Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• That was one of those games where the win puts everything else into perspective.

I think Cambridge deserve a lot of credit as they clearly had a game plan and (helped by a lenient referee - who on the whole did a decent job in my view) stuck to it pretty well.

We worked really hard to try and break them down and fortunately succeeded.

Some very good performances out there and for most of the game we looked in as much control as I can ever recall seeing us (well for a while anyway).

• Our owner might think this season is too soon for the playoffs.

• They paid a fee for another keeper. That doesn't scream consolidation.

• A couple of other thoughts.

1) Bolton are brave handing us Sadlier and Morley

2) The Cambridge lads giving it large to the terrace after their equaliser for no reason must feel a bit daft. They should be celebrating with their team mates. They’re bottom of the table.

3) Humphreys is much better than Potts.

4) Taylor is much better than Forino.

5) We’ve only lost to the current top two. In one of those games we deserved at least a point.

• I did wonder on number 2, as it seemed inexplicable, but I believe they were giving it some to the lone camera man in that position.

• They also dished out plenty to the terrace too for no reason at all haha

• I think we're playing good attacking football which comes with risk when a pass goes astray. Don't get the Grimmer stuff. He played well today. Midfield excellent Low and Taylor solid, some good passing and movement. Everything that was once being demanded. I know these are bottom and got a goal but Bloomball is working for me so far.

• Good point but I believe the fact that there are a number of our games on that platform has made the difference when people have a decision to buy a season ticket or not. I know a number of regulars from the last 20 years or so who have now decided to opt out of buying a season ticket.

• edited September 21

Think the bigger impact will be two full priced games in 3 days, and those who can afford only one picking the Villa game.

• Clearly Grimmer isn't as technically proficient as some of the other players in the starting XI, but just because he isn't spraying passes around doesn't mean he's having a bad game. His other attributes such as constantly offering an overlapping option for McCleary and always putting in a robust challenge (which created the 2nd goal) are also vital for the team. Not knocking Harvie at all, as he appears to be much more comfortable in possession and carrying the ball forwards, but I don't I saw him offer Sadlier much support all game. That often lead to Sadlier being isolated and having to chase loose balls over the top and create something by himself.

As strong as our squad is on paper, we did feel a bit light on the bench today in the 2nd half with 2 CBs and 2 holding/box-to-box CMs after the 1st half sub, leaving just Lubala as a game changing option. Hopefully Fred and Wheeler are match fit sooner rather than later.

Presume Udoh was taken of as a concussion precaution after getting the ball booted onto the back of his head in the 2nd minute rather than an actual injury?

• Starting to get quite excited about what this team could do.

Morley MOTM today. I can't recall a mistake and he picked some fantastic passes that broke the game line and got us into dangerous positions.

We seem to have some good, rehearsed patterns to play through now. Josh playing further forward is starting to make more sense as well. He's got such running power that he's actually able to offer a pretty good option running from midfield to get beyond Kone and stretch the game. And he's much less comfortable playing as the pivot man receiving the ball facing our goal than Morley, so it seems logical to move him up the pitch and let someone else pull the strings when we're seeing so much possession. Likewise, while we've not seen it so much in the last two games, his ability to pinch the ball is so useful to have in their half when we press. We'll get goals from him turning over the ball inside the opposition third.

Good to see that we're willing to mix things up as well. Against Northampton, and again today, we were happy to pass through the lines, but also lift balls over the defence to get in behind when the moment was right. When you're able to work attacking positions by moving it side to side onto either flank, as well as going behind the defenders and making them run back towards their own goal, you're able to ask different questions of their defence and move them into positions they find awkward.

Pretty confident that our record against bottom half sides this season is going to be really strong. It will be interesting to see how we do against better sides that want to have more of the ball and where we might need to play on the counter more often. Sometimes I think we're a bit reluctant to play fast from the back when there's a chance to counter.

The team looks nicely balanced and all pulling into he same direction. Loved Jack getting stuck into the number 45 after a relatively minor spat with Low. The message that sends out is massive I think. 

• Absolute pleasure to meet @Shev @bluntphil and @drcongo in the bar after the game too!

• Dan Udoh went off with a concussion, reported in BFP from the post-match press conference.

• Do you really think that about Taylor? It's very early days but I certainly wouldn't agree based on today's performance. Far too easily turned for their goal and saved by the offside flag when he was pulling the number 9's shirt off his back because he'd let him get goal side

• Do you have to automatically miss the next game if you are taken off with concussion?

• I think it’s seven days out, so misses Villa and Bristol Rovers.

• It says a lot about the quality of our squad when:

• During Ainsworth's reign, McCarthy was seen as a bit of a "coup" when we got him back. He was one of our best players without a doubt. McCarthy is now our 3rd choice right back.
    • Grimmer was one of our best/most consistent performers last season. Most people (on here at least) now deem him "not good enough" 6 games into the new season.

I'm quite happy with Grimmer defensively. I agree that he could offer more going forward, but last season (and beyond) I literally don't remember him EVER making a mistake that cost us. We have options in this squad now and that will count later on in the season. When Fred is fit, we could play a back 3 consisting of any of Taylor, Taff, Low, Grimmer, McCarthy, Hartridge, Skura - with wingbacks Harvie and Fred. There are not many better defenses in the division (on paper).

I think MB sees Morley as a deep lying playmaker - probably better at picking a pass that Scowen, and if we insist on playing this style, it is CRUCIAL that you have someone like that in that position. I'm all for it. Trust the process. Peterborough used to concede goals but the answer to it is....SCORE MORE! Exciting stuff!

• And just a word about King Kone...closely marked by one and sometimes two, getting knocked about and still carrying out the holding and playing people in job post Bayo. He may not score 20 this season but he's always involved. Top notch.

• Shock result of the day in our league:-

Huddersfield 1 - 3 Northampton

• Just got back, nice win, decent performance, only criticism is that Rav slows the game down too much. A few times we had Players up front wanting a quick ball.

• Featuring a brilliant own goal and a ln awful missed call for the ref for Northampton’s third.