Skip to content

Villa cup game

Comments

• Yes Alan, I've been to one or two away games

• Ps if you believe there is no "real desire" to go then why bother moaning about it? Just be pleased with the crowds we've got

• For some reason you are deliberately missing the point. A number of posters have discussed (not moaned about) why we have been unable to increase our crowds and access to Adams Park was part of that debate. I am not ‘pleased with the crowds we’ve got’ because I want to see the club progress and increased attendances improve revenue, create a better atmosphere and are a very important part of our future. Myself and other posters frustrated that fans of so many other clubs who experience the very same problems regarding access etc still turn up to support their team in greater numbers than we see at Wycombe.

• Should add access in itself is a nuanced issue. I paid £10 to park at the Madjeski and it took just as long, if not longer, to get out of there than it does to walk down to CEF Electrical. Difference being I was right next to the ground at Reading and it’s a purpose built stadium designed to cater for bigger crowds. That sort of space isn’t available/wasn’t provisioned at Adams Park and this, combined with a lack of public transport/easy access options, probably plays a part in a bigger issue of attracting larger crowds. As said, it didn’t stop 5.5-6k coming regularly in the 90s/early 2000s.

• edited September 6

Even at the elite level parking is a problem. Old Trafford involves walking for miles after handing over cash to someone you hope will not strip your car. Villa Park a joyous walk through declining industrial areas.

The Etiad must be an exception as they had a blank piece of paper.

So yes it is a question of build it and they will come. If we achieved 6-7k in the early 90s that has to be our target. And kids love winners.

I genuinely believe our big chance was the championship season. That could have been the game changer. F Covid again.

• Old Trafford and the Etihad are both incredibly easy to access via public transport though. Tram stops 10 minutes from old Trafford and even closer for Etihad and even more regular service on match days. I can’t speak for Villa Park though

• edited September 6

Access is one of many issues attendances may have lowered over 20 years. Public transport is woeful and so more fans drive now than back then. I’ve been to stadiums all over the country at all levels and good public transport helps clear fans better than anything. Waiting nearly an hour just to get out of Hillbottom Road is enough to prevent new fans with kids from returning

Price is an issue for some. Cost to take a family and get a drink and food tallies up.

should….or when(fingers crossed) we get into the championship attendances will naturally increase.

• The cost of tickets was significantly lower then. Terrace was £12-14 I would think and FA was less than £20.

i suspect if the prices were a lot lower it would see some increase in attendances.

also, most of the industrial estate was free for parking in those days.

food was cheaper, especially in the Vere.

essentially, you could come to football, eat, park and have a drink for about £25. It’s treble that now.

• To be fair to Villa Park, there is a station (Aston) that has trains every few minutes to different parts of the Midlands so that is a good way to escape after a game there

• Price for me not accessibility, that and lack of visibility in town and at schools.

Ticket £28

Beer £6 a pint

Food £10

It can be really expensive especially if bringing kids along.

Lower the ST and on thedaypricing.

Promote at schools and do some quid a kid days

Oh and change the nets to light and dark blue checks.

• edited September 7

Baffled by your comments on Old Trafford.

There's an absolutely huge carpark right outside. A huge cricket ground carpark down the road. Numerous businesses offering parking close by.

Plus a superb tram system where you can park easily at numerous stations or towns on route.

I doubt you could ask for a better set up really.

• You need to factor in inflation. £100 in 2000 is now equivalent to £181.86.

• I’ve parked at the ground before and found it a nightmare to get away. So like many I park away and walk. It’s a simple logistics game. Lots of people trying to leave a place at once on a road system not designed for that. Never done the tram as quite simply it doesn’t go where I want to.

I’m not complaining. Simply pointing out that people think that a game can finish at 5 and they will be whizzing down an A road by 5:15. Not at Wycombe, Wembley, West Ham or anywhere that lots of people congregate

• Haha, problem with that is I wouldn't get away quickly from the game.

I almost put myself off going writing that last post. We've got Barnsley away the week after which we'll be going to.

One other issue is I manage my daughters team and we train on a Tuesday night, so would have to sort that out. Our league starts next Saturday aswell 12 o'clock kick offs, be some mash dashes to games after that.

• edited September 7

Ticket details.

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2024/september/03/ticket-details-aston-villa-240924/

Edit - sorry, just seen this as a new post on Twitter, but just realised this was released four days ago.

• edited September 7

Looks expensive on the page laid out like that doesn't it.

But then I suppose those are league prices, but that shows how much of an ask it is to get non die hards along!

• Makes you realise our admission prices for league fixtures are at least 10% overpriced. And making people pay for their season-ticket car park space (£10) is rather petty & does nothing to reward diehard fans.

• Are the 1887 still going? They seem to have gone very quiet.

• For the casual supporter the access is an issue but not exclusive to Wycombe.

Our biggest issue to me is the huge cost to attend games now, coupled with the poor quality football on show most weeks under Ainsworth. It may have been our most successful period in terms of league placing but as a spectacle to sell to the casual supporter it was one of our most sustained periods of going backwards.

In this successful Ainsworth period we have not won anything and had no real sustained fairytale moments. Oxford at Wembley was a missed opportunity as was our unsuccessful Championship season.

On the cost issue we are all but the most expensive League One side for tickets at cost entry points for seating or standing and our merchandise and food costs are also at the very top.

This is obviously a guess but our average attendance this season will be sub 4500 and our home crowd numbers I suspect will be sub 3700. Sky obviously adding to our losses.

• Wycombe is made up of many ethnic communities and they are not represented in the people who attend the matches. What are the club doing in the local community to engage and encourage within these groups on a consistent basis not a one off event? Unless I’m missing something our visibility in the town , schools and local community is poor. I know access and price are major factors in our dwindling crowds but let’s at least tell people what we are all about. Flexible pricing who also help!!

• edited September 8

Not really won anything?

Did you not consider promotion (x2) winning anything?

There was a great feeling around the place for long periods of the Ainsworth run. Even when he left we were on a great run with confidence sky high.

If we even hit 1/4 of the highs from that period in the next 2 years we'll have done well

• Interesting to see the Villa away ticket qualification scheme, 10 points awarded for every away game attended. As well as 1848 in the away end, they also have 160 tickets in "Block C".

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/september/07/Wycombe-Wanderers-ticket-details/

• That’s not in addition, it’s in the away section.

The Rows and Seat numbers only tally with the away seating

• edited September 8

• They're only worried about flags... nothing else ever gets mentioned

• edited September 8

Just seen the pricing for the Villa game. That’s steep. Will probably move to the terrace for the match as £51 for me and my son in Frank Adams is a bit of a joke for a cup game.

Had a season ticket for 25 years and gone home & away for a lot of that time. I cannot remember us charging same price for Cup games as league games but perhaps I’m wrong. I know the FA set the prices for FA Cup.

It’s on Sky as well, which isn’t helpful, as I could stay in and watch it. I know I will buy tickets in the end because I always have but it will be really interesting to see the size of the crowd.

• Prices are steep, its on TV, it should be packed down there, but it won't be. About 5k I reckon

• I only ever miss home games in the LDV / Check your Bristol pizza cup.

But £29 is a stretch isn't it.

People say it's the same as for league games, but it isn't when you're a season ticket holder for pro rata value is it?