Skip to content

Culture Corner

191011121315»

Comments

• The only opinion I can fathom that would get a reaction is that you said

"Their solo albums are way better than anything they did as a band"?

Interestingly above, I was putting Lennon / McCartney as a pair as it was essentially a beatles choice, but Harrison was for his solo work

• Ed_Ed_
    edited September 30

Heard this on Saturday evening on Radio 3 whilst heading back from running an event. It is 40mins in, unlike anything I had heard before, simply beautiful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00236ck

Best listened to with headphones, or an excellent set of speakers. For those on Apple or Spotify, artist is Hamlet Gonashvili, song is called Tsintskaro

• Like our owner he was born in Georgia, died at the height of his powers when up a tree picking apples and fell.

• Happy Slow Horses day everyone.

• edited October 4

Hey, @Manboobs - I saw this lot last night and thought they'd be up your musical street if you don't know them already. Monstrous stuff - https://moragtong.bandcamp.com/album/grieve-5

• Thank you @MindlessDrugHoover I haven’t heard them but I will be giving them a listen tomorrow. Splendid name too, brings back memories of wandering the wilds of Skyrim with only my daggers and my bow to protect me from the eldritch horrors that are found there.

How was the gig?

• Really, really loud (and I've seen Swans, Bolt Thrower and Shit & Shine). 4 songs in 45 minutes. My kind of night out. Hope you like it.

• That is right up my alley. Thanks for posting that.

• Are you into music at all, @Kadoogan ?!!

I’m sure there are plenty of Gasroomers who share your love of Grieve - if I’ve got the band name right.

I’m an 86 year old lover of the vast majority of music genres (but can’t do operas apart from the popular arias).

I’m just curious really as to what kind of satisfaction Gieve (?) and similar outfits provide. What particular aspect delivers that satisfaction, as it were.

• The band are called Morag Tong @micra - the album is called Grieve.

I love loads of different types of music, from the gentlest of folk music to the most pulverising of extreme metal but there's something particularly enjoyable about going to a gig and having your sensibilities sandblasted to oblivion. It's both hypnotic and cathartic. But I realise it's not for everyone.

• edited October 8

@MindlessDrugHoover I think you'd have enjoyed the all-dayer I went to at the weekend: A’Bear, Field Lines Cartographer, Graham Dunning & DJ Food, James Adrian Brown, James Holden, Jo Johnson, Loula Yorke, The Mistys, Nik Colk Void, Paul Cousins, Polypores, The Soundcarriers, Stone Anthem, System 7 , Twilight Sequence and Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan.

Nik Colk Void, A'Bear and James Adrian Brown were the standouts for me - none of which I was previously familiar with.

• That's a serious list of new stuff to investigate @drcongo, cheers. I know Sound Carriers, System 7 and Warrington-Runcorn NTDP but will seek out those others forthwith.

• It’s a whole new world. Wow!!

• There’s a new Public Service Broadcasting album out “ The Last Flight” exciting times .

• What Mindless said. Extreme music is, at least for me, a physical and emotional experience rather than a cognitive one. As Bessel van der Kolk https://www.besselvanderkolk.com/

said, the body keeps the score. Extreme music allows me to safely contain and move through emotion, some of which has had roots in experiences I would prefer not to have had, without necessarily needing to transform it. In some ways it is a counterpoint to the positive psychology movement, or at least the reductionist take on that movement which ends up with “Live, laugh, love” as the answer. Sometimes turning that frown upside down (and I am aware of the evidence that smiling can change one’s physiology and associated emotion) is not the answer.

For more on this and other ways in which extreme music and in particular metal can be therapeutic, take a look at https://heavymetaltherapy.co.uk/mhresearch/

And Morag Tong sounded quite promising to me. Worth a listen live I’m sure.

• Amazing post.

• Just caught up with the last episode of Slow Horses - truly fantastic

• Starting it tonight after watching four hours of utter drivel entitled Suspect (season 2). How such a talented cast managed to phone in such a pile of crap is beyond me. We never watched season 1. For which I will be eternally grateful.

• Have been watching the first series of Ludwig this week. It is a fair amount of David Mitchell hamming up his usual socially inept but confident and irascible on his own intellectual high ground shtick, but it is riddled with Beethoven throughout, it is a bit of light fun and Anna Maxwell Martin is magnificently as always.

• edited October 10

Honestly. I don't really think about why I like a particular band or music style. If I enjoy it, I listen to it. I suppose it is at least partly for similar reasons that Manboobs talked about in his response. I just like music that inspires an emotion in me, and sometimes that can come from an artist or a style you weren't expecting. An example from many years ago might be R.E.M. I knew them as that band that did 'Shiny Happy People' a song I hated (and still do, even though I know now that their tongues were firmly in their cheeks when writing it and performing the hideously cheery video). It took accidentally coming across a later song 'Drive' to open me up to more, and I came to love most of their output.

I tend to listen to stuff at the heavier end of the scale, but happy to try most things. I range from Sigur Ros to Napalm Death. A few examples of stuff I have listened to from the last couple of weeks include Hell Is For Heroes, Paradise Lost, Rammstein, Sabaton, True Widow, Her Name Is Calla, Mazzy Star, Madder Rose, Kyuss, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Cathedral. Mostly stuff I have owned for ages. Finding new artists is something that doesn't tend to happen that often these days, which is why it is nice to come across this recommendation for Morag Tong.

Going to see Sepultura next month, a metal band from Brazil that have been around for about 40 years. They are on their farewell tour. Will be about the 5th or 6th time I have seen them.

• Enjoy Sepultura. Great band and Roots was a ground breaking album.

• I found final shot of Slow Horses quite moving. Even tho i was disappointed were not going to roll straight into the new season.