Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Crawley

Comments

• That was an interesting first 45, which fairly flew by. A goal lead is the absolute minimum we should have for dominating the game as much as we have. Crawley have mistakes in them though they look capable of punishing any clangers we drop. If we get the opportunity to at the start of the second half, we need to go for the jugular and get that second goal early to really stamp our authority on this one.

• I’m still very confident. Early goal after the restart and our bench should close this out with room to spare.

• Decent 45, no more no less. We will need that 2nd goal. Whilst we've had most of the play Crawley have looked threatening on occasions and were unfortunate with the effort off the bar.

They're clearly adept in possession, so not one where we want to be hanging on in the last 10-15 and sitting back on a 1 goal lead.

• Forgive my technical ignorance but is blanking out the same as freeze frame? If so, I’ve been afflicted with it too. I always wonder if that means I risk whooping and hollering two or three minutes later than fans at the match (and indeed, more relevantly on here, later than fellow Gasroomers with better reception).

Wheels has obviously been reading the Gasroom score predictions - he predicted 4-1 before the game, same as me.

• Finding the game quite humorous whilst things are going our way but we really need to see this off. It’s the worst opposition we’ve had all season by some distance. Our performance is competent but not exemplary.

• Kone had definitely improved a lot with his back to goal from last season.

• Stats say it's even possession. Are we dominating even with that?

• Would be very frustrating to end up with a draw from this, can see it happening at the moment

• Why on earth do we lower our selves when up against poor teams. Should be going for the jugular before HT

• edited October 5

Why don't these pesky teams get out of the way

• Josh is immense, nobody else I'd rather have in there in this situation

• This lot seem to have been begging for a red card since early on

• Absolute snooze fest this half. And some of the worst set pieces ever delivered. Still, a win’s a win and Crawley have the basis of a half decent side.

• Bye bye '2 goals per game' Hello 'The march to the playoffs at Wembley'.

• Crawley were as expected - not exactly Rochdale, but a little too lightweight and twinkle toes (apart from when they were fouling us). I could see them staying up, but it is probably a 6 or 7 team mini-league they will be in.

• Already forgotten most of that, but games like that the 3 points are what counts. Up to 5th having negotiated a lot of tough fixtures.

• We looked pretty comfortable for most of that, but it still involved them hitting the bar and drawing a good save from Ravs.

A bit annoying to lose the two goals record, as there was nothing wrong with the corner goal that I could see (any dissenters?) and Leahy missed a golden chance.

• We haven't quite learnt how to boot a poor team yet but we're winning, we're up to 5th and looking very rosy

• Yep, can't believe that of all the games this is the one where we don't score twice!

• A win, 3 important points and that’s about all you can say about the game.

• Forgot the clean sheet.

• We deserved the win but in true Wycombe fashion we gave them the chance to get something out of the game.

Still up to 5th people the air tastes pretty good up here.

• Clean sheet, 3 points and 5th in the league.

• Pleased with the result. Pleased with some chunks of play, particularly those in the first half. Second half was a frustrating watch. Weak opposition which we just about beat. Ecstatic to be in 5th despite a tough run of games.

• edited October 5

That was a totally unrecognisable Crawley team and performance from the one I and no doubt a good many others were very impressed with in last year’s League 2 playoffs. This was a disjointed, overly physical outfit by comparison (6 yellow cards to our one - from that unseemly bout of wrestling in added time) and I’m amazed that they didn’t receive at least one red.

It wasn’t pretty but when all’s said and done a clean sheet, three lovely points, fifth place in a highly competitive League and no banana skin, who’s counting.

• I thought everyone had a pretty decent game but it was harder than it should have been. The 'old' guard Butcher, Scowen, Grimmer and McLeary were impressive today, Low again very classy. I was a bit alarmed by some of Taylor's distribution but his defending was good. Franco deserved the clean sheet making two eecent saves when he had nothing to do for most of the game. Kone plows the familiar Wycombe lone forward getting wrestled furrow very well and deserved the applause when he came off. Not the most spectacular goal but pleased for Fred. 3CR said he showed very little, but it looked to me like he was being fouled every time he got the ball. Still don't like the messing about at the back though. As our appalling start last year gave rise to many calls for MB's head...can I praise this great start for the management...must be the best start we've had for a few years. (Over to the stattos)

• Happy to get away with three points today. But the performance was a long way short of where we have been recently.

How much of that I wonder was due to Morley missing out (through illness?).

Is he this season’s Potts and if he were to get injured would we be in a similar position to where we were last year?

We do have startlingly more options going forwards, so I wouldn’t expect anything like the cataclysmic loss of form we suffered after Stevenage last year, but it does make me think that the way MB wants us to play is very dependent on a single midfield ‘playmaker’. Take that out of the equation and, judging by today, we look pretty ordinary.

• I don’t think our seemingly below par performance had much if anything to do with Morley’s absence (unwell apparently). Crawley, unrecognisable from the slick passing team that did so well in last season’s League Two playoffs, simply knocked us off our game with the overly physical approach that earned them six yellow cards. At least one red would have been shown too if the referee hadn’t overindulged at times in “letting the game flow”.

• The ref was equally poor today and the only interesting thing about him was his silly bouffant and his name Neil Hair.