Skip to content

Match day thread: PNE (FA cup 3rd round)

Comments

• @marlowchair said:
    With the benefit of a sleep I have to say it was not pleasant watching our lads be run over in that fashion however they did play with effort and we are short staffed at the back.not the end of the world and I am more interested in our response next week in a very important league match

I agree 100 per cent. Colchester is a game that really matters to fans of a certain age group!

• @glasshalffull Can't remotely agree with your proposition about FB/Gasroom conversation. The comments you refer to were not made here: they were made on Facebook and the majority of posters here have no knowledge of them except what you relate (nor, by the sounds of it, any particular reason to want any). If your conversational experience there is unpleasant, perhaps shun the place - it sounds an unfruitful place for discussion. Don't come here to complain about or belittle the people, by name, that you don't care for there.

• Obviously Stewart is a very good defender and we’ve really missed him but I think Scarr has done well in recent league games and is capable of having a career at our level.

• @aloysius said:
    glasshalffull are you Alan Parry?

While we wouldn't have been able to play Max Muller yesterday as he was cup tied, I'm yet to see the sense in extending his loan until the end of the season. He'd waltz back into our starting line-up at the moment and hopefully fight for that place when others returned from injury. He is a massive improvement on WDH and quite probably on Scarr as well.

What makes you think that’s who I am and why does it matter anyway? I’m happy to be anonymous and I assume that you are as well.
    Regarding Muller, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but if GA made that decision based on everything he knows then I for one am happy to trust his judgement.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Obviously Stewart is a very good defender and we’ve really missed him but I think Scarr has done well in recent league games and is capable of having a career at our level.

I certainly agree with that.

• @HCblue said:
    glasshalffull Can't remotely agree with your proposition about FB/Gasroom conversation. The comments you refer to were not made here: they were made on Facebook and the majority of posters here have no knowledge of them except what you relate (nor, by the sounds of it, any particular reason to want any). If your conversational experience there is unpleasant, perhaps shun the place - it sounds an unfruitful place for discussion. Don't come here to complain about or belittle the people, by name, that you don't care for.

Why adopt such a hectoring tone? With the greatest of respect, it is not for you to decide what is and isn’t the right subject for debate. As long as I adhere to Gas Room rules (and I’m not aware of having broken any) then I don’t see the problem.

• Unless I missed something, there are no rules here. It is expressly intended as a self-policing site. Two different people, at least one of whom is a consistently thoughtful poster, have politely made the same observation about the nature of your comments. If you don't see the problem, the problem may not be someone else's.

At the end of a very detailed submission by the skilled barrister, the listening judge proclaimed himself to be none the wiser.

"Perhaps, my lord," came the reply. "But you are much better informed."

• @glasshalffull I think that's who you are because you share very similar traits: a combative style of writing; unswerving support for every decision GA makes; regular bemoaning of negativity among other posters. Plus you said you've had run-ins on the Facebook group and previously alluded to knowing confidential club information. Why does it matter anyway? It doesn't - though it does give your posts about having inside information more credibility.

• People's expectations of being in with a chance of a result may have been a result of us more than holding our own against Spurs and Villa in recent cup runs. We came across a much better team that immediately stamped their authority on the game and barely gave us a chance to get on the ball ourselves.
    Definitely a dispiriting afternoon, though I'd be much more worried if we let 4th division teams make us look that bad as well.

• @HCblue said:
    Unless I missed something, there are no rules here. It is expressly intended as a self-policing site. Two different people, at least one of whom is a consistently thoughtful poster, have politely made the same observation about the nature of your comments. If you don't see the problem, the problem may not be someone else's.

At the end of a very detailed submission by the skilled barrister, the listening judge proclaimed himself to be none the wiser.

"Perhaps, my lord," came the reply. "But you are much better informed."

I’m pretty sure there are rules regarding bad language etc but I may be wrong. I mentioned the Facebook remarks simply to point out how some people go completely over the top when it comes to assessing a game of football. I think that’s a reasonable subject for debate.
    For the purposes of accuracy, I think you’ll find that, apart from yourself, one person wrote that I was wrong to highlight the Facebook comments and one person agreed with what I’d said. To use your legal analogy, let’s leave it to the jury to decide...and I am only joking!

• I'm with @Nixontapes the failing gasroom full of dishonesty so SAD. No need for him to interact with FAKE NEWS!!!

• I’ve followed this thread with more than usual interest as I have followed a very similar route to @glasshalffull - ie I used to post on the FB page until I found the level of “debate”, for the most part, so deplorably puerile that I became reluctant to comment. I decided to opt out of commenting but to cast an eye over it occasionally for any pearls of wit or wisdom which might have slipped through the net after being told to “go f***k yourself” by John Young McNeill. I have made one or two quips recently and still read pretty well everything because I like to get a handle on people’s feelings across the board. I like to pay compliments when appropriate and a few months ago I said on here that there had been a good, balanced and sensible post by Toby Brittan. @HCblue commented that he had taught him “a million years ago” and that he was indeed a mature, sensible lad.
    Today, I commend (and have ‘liked’) a long, thoughtful post from Goulam Freed.

• Reading through the posts here and so I thought I'd drop in my take.

Brown had a good game I thought (despite conceding 5!), some good shot stopping to keep the score down to 5. EA was ok and made a few clever and essential interventions and broke up their play. Bean was out of position big time, would have been better putting anyone else at RB and sticking Beanie in from the the two CBs. The throw ins were comical, I have to laugh or I'd cry......
    Blooms was the midfield engine, but why he was making runs in support of Bayo whereas Tyson didn't seem to get any service is a little mystery.
    Bayo as usual got a rough deal, getting three men on him every time we hoofed it forward. Don't want to blame the ref but really....? I was in the FA stand and the Lino in front of us was not good. Even simple things like a blatant offside or even making sure the ball actually was at least touching the white line for a corner was too much to ask, I can only assume the ref had told the linos not to flag.......
    it was good to see Kash back and hopefully that bodes well for next Saturday.
    However, I am not overly disappointed with yesterday, I wanted us out of the cup so as to "concentrate on the league" as we simply can't afford the injuries that would inevitably come with a cup run. Also PNE were a very good side, they were up for it and they played out of defence and through midfield effortlessly and played good attractive football. Good luck to them for the cup and the rest of the season.

So not downhearted, waiting for the really important game for folks of a like age to me that is C*lu next Saturday.

COYB

• Surely @glasshalffull can't be Alan Parry. Why would Alan Parry know League 2 player budgets when he isn't a member of staff or on either the Club or Trust board?

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Surely glasshalffull can't be Alan Parry. Why would Alan Parry know League 2 player budgets when he isn't a member of staff or on either the Club or Trust board?

Probably been having cosy dinners with Ivor!

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Surely glasshalffull can't be Alan Parry. Why would Alan Parry know League 2 player budgets when he isn't a member of staff or on either the Club or Trust board?

I thought you’d got over that debate?
    Incidentally, forgive me for using the word but it’s a little naive to think that you need to be on the staff of a football club to have a rough idea what salaries are.That kind of information is available if you look in the right places.
    How do the newspapers etc know so much about Premier League salaries and transfer fees?

• @micra said:
    I’ve followed this thread with more than usual interest as I have followed a very similar route to glasshalffull - ie I used to post on the FB page until I found the level of “debate”, for the most part, so deplorably puerile that I became reluctant to comment. I decided to opt out of commenting but to cast an eye over it occasionally for any pearls of wit or wisdom which might have slipped through the net after being told to “go f***k yourself” by John Young McNeill. I have made one or two quips recently and still read pretty well everything because I like to get a handle on people’s feelings across the board. I like to pay compliments when appropriate and a few months ago I said on here that there had been a good, balanced and sensible post by Toby Brittan. HCblue commented that he had taught him “a million years ago” and that he was indeed a mature, sensible lad.
    Today, I commend (and have ‘liked’) a long, thoughtful post from Goulam Freed.

Not for the first time I agree with Micra. That post from Goulam Freed was well thought out and well written.
    I think everyone deserves their views to be heard providing they are expressed in a respectful manner.
    However, I do object to personal abuse and the use of bad language on the Facebook page such as that referred to by Micra. In my opinion you lose credibility if you have to resort to swearing and personal attacks.

• Beaten by in form team from higher division after fielding a patched up team after a tricky run of Christmas fixtures. Obviously GA has no idea what he is doing, the players lack passion and are not up to it and the league position is false. I'll be back in a few weeks and I do not expect my comments to be questioned by you sad dullards.

• Nice one @Wendoverman ! You have become irony king of the Gasroom.

• Win or lose Wendoverman is regularly on here with his reasonable, considered opinions. He must be a troll.

• I reckon he is another Alan Parry.

• edited January 2018

@glasshalffull To be fair, half the time they don't, they (the tabloids in particular) just print rumours and guesses as fact, as they often do with their regular reporting. That's why there's often such inconsistent reporting between different papers on players salaries/transfers etc. (No need to trawl through the dailies for an example of this - just take a look at the gossip column on the BBC Football site for a perfect overview of this being the case). Yes, sometimes at Premier League level these things are made public, but they very rarely are at our level, which is the one we're discussing.

Where are these 'right places' to look, out of curiosity? If you know then I'd be interested to have a little browse myself.

• @Jonny_King said:
    glasshalffull To be fair, half the time they don't, they (the tabloids in particular) just print rumours and guesses as fact, as they often do with their regular reporting. That's why there's often such inconsistent reporting between different papers on players salaries/transfers etc. (No need to trawl through the dailies for an example of this - just take a look at the gossip column on the BBC Football site for a perfect overview of this being the case). Yes, sometimes at Premier League level these things are made public, but they very rarely are at our level, which is the one we're discussing.

Where are these 'right places' to look, out of curiosity? If you know then I'd be interested to have a little browse myself.

Reporters obviously have contacts who tip them off with information and although the figures they use are often rounded up (rarely down!) they usually aren’t too far off the mark and are rarely contradicted. You’re right that figures aren’t published so frequently at our level but all clubs in League 2 have local newspapers who are ‘in the know’’. It’s sometimes guesswork I agree but usually well informed.

• @MindlessDrugHoover I do live under a bridge but I'm no alan parry.

• You can probably work out the overall playing staff salaries from the financial numbers of each club but I doubt you would ever accurately be able to work out individuals salaries at our level.

• @TheNixonTapes said:
    No wonder Gasroom 2.0 has only a trickle of the traffic and postings it once had in its past - most people, like me, just got bored of you - jog on

And yet you keep coming back. The most predictable of all posters.

• @Pete said:
    And you might be interested to know I will STILL be there next week and still supporting my club. We had a bad day today and I will say it how I see it.......but I won’t waste my time on here.....

I wish I could post an emoji of a handbag...

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    You can probably work out the overall playing staff salaries from the financial numbers of each club but I doubt you would ever accurately be able to work out individuals salaries at our level.

You’re right but the original debate was more about overall playing budgets rather than individual salaries.

• Straight question. Why are the misery squad so touchy when any of their hyperbolic old guff is challenged.

Even if my opinion is that @TheNixonTapes is a woeful troll who only shows up when we get defeated, none of that stops him posting. I’m not aware that dear old @Pete’s posts are being deleted by happy clapping moderators. So what’s the problem?

Anyway, it’s been good to discover that I am both unduly negative and a a rose-tinted specs wearer. All very confusing!

• I did not realise I was posting on a forum
    That only has a trickle of the traffic it once had and on which I am not allowed to say it how I see it. All very disappointing. Why did no-one say? It's ruined it for me.