Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Agree with everything you say, it was an immensely enjoyable watch yesterday. My one concern though; to me at least, Ravizzoli looks worryingly unable to deal with those "across the goal-line" balls that need him to dive at opponents feet. He has fantastic distribution skills, which is not something we've been used to, but still seems scarily nervous in those goal mouth situations...

• Now wouldn’t it be great to sign Aaron Morley from Bolton on a full time basis in January.

• I went with a Bolton supporting colleague to Huddersfield v Rovers yesterday as we were working in Huddersfield over the weekend. He tells me Morley had fallen out with Evatt which is why he was loaned out.

We need to hope Evatt remains in the job otherwise Morley is likely to go back in January.

On a side note Rovers were awful first half, slightly improved second half after going 4 at the back. Can’t see Taylor lasting much longer, we had three loud chants of Taylor out during the game. Nigel played LB and had an average game. The locals around us felt he was not that great but had improved recently.

• Theres always a number and we actually have an owner who can pay it . I think keeping Morley is crucial.

• According to Wiki, he signed a 3.5yr contract with Bolton in January22, so will be a free agent next summer. I don’t think it will would be a lot to buy out Bolton but if I were in the player’s position I would be looking to secure a Championship wage.

• Aaron Morley is under contract with Bolton Wanderers until 30 June 2027. I think you are looking at a fee of £500,000 simply as a starting point in negotiations.

That figure would absolutely smash our record transfer fee paid (£220,000 to Barnet for Sean Devine in April 1999).

I don’t see Mikhail Lomtadze paying such a fee for one player and as it’s looking increasingly likely we’ll be challenging Bolton Wanderers for promotion, they’re unlikely to allow him to remain on loan with a rival after January 1st 2025.

• Didn’t we bid £650k for the Fleetwood defender in the summer?

• edited October 20

I gave a thumbs up

...... I agree.

It's such a strange one for me with ravs...

I mean his stats are superb... we are winning games.... he makes some superb saves....

Yet... for some unknown reason.... probably totally all in my head.... I just don't rate him as highly as others we have had in goal over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I don't know if it's the mentality that I never thought he would be our no.1 or what?

Like he's doing really well no?

I just don't feel we have a top class keeper like I did with max, stockdale....Allsop

I don't know if because I assumed us paying a fee for George and assumed because of this he would be our no1....

It's weird..... I dunno why I feel like this.

Ravs has rushed off his line towards his box to do something he felt was right a few times when I've felt he was being a bit irrational.

Gave me Jamie Young vibes....a decent keeper for us but many many times I witnessed him run into no.mans land and do something ridiculous

• I agree, he hasn't done a massive amount wrong, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in him, he looks very nervous all the time, is not commanding at all. I can't think of another keeper we've had In the last 20 years who would've let that ball roll across in front of them like he did yesterday for their goal. Also, did anyone else notice Hardie have a bit of a go at him when he didn't come out for the ball towards the end of the 1st half, luckily their bloke scuffed it.

But, like you say, his stats look good

• I think the figure was £500,000 but the rumour regarding Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu should probably be taken with a large pinch of salt.

• That’s not what happened. Harvie went nuts at Rav because Rav shoved Harvie to try and speed up Harvie’s attempt to block the opposing player’s shot. The reason Rav shoved him was because Harvie wasn’t moving quick enough to close down the angle for the shot. In the speed of the moment, I think it was quite a clever idea from Rav, although with a bit more thought he would realise he could injure Harvie - and Harvie’s boot came off. Harvie was fuming because Rav’s shove was futile - they still got a shot off and it left Harvie on the deck like a sack of potatoes and with only one boot on.

It’s stuff like this that really winds me up about Rav. His box management is shockingly bad. His kicking was superb yesterday though.

• Rav does have an unusual knack of making it look like he's made a save by sheer accident, when really he's positioned well.

• Wow, how did I miss that ! Tbh I'm up in the Frank Adams, and in the heat of action I just saw Rav not moving much again, their bloke missing and then Harvie having a go. To me, Rav is a very good back up, but not a number one.

• Rav made a tremendous double save first half yesterday first off his shins - good positioning- the second the strong hand to push away. I thought he got his angles wrong for their goal - too close to the near post. Great ball across goal but Rav was not the only one of our back 5 that might think they could have done a tad better. Hey but that’s football and typical of almost any goal you concede. Don’t agree with the criticism of Rav. His distribution has improved so much and is a real asset to how we now set up to play.

• Goalie is an forgiving position. Especially playing for Wycombe. 🙂

I thought there were plenty of lapses across the defence yesterday but as long as we score more than them...

• I have been a big critic of Rav since day dot, but I thought he was excellent for 95% of yesterday’s game. He’s been better in recent weeks, but that has coincided with us controlling the games in outfield areas!

• The few mistakes Franco made were more conspicuous by pretty much all of the outfield players having such good games.

• From our friend Alan Swann on what he calls "The annual defeat at Adams Park" -

"It was quite the turnaround as Posh had looked the better side either side of the interval"

I genuinely think this guy knows nothing about football. What was he watching? We were so comfortable for all but about 5 minutes. Posh didn't know what to do with us. We were better than them in every aspect of what is required to win a football match.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/the-least-surprising-defeat-of-the-season-for-peterborough-united-as-regular-failings-re-surfaced-4831124

• edited October 20

Kone is, and always will be, a division nine player and yesterday's fluke changes nothing.

Not really, of course, but if we want to keep him beyond Christmas then we're going to have to make more comments like the above.

• edited October 20

Lee Harrison watches our keepers day in day out, he will consult with Blooms re current form / opposition tactics / defensive set up and decide what will work best. At the moment it’s Rav. Personally I’m happy to leave selection to those working behind the scenes.

• Hilariously sour grapes from Cambridgeshire's foremost lemon sucker and wasp chewer.

• He actually for the fist time ever seemed to accept that they lose to Wycombe. But there was still blame at the ref, bad luck (re: our deflected goal), a penalty, and again seemed so sour. Can't just accept that they were beaten by a better team.

I loved when the Posh fans started singing about their Wembley victory. It's not a trophy that I would always wish to win, but not one that bears any bragging rights. Bless them - all 400 of them.

• I know! I wish I had put a few quid on now!

More pleasing than the money however, I have a confession...

When Kone's third went in, I was genuinely holding back tears - his story, and the love and faith that we have shown in this kid (because that's what he is), is truly inspirational. It was a really beautiful footballing moment.

Headlines should be made with stories like this. Instead, we are reading about VAR controversy and foreign managers. Who cares? Embrace the love that this story entails - this is what football is all about.

• Strangely, I thought we played better in the first half despite not scoring than we did in the second half when we (well, Kone) scored 3. Swann is a mouthpiece for their owner like Adrian Durham at TalkSport so I never expect fair or neutral reporting of Wycombe from either of them.

• I actually think that reads as a fairly accurate report on events. Swann is an arse who isn't ever going to acknowledge that Wycombe were the better team. However, he pretty much gets the details correct.

Even down to Pish always getting beat at Adams Park.

• I'm not sure about the end of the first half but Peterborough definitely started the second half better than we did, it's hardly controversial to point that out.

I felt their goal kickstarted our second half performance and thereafter there was only ever one team in it.

• I eventually found Alans masterpiece in that pile of click bait and pop ups and my conclusions are,

Alan Swann is a pretty poor journalist who started at the bottom and stayed there.

Oh and beautiful east European women in my area want to date me now which is nice.

• Peterborough were on top for the last 20 minutes of the first half and were passing it around very nicely. I'm not sure how relevant that is though, because it was all Wycombe for the rest of the game.

• I think it’s entirely uncontroversial to say PUFC looked the better side towards the end of the first half, and at the beginning of the second.

They kept flooding forwards towards the end of the first half and we weren’t really dealing with them - and they had two cracking chances in that time, at least one of which looked like a nailed-on goal.

• I loved the live feed report from Swan. Quote the ball span up in the air, hit Kone on the head and went in. Talk about not wanting to give any credit to the goalscorer😂. Only an instinctive forward would have backwards headed a spinning ball into the area that the keeper couldn't reach. I say instinctive because Richard said he didn't know where the keeper was, but he did know where he was going to put the ball.