Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Loved the Kone interview. Such a charming lad - boy is this Blooms era fun right now!

• Said to a pal on the way out we thought we'd had our golden period and should have appreciated it more.

But whisper it, we might be on the cusp of a new one.

• Couldn’t make the game and just logged on. Excellent win! Has there been any salty Swann twitter posts or match reports yet??!

• "They (Wycombe) didn’t play like a team now on an unbeaten 10-game run, but then they didn’t need to. Just stay patient and wait for this defence to cough up opportunities will do the trick for most teams at this level."

A hint of bitterness in there. Marvellous.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/the-least-surprising-defeat-of-the-season-for-peterborough-united-as-regular-failings-re-surfaced-4831124

• Some of us got him at 150/1 for league top scorer before the season started...

• At 1 down I must admit I was concerned today. What a double sub that was - obviously Kone but Leahy was also great. Our squad depth is a real difference maker.

• edited October 19

Good memory. The Dr was pondering on perfect hattricks on another thread, and I found some stats and posted there.

But Wycombe having a 2nd half sub scoring 3 was one I certainly didn't remember.

• I wasn’t worried at 1 down, I was certain we’d get at least a point with our bench. I wasn’t expecting the King to destroy them in 10 minutes but boy was it glorious to watch.

We have a hell of a lot of talent in the squad and now the team might be getting to be as good as the sum of its parts. Under Ainsworth we were better than the sum of our parts and if Blooms can get us there (and I think he can) then this will be quite the season.

• Proper, proper goalscorers goals. Two quite awkward chances. The second in particular is a brilliant finnish to nod home from an almost impossible situation.

Great game from Grimmer as well. Looked really sharp and made more than one goal saving clearance at the back post.

• I believe Kone's was actually the quickest hattrick of any player in our league era, because I saw online that he beat the 11 minute CMS hattrick against Crawley.

• It's very pleasing to think of Blooms being in the middle of both! He has certainly become the connective tissue between the scrappy small squads in the L2 days to the mega-Kazakh-superpower that is going to sweep all before it.

• That and the fact (according to somebody on Twitter) that we've just spent half a million quid on a new pitch for the training ground. That's the behind the scenes 'incremental gains' that made the likes of Team Sky dominate a sport. As well as the asthma inhaler doping.

• The squad strength is unreal.

We could put this X1 together from players who didn't get on the pitch today!

George

McCarthy Taf Skura Hartidge

Pattenden Wheeler Sadlier

Hanlan Vokes Lubala

• our confidence in our passing looks sharper every game. I wonder how much of that is training on decent surfaces rather than a field? Playing out from the back is no longer setting off heart rate warnings on my smartwatch.

• A joyous interview.

https://x.com/wwfcofficial/status/1847660137869144471?t=qAnd-adyLMTHzChaNXITGQ&s=19

• I’m risking being harangued for a cost benefit analysis throughout the whole of next week by saying this, but wouldn’t it be a great moment to do a one-off like £20 adults / £5 kids for next Saturday? Just to see if it works.

• Can't see that happening, but presumably for the FA cup game the week after it'd be very doable?

Assuming the FA and York were on board?

• What a likeable bloke. I was smiling throughout watching that. All hail King Kone!

• I think it's absolutely worth trying some new promotions to get people through the door on a short term, but I reckon the administration within the club now makes that very hard to get happening. I guess the amount of people who need to sign off on that is much more than it was back in the day when you could just make any old game quid-a-kid.

• Also a HUGE fan of Posh fans after the 5-2 drubbing last season, blaming their keeper and wanting Jed Steer in, and after this one being absolutely incensed that Steer was playing

• I was going to post exactly the same thing, it's clear why he's so popular with the rest of the squad. Bez cheering him on on the commentary today was brilliant.

• When it’s pointed out about the perfect hat trick his joy is uncontained. His naivety is a just lovely. Don’t ever change our King.

• I got that bet at 250/1 thanks to an odds boost from Ladbrokes. Looking forward to trousering £2,500 in May ...

• Happy Times

• edited October 20

That was an excellent performance where we played football that surely is up there with anything from the John Gorman era. Even when we went a goal down I wasn't worried at all. My mate who I went with thought I was jinxing it by saying I couldn't see us not getting back in this, though you just knew from the strength of our play in possession in the first half we had it in us to play through Peterborough. Also the strength in character of the team shone through as our heads didn't drop and we stuck to our game plan that delivered everything but a goal in the first half.

Kone's first may have taken a deflection, but that shouldn't detract from what was a masterclass in arriving late into the box in space, outstanding control and technique to volley with his weaker foot. Everyone around me on the terrace was egging him to get in the middle of the box rather than loiter with the winger near the touchline before he strolled into the penalty where there weren't any Posh players. The vision from (edit - must have mixed that up with another move) McCleary to pick him out should be highlighted too. A fantastic team goal finished off by a piece of true individual brilliance.

• We are also very lucky to have Garath McCleary. He was absolutely outstanding yesterday.

Midfield absolutely bossed that area of the pitch and we made Peterborough look very ordinary.

I don't doubt that there will be blips this season, but let's continue getting behind this magnificent team, because we are very lucky to be witnessing this. Enjoy the moment!

• edited October 20

Burton are the last team left in the EFL to have not won a game... Why does our superb performance yesterday make me even more nervous about Tuesdays game?!

• We've played a couple of bottom teams so far and edged out narrow one goal margin wins. So we can't get too carried away.

But on the other hand, we're going really well and are in top form so Burton won't be looking forward to this at all.

• Hats off to Bloomfield and the players. I've been watching Wycombe since 95, apart from the Gorman era I'm struggling to think of a better era in terms of play that's so pleasant and rewarding.

The football is beautiful to watch, and it's not just knocking it around at the back. We can go long too it's a great mix.

Morley looks like an absolute star sitting deep controlling the game. Signing him on a permanent would be high on my to do list.

Special mention, Grimmer was fantastic on the ball and in defence yesterday.

Very exciting times.