Skip to content

Match day thread: PNE (FA cup 3rd round)

Comments

• On another day, in a closer match we'd all be discussing the referee allowing shirt pulling and holding in the box to go unpunished before suddenly deciding to award a penalty

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Nice to see a few less than regular posters surfacing to stick the boot in tonight.

Yes we were poor but equally Preston were excellent. Many of our players were just back from injury, others played out of position and we had the worst possible start courtesy of a guy who was playing and scoring for Man U last May.

We won't play a better side again this season and with Kashket back and hopefully others returning to match fitness there's little reason to be hugely pessimistic.

Also, anyone says we didn't play with any passion is an idiot.

FYI I am a season ticket holder for the last 15 years and I don’t regularly post on here for exactly the reason that you have displayed in your comments above.....it would appear that anybody who makes a statement that you disagree with is an “idiot” ....Like you, I am I am entitled to my opinion, on how I see something. You may agree or you may disagree but there is no cause to start insulting other people’s comments because you don’t happen to agree with them. I would never do that to anybody else and I would hope that the respect went both ways. Don’t worry, I won’t bother anymore as it’s clear that this message board isn’t available for ALL points of view.

And you might be interested to know I will STILL be there next week and still supporting my club. We had a bad day today and I will say it how I see it.......but I won’t waste my time on here.....

• All welcome on here, just better to have thick skin or enjoy put downs

• Same old Gasroom, same old dullards like Arnos Grove and Floyd peddling their half baked conspiracy theories through their rose tinted spectacles.
    No wonder Gasroom 2.0 has only a trickle of the traffic and postings it once had in its past - most people, like me, just got bored of you - jog on

• I actually thought El-Abd did okay given the chaos around him, particularly first half. Also after a very difficult first half hour I thought we got ourselves back into the game quite well and their second was a classic counter-attack against the run of play.

Having said that we did give the ball away far too easily and in some very dangerous positions.

Disappointing but in the grand scheme of things not that important if we SUMO.

Given how well PNE played I think we'd have struggled even with our first choice back four. Without a right back and any semblance of cohesion it was hardly surprising we were torn apart.

Also agree with the poster about how well they nullified Bayo. May have been worth bringing him off and trying someone else through the middle.

But great to see Kashket back and looking fairly sharp. If he stays fit and we get our defence back I think we've got every chance of a decent finish to the season.

• That’s good stuff Nixy, you certainly haven’t lost your touch.

• Maybe our worst performance of the Ainsworth era? Yes we were of course dreadful during much of the near relegation season, but even then I don't think we were ever as shambolic defensively. Saunders set the tone of the performance in the 1st 10 seconds with that dreadful pass and we never really recovered from that.

Of the starting XI, Brown was excellent, without him the score could have been any number. Bloomfield was by far and away our best outfield player, probably the only one who could claim to have had a decent game. Freeman was ok, battled hard and did have a couple of good runs and crosses, but the other 8 players were all well, well below their best. I did feel for Tyson though, he worked hard throughout, but only in the last 5 minutes did he actually receive the ball in positions where he could run an defenders, for 85 mins I think he barely touched the thing!

Any critism of Ainsworth however is well wide of the mark in my opinion. He fielded as strong a line up as he could, but the players who've been playing throughout the Christmas fixtures looked frankly knackered, whilst the returning players looked massively short of match fitness (poor Bean was an absolute disaster in the 1st half). Added to that of course, it has to be said that Preston were very, very good. Even with our strongest starting XI, today would have been extremely tough against superior opposition.

Seems churlish to talk about the referee after a game in which we've been so comprehensively outplayed, but what the hell, why not! I think everyone in the Frank Adams saw the foul on Akinfenwa in the 1st half, it was pretty much as blatant as it gets with the defender holding onto him and pretty much pulling the shirt off his back as he tried to challenge for the ball. The foul started outside the box and carried on inside the box with the crowd screaming at the officials for the foul. The non decision would have been easier to take if the referee had shown any signs of consistency, but Akinfenwa was then punished throughout the match for the most minor of indescretions and this was compounded by the award of a penalty for Preston for a holding offence that was far less obvious than the one he'd earlier ignored. No matter how much we were outplayed, this inconsistency was very frustrating.

To finish on a positive, it was great to see Kashket back and looking sharp. Such a shame their keeper denied him with a fine save in the final minute. If he can return to anything like the form he showed when fit last season, he'll be a massive assett to us.

• @Pete said:
    And you might be interested to know I will STILL be there next week and still supporting my club. We had a bad day today and I will say it how I see it.......but I won’t waste my time on here.....

Pete - don't get put off by the trolls on here like Mindless Drug Hoover, Floyd and Anus Grove.
    These trolls want a level of censorship on here that would make the North Korean dictatorship blush.
    You have every right to have your opinion and you have every right to express it.
    They spend their lives on here putting down the views of others.
    No doubt they live in friendless bedsits and this chat room represents their life work.
    Its like work experience for ugly people.
    Say what you got to say Pete.

• edited January 2018

@Pete said:

Hear hear ....everyone is entitled to their own opionon

• @Wycombe85 Worst performance during the Ainsworth era? Come on, you only need go back to last week, 2nd half against Mansfield was worse. We lost to them too and they were no where near as good as Preston. Today we saw what happens if you make mistakes against an in-form team that are two divisions higher.

• We were rubbish, PNE were excellent-very bad day at the office so forget it and move on. Some idiots on the Facebook page predictably full of doom and gloom.
    My favourite was Ben Mawby calling GA ‘tactically inept’,
    one of the favourite cliches used by new age fans.
    Number of games played by GA in professional football:
    circa 550. Number of games played in pro football by Mr.Mawby:0.
    Number of games in pro football as a manager for GA:
    circa 300. Number of games in pro football as a manager for Mr.Mawby:0. Need I say any more?

• Trolls calling regular posters 'trolls'. YCMIU

• @CJW said:
    Only Wycombe of the League Two sides who played Championship sides let themselves down. Mansfield, Stevenage and Carlisle all got draws and Notts County won at Brentford. Of the others both Luton and Exeter only lost by 2 goals against Premier opposition, Coventry beat a Premier League side and Yeovil put out a League One side. You should NOT be conceding 5 goals at home - a totally inept performance led by a manager whose credendtials are regretably questionable.

Shouldn’t you be on the Facebook page? Last time I looked we were 5th in the league.

• @Wycombe85 said:

Maybe our worst performance of the Ainsworth era? Yes we were of course dreadful during much of the near relegation season, but even then I don't think we were ever as shambolic defensively. Saunders set the tone of the performance in the 1st 10 seconds with that dreadful pass and we never really recovered from that.

Of the starting XI, Brown was excellent, without him the score could have been any number. Bloomfield was by far and away our best outfield player, probably the only one who could claim to have had a decent game. Freeman was ok, battled hard and did have a couple of good runs and crosses, but the other 8 players were all well, well below their best. I did feel for Tyson though, he worked hard throughout, but only in the last 5 minutes did he actually receive the ball in positions where he could run an defenders, for 85 mins I think he barely touched the thing!

Any critism of Ainsworth however is well wide of the mark in my opinion. He fielded as strong a line up as he could, but the players who've been playing throughout the Christmas fixtures looked frankly knackered, whilst the returning players looked massively short of match fitness (poor Bean was an absolute disaster in the 1st half). Added to that of course, it has to be said that Preston were very, very good. Even with our strongest starting XI, today would have been extremely tough against superior opposition.

Seems churlish to talk about the referee after a game in which we've been so comprehensively outplayed, but what the hell, why not! I think everyone in the Frank Adams saw the foul on Akinfenwa in the 1st half, it was pretty much as blatant as it gets with the defender holding onto him and pretty much pulling the shirt off his back as he tried to challenge for the ball. The foul started outside the box and carried on inside the box with the crowd screaming at the officials for the foul. The non decision would have been easier to take if the referee had shown any signs of consistency, but Akinfenwa was then punished throughout the match for the most minor of indescretions and this was compounded by the award of a penalty for Preston for a holding offence that was far less obvious than the one he'd earlier ignored. No matter how much we were outplayed, this inconsistency was very frustrating.

To finish on a positive, it was great to see Kashket back and looking sharp. Such a shame their keeper denied him with a fine save in the final minute. If he can return to anything like the form he showed when fit last season, he'll be a massive assett to us.

Fleetwood away in the bad season when we lost vs 10 men for an hour can surely never be surpassed for badness.

• @missionary said:
    Evening guys. Not here to gloat not my style. Reading your comments and knowing how good GA is your main concern is promotion. This result will be chip paper in a couple of weeks.
    We rested the spine of our team today, in hugill, Pearson, Davies and maxwell but we’re assembling a talented team the likes of which I’ve not seen in 40 years of following pne.
    Let this game go, focus on promotion and good luck for the rest of the season!

Congratulations and thanks for the good wishes. Can see play-offs as a very real prospect for PNE. Reasonable chance for us if three or four of our injured defenders can recover soon and stay mainly fit.

• Let's face it less - today was all part of an elaborate plan to lull Colchester into a false sense of security. Oh how we'll laugh at their shocked little faces when we beat them 3-0!

• I see the all knowing Mr.Mawby has decided that today ‘along with most of the season’ was a ‘disgrace’. I must have read the league table and goals for column the wrong way round.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Another poster called James Piercey is just as bad. He thinks we should get rid of ( that’s the polite version of what he said) El Abd, Jombati and Jacobson.

• Leave the Facebook asylum to the lunatics.

• Although foul throws for a professional of his standing is not acceptable, I do have some sympathy for Bean. Why oh why do our players not make themselves available for the throw-in/lack of movement and then get within 6 feet of him when they do so. Surely this is far too close and is going to result in not letting go of the ball early enough.

• @glasshalffull I don’t think it’s either nice or constructive to name people who are saying things on Facebook that you disagree with here where they don’t have a chance to respond. You could reply to them on Facebook or ignore them instead.

• The morning after when you look back on the result in a more reflective manner you can appreciate that Preston have a very special squad. However, even the most rose tinted glass wearers will have to admit that Scarr and WDH are extremely poor and are real weak League two players.
    I do feel for Marcus Bean as he was asked to play out of position and probably will never live down his throw in antics.
    Onward and upward. COYB

• Yes, 'worst performance of the Ainsworth era' was perhaps a little OTT! My comments were based more on our defensive frailties, rather than our struggles elsewhere, as in the past even when we've been poor and one dimensional going forward we've tended to be reasonably solid at the back. I did wonder if perhaps we tried to play too much football yesterday? We were struggling so much with the basics, that maybe resorting to route 1 would at least have seen us conceding possession in dangerous areas less?

There were mitigating circumstances to the performance of course and I certainly wouldn't go along with any thoughts of getting them in on a Sunday for extra training. For me, I almost feel we should be giving the likes of JJ, Bayo, Scarr, Saunders extra days off to put their feet up, spend some time with their families and come back in on Thursday refreshed and refocused for Colchester on Saturday.

• @Chris said:
    glasshalffull I don’t think it’s either nice or constructive to name people who are saying things on Facebook that you disagree with here where they don’t have a chance to respond. You could reply to them on Facebook or ignore them instead.

Can’t go along with your sensitivity. I have posted on Facebook in the past and what comes back is abuse, often in foul language. They are just as capable of reading the Gas Room and defending their views on here.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    The morning after when you look back on the result in a more reflective manner you can appreciate that Preston have a very special squad. However, even the most rose tinted glass wearers will have to admit that Scarr and WDH are extremely poor and are real weak League two players.
    I do feel for Marcus Bean as he was asked to play out of position and probably will never live down his throw in antics.
    Onward and upward. COYB

Both Scarr and WDH were signed by clubs who play in the Championship so I think you are being very harsh in writing them off as weak players at League 2 level.

• With the benefit of a sleep I have to say it was not pleasant watching our lads be run over in that fashion however they did play with effort and we are short staffed at the back.not the end of the world and I am more interested in our response next week in a very important league match

• @glasshalffull are you Alan Parry?

While we wouldn't have been able to play Max Muller yesterday as he was cup tied, I'm yet to see the sense in extending his loan until the end of the season. He'd waltz back into our starting line-up at the moment and hopefully fight for that place when others returned from injury. He is a massive improvement on WDH and quite probably on Scarr as well.

• @TheNixonTapes me, a troll? Is that the best you can do? Genuinely pathetic.

• Really! Well the proof of the cooking will be in the eating. We will see how we do in the coming weeks if we have to give a lot of game time to WDH or Scarr on yesterday’s performance. I sincerely hope I am wrong but they do not inspire me with confidence. Our back four, without Stewart, is pretty frail.