gulf in class, I feel that Spurs allowed us to play far more than PNE did today. IMHO the Championship is often tougher opposition than Premiership as the top division play technical fancy stuff and Championship sides still understand how to play classic football, thus often providing difficult opposition.

As for passion, I can't say I felt the team lacked that today overall; they just couldn't get the ball (particularly the second ball) and with a fast skillful team like PNE, our small pitch exacerbates the difficulty in finding space to play. More supporters should vote with their wallets and support the transfer fund to assist GA in building a promotion worthy side.

Today, I expected nothing, hoped for something but received a lesson in Championship (and huge finance) class. I REALLY hope that we can take this defeat and turn it into commitment to thrash ColU next week!

• I felt for Bean, a month out and then out of position against superior opposition. He just crumbled in all aspects of his game.
    The rest of the defence in both halves played like strangers which says to me that there is a lack of leadership back there (and ability in some instances).
    Optimistic formation in my opinion. Bloomers playing high up leaving our midfield exposed throughout. Finally Bayo. One of the few times I have seen Bayo nullified was against us for Wimbledon (?) when Murphy played in front of him the whole time and all he could do was foul. That was today. O’Neil had clearly scouted us.
    Postives? Freeman and Brown I guess. That’s about it

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Always a tough draw @ValleyWanderer is right with a championship side in form you won’t get the sniff of complacency that you could with a prem league team and it was a lot to ask of Bean to play out of position against them but GA saw the same game and the transfer window is open

• Embarrassing , shambolic, disorganised, inept. PNE very good side but lets face it we had players unable to communicate with eachother, our own players going for the ball at the same time, a player unable to take a throw in correctly, players passing directly to the opposition, players punting the ball anywhere they could. Rabbits in head lights springs to mind
    No passion no direction no game plan - we played like a Sunday league outfit. We may get away with this at div 2 level week in and week out but thank God no one is talking of a FIVE YEAR PLAN to get us into the Championship anymore because with this gulf in class 5 light years might be a better measure.
    Embarrassing

• Agree with most of the more balanced comments above. One thing I've noticed in recent matches is our reluctance or inability to pass to Tyson when he's clearly available. When he got it a couple of times near the end he made a couple of excellent runs as we know he can.

• Only Wycombe of the League Two sides who played Championship sides let themselves down. Mansfield, Stevenage and Carlisle all got draws and Notts County won at Brentford. Of the others both Luton and Exeter only lost by 2 goals against Premier opposition, Coventry beat a Premier League side and Yeovil put out a League One side. You should NOT be conceding 5 goals at home - a totally inept performance led by a manager whose credendtials are regretably questionable.

• I find it slightly disturbing that Marcus Bean can't take a throw in. I don't think jeering him is the right way to go but that is mental. He could have been pulled up for more imho.

• @CJW what do you mean GAs “credentials are regrettably questionable” qualify that remark what are you questioning.
    As for the rest of it we got stuffed in the cup calm down the season is going okay

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ainsworth's credentials are not questionable.

Every team has a shocker from time to time. It's forgivable when its against a team two divisions higher, next season maybe three.

The black-or-white-and-no-shades-inbetween brigade out in full force tonight.

• Fame_46, I agree with you that it may not define our season but it does give us an insight into how certain players perform under pressure. The result for at least 70% of the team was pretty poorly.
    I want us to make the play-offs and win the final at Wembley but if we did, what on earth are we going to do next season, knowing that we would need to change out most of the current squad.

Yes Preston are a really good Championship side with a very astute manager but we should have done far better and we were devoid of quality, passion and a game plan, which rings alarm bells.

• Evening guys. Not here to gloat not my style. Reading your comments and knowing how good GA is your main concern is promotion. This result will be chip paper in a couple of weeks.
    We rested the spine of our team today, in hugill, Pearson, Davies and maxwell but we’re assembling a talented team the likes of which I’ve not seen in 40 years of following pne.
    Let this game go, focus on promotion and good luck for the rest of the season!

• Bean in the first half......never seen anything like it, was he high?

• Nice to see a few less than regular posters surfacing to stick the boot in tonight.

Yes we were poor but equally Preston were excellent. Many of our players were just back from injury, others played out of position and we had the worst possible start courtesy of a guy who was playing and scoring for Man U last May.

We won't play a better side again this season and with Kashket back and hopefully others returning to match fitness there's little reason to be hugely pessimistic.

Also, anyone says we didn't play with any passion is an idiot.

• I wonder if Saunders has ever had a worse 45 minutes than the first half today?

• Saunders 'Glory ball' in the first minute that led to the free kick and there goal was the thing that drives coaches and managers to despair.
    Totally selfish act, and im a Saunders fan

• Some really confused cunts in that terrace.

The same people who berate their own fans for leaving early, (is there a fire drill) and then only stay themselves to take the piss out of their own players. E.g. bean throw ins and then sarcastically cheering when we put a few passes together.

We have some real morons.

• I'm a huge Saunders fan, but his passing radar was just not working at all

He was joined by some other notable howlers and we got what we deserved

That said, as poor as we were I was impressed with Preston. And I can see why Callum Robinson has been grabbing the plaudits. He was a class above and looks to have a very bright future

• Let's face it - in the FA Cup losing 5-1 is the same result as 1-0. However, that doesn't paper over the cracks today. Judging by his post-match interview on BBC 3CR after the game, I think even GA was a bit taken aback by the size and nature of the defeat. He was however very complimentary about both the Preston team & Manager Alex Neil.

Despite the thumping I enjoyed watching the way Preston played. It sets a benchmark for how we've got to evolve in the future. If we do win promotion to League One we're going to have to play more like Preston today in order to survive. I watched Peterborough a month ago & pacy counterattacks are a key part of their game. We've just got to get there first.

• I might be being wholIey unfair on him (couldn’t make the game, family commitments) but I always worry when I see the Team sheet and it looks like Bean has to play in the right back slot or is up against pace. Always seems to leave the rest of the defence horribly exposed.

Oh well, it’s just a cup game. Right?

• @TheNixonTapes said:
    Embarrassing , shambolic, disorganised, inept. PNE very good side but lets face it we had players unable to communicate with eachother, our own players going for the ball at the same time, a player unable to take a throw in correctly, players passing directly to the opposition, players punting the ball anywhere they could. Rabbits in head lights springs to mind
    No passion no direction no game plan - we played like a Sunday league outfit. We may get away with this at div 2 level week in and week out but thank God no one is talking of a FIVE YEAR PLAN to get us into the Championship anymore because with this gulf in class 5 light years might be a better measure.
    Embarrassing

Welcome back. Been waiting since August for this moment, haven’t you?

Now that’s embarrassing.

• @eric_plant Sam Saunders’ passing was all over the shop last week too. Not quite on it at the moment.

@CJW looking forward to you posting again next time there’s a high profile match.

• Biggest defeat in the cup since VS Rugby, The extremely limited Kevin Day played at centre back that day, But Dan Scarrs peformance is one of the worst ive ever seen in a Wanderers shirt. and when WDH came on at right back at half time, he thoroughly justified most peoples fears.
    But all credit to Preston, played football the right way, and gaves us a proper thumping.

• No surprise to see @TheNixonTapes coming out of the woodwork tonight!

As for 'passion,' could it not just be that a good championship team outclassed a L2 team with a makeshift defence today? Very disappointing to lose like that, but surely no one thinks it's down to our players not wanting to win.

• Yeah, Scarr's performance was one for the ages

• His air shot in the six yard box was surely for the cameras ?