Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• Absolutely. 100%. His touches and back-heels in tight situations are quite remarkable. One of the standout moments was that goalmouth melee in the first half when he and two other Wycombe players surrounded a Cambridge player who was on the deck and seemed very close to clutching the ball.

Clever back-heels in tight situations, especially in front of goal, seem to be coming back into vogue. It’s good to see.

There were several candidates for MOTM today, including Aaron Morley who looks every bit the kind of midfield general we have been missing since the departure of Lewis Wing (now wearing the captain’s armband for Reading). Morley’s composure on the ball and his ability to pick a telling pass are second to none.

• I've gone back 20+ years and can't find any evidence of us scoring 2 or more in each of the first 6 games of a season.

Any statto's care to dig deeper?

• Must say I am surprised at the criticism of Grimmer. Played well in first half and was key to our better performance in the second and instrumental in the second goal.

• The last time we scored two or more goals in our opening half-a-dozen league matches was in the 1970/71 season.

WALTHAMSTOW AVENUE (H) W3-2

Wealdstone (A) W6-1

Maidstone United  (A) W4-1

CORINTHIAN CASUALS (H) W3-0

SUTTON UNITED (H) W4-0

Hitchin Town (A) W2-1

Oh and we finished the season as Champions.

• Kone was excellent and had to play wearing Cambridge defender for most of his game.

• Just seen the OG. A thing of beauty wasn't it? And an illustration of the foolishness of 'playing out from the keeper' at this level.

• Absolutely right. I just wonder what the club are doing proactively to encourage more fans. Clearly the owners have supported Bloomfield in the recruitment of players, moved to a greatly improved training facility but there seems little or no activity to get people through the door to generate more revenue . It would be good to hear from Dan Rice on what they are doing.

• The bottom line is you can’t make people do things they don’t want to do. As long as locals, specially youngsters, are aware of WWFC the crowds will slowly grow with success on the pitch and big nights like this Tuesday.

It’s up to the club to build that awareness around schools and youth football and up to Blooms and the boys to continue their progress on the pitch.

Promotion would probably result in a season of near sell outs. Retaining that audience will be the ultimate test.

• Crowds will only increase slightly with success and the odd big game, the ground location is why many just can’t be bothered .

• It will be interesting to see at the end of the season how all club's attendances, particularly in League one have fared against last seasons figures. I am convinced the new Sky deal will have had a significant effect, particularly during the winter months.

• Just watched Bloomfield’s post match interview. How can you come up with the statement that “ our data tells us they should be half way up the league”. What.!!!They are bottom of the league because they have drawn 1 and lost the rest. Thats the real data.

• 100% i’m an hour north if it’s on sky I won’t travel in particular evening games.

• I think me meant that in a way that meant he wasn't taking them lightly. Cambridge are a lot like us when we were dodging and diving under Ainsworth, though with an unsubtle dollop of Westley thuggishness. Their centre back Digby reminded me of Dave Winfield's pitiful attempts at wrestling Jamie Vardy in that ill-fated FA Cup defeat to Fleetwood.

• I know but my point is that people who are finding times hard have a decision to make when buying a season ticket and with a number of our games being shown live by Sky (not the 3pm games), those people have chosen to opt out of buying a season ticket.

I have talked to quite a few who I know as long time Wycombe fans and they have confirmed that the Sky+ deal tipped the balance for them.

I am not saying Sky+ is a good or bad thing as I am fortunate enough to be able to have both a season ticket and Sky but it undoubtedly comes into the equation for some people.

• Agree with all of this, signs of real progression today. They kept going and stayed patient until we got the break in the box that we needed, then the finish was clinical.

• Morley was superb yesterday and the through ball for McCleary’s goal was brilliant. We played some lovely football and apart from one lapse to allow their forward to turn for their goal, we controlled the whole game.

Things are coming together nicely, yes we will have some players getting injured and some results will go against us but we are now seeing the beginnings of a real good team and we will only get stronger.

• I think Dan Harvie is a great addition.

King Kone continues to impress.

Very difficult to pick one POTM performance which is great.

And just when I thought the weekend couldn't get any better, great fight last night, we've got pictures of The Doctor and Big Phil too.

• edited September 22

Textbook charm offensive I expect.

Gareth was the master of it.

Every single opponent had a manager who was doing a great job, or had done a great job recently.

He also almost entirely avoided any bitter rivalries despite facing some absolute user scumbags like Barton and Evans.

I can only remember him losing it once, at Derek Adams.

• All league cup games being live this season is a real 5050 for me.

I'd have not thought twice about going to the Villa game in previous seasons but being on sky v going is now a real 5050 for me.

• Exactly the same here.

Would normally go to every home cup game, but with work finishing late on Tues and knowing it’ll be a pain to get parked, it may be easier to save £29 and watch it on TV.

Will probably end up going but will be a late call.

• Just watched @bluntphil’s post match interview with Cam Humphreys. How bright, confident and articulate is that lad. How often are we able to say that about our young signings. It’s so important.

• I think an argument can be made that “losing it at Derek Adams” was critical in GA’s development as a manager.

Some of our most tactically adept performances were against Adams’ teams.

• I wonder, with the apparent wealth of our new owner, whether it actually matters to them if 3000 or 6000 turn up to watch us?

In the past, budgets were obviously driven by attendances but now with the Sky blood-money and an owner who probably ‘earns’ more interest in a day than we take in subscriptions/season tickets.

Clearly a full Adams Park looks better (and feels better to us supporters) but we have to accept we are (currently) of limited actual value to the financial performance of our club - and we aren’t exactly unique in that.

i do hope (and to be fair i usually am) that I’m wrong with that thought.

• If he makes 4% a year on his current wealth then he makes more in a day than every league game at AP being sold out at £25/ticket for the entire season.

Beer and burgers could push it to a day and a half.

• I would just like underline the point about how dreadful the ref was yesterday. I am all for “letting the game flow/not blowing for everything”. I get that, but Digby, (the number 4), literally bear hugged Kone every time, later on it was Ben and from corners it was Taylor. My friend and I made a point of intensely watching him after the first few minutes. Surely the referee could have had a quiet word as it got to the point that he knew he was going to get away with it so then interlocked his fingers around the opponents chest. I don’t get that close to my wife! 😡🤨

• It did for me as well this season. Had been a season ticket holder for well over 25 consecutive years.