Skip to content

Reading offer Bearwood training ground to Wycombe

Comments

• This is what you’re dealing with Rob,

take my advice, take the money ML gave for us and buy yourself a decent set of golf clubs, trust me not all football supporters are the same.

We had a long history of making do on scant resources and gradually working our way up from non league and when someone came along and paid the wages we were rightfully thankful but Reading supporters are going to be different, far more petulant and self absorbed

• https://x.com/ReadingFC/status/1829625552065482764

Reading Football Club would like to provide an update on the proposed takeover of the club.

Over several months the owner and potential purchaser, alongside the EFL, have been working extensively on ensuring the completion of the deal – with the prospective owner cleared by the governing body to take over the club.

All parties had hoped to have the takeover completed ahead of the transfer window deadline this evening, however the complexities of the deal have prevented this from happening.

The takeover has involved the transfer of multiple properties, both physical and intellectual. In addition to these assets in question, the stakeholders involved are located across 14 time zones worldwide, with multiple local laws and legislation needing to be abided by.

In regards to potential signings this window, discussions remain ongoing, with staff members at the club working tirelessly to strengthen the playing squad before this evening’s 11pm deadline.

https://x.com/ReadingFC/status/1829628185320755699

Chem Campbell Signs on a short term deal from Wolves

• “ In addition to these assets in question, the stakeholders involved are located across 14 time zones worldwide, with multiple local laws and legislation needing to be abided by.”

Their very own Worldwide Phenomenon.

• Chem Campbell on loan! Rob really is making them pay for dissing his nephew.

• FFS hasn't this nonsense been completed yet, it is up there with the shambolic non-sale of Everton.

• All material for the forthcoming docudrama: "Bedsheets and Couhigs".

• They won again today, though - I have to say Selles has done a sterling job with the crappy hand he has been dealt.

• edited August 31

According to one tweet I just read, someone spoke to Rob today at the ground Hotel and he’s said he was ready to walk away from deal a week or so ago as he is 75 and doesn’t want to put up with that level of “shit”.

I mean, that was the tune he was singing when he decided to sell up with us I guess.

https://x.com/shamangriff/status/1829963059080593421?s=46&t=pJ2E-p39qNsXT59eq4PJJQ

• Forget bedsheets, they'll be setting mattresses on fire if this falls through.

• Wetting them more like.

• Whilst I have some sympathy with Rob having to deal with a desperate and intense fan base, HE made the decision to go in on this and try to pull off one more big deal. Despite saying he’d done his bit within the crazy world of English football.

Reading fans aren’t going to settle for a beer tent in the car park and some pyrotechnics for the youngsters. He continually underestimates the expectations and feelings - fair or unfair - of the paying public. And in this case he’s probably bitten off more than he can chew.

• We get that he's there as a troubleshooter / potential cover for other investors and ultimately to make a few quid himself and it's difficult to expect much patience in football fans who have been living this, or any fans these days, but to be fair to him literally everyone else who has looked in to a takeover has walked away.

Huge stakes for them if he can't fix them, and huge potential upside if he manages to see off the current owner and turn them into an outfit that is even just a bit clearer so a potential investor or donor could see them as a realistic opportunity and going concern.

This gets more complicated by the minute as they work out not only what is owned and owed but the patchwork of agreements, regulations and shadow companies involved.

It was never going to be easy or quick and anyone who thought that it would be sorted in a few days and the chequebook would open was deluded.

The figures involved, the frankly odd and dodgy owner they have now, years of deficits and the level that their fans expect means this can only be fixed by lawyers and time, or a huge amount of money that would likely get far better and more reliable returns elsewhere.

• Where's the other Couhig hanger on, Kevin (was it?) in all of this?

Is he still advising our fans on how to act or has he cleared off to Reading too?

• Rob’s belief in his own ability to make the deal then leverage the deal is both a strength and a weakness. Can’t fault the ‘can do’ mentality but can look naive when faced with irrational fans and indeed the current owner of The Ding-a-Lings.

Call me cynical but I just can’t see the sale coming off given the interested parties involved.

• Unbelievably he was the most annoying of the lot, And nothing even have anything to do with him !

• edited September 1

Was Kevin his brother or something? I seemed to fly under my radar the majority of the time of just sticking up for his brother when criticism was flying around. Which I kinda understood a bit. He was bias, he was always going to stick up for a family member.

Thinking about things with Rob again though, and the point he makes about being 75 is a good one. As morbid as it sounds, the average life expectancy in the US is 76 vs 80 in the UK. And even if he lasts much longer than that, he really is in the twilight of life.

If I were a Reading fan and in fact as a Wycombe fan, I probably should/would be taking this more into account than perhaps people are. Reading ownership under Rob really should be seen as a short term transitional one, rather than a longer term one. Whatever the details.

They really should be asking/finding out who’s in this with him as they are likely the long term owners and no one seems to know who they are, or ask that question.

• Worth saying that life expectancy for a 75yo man in New York at least is another 10 years. I imagin similar in south and will be longer for someone affluent than someone less so.

His life his choice what to do with it. He did a decent job at WW leaving it in a better place than when he started. What he does afterwards really isn’t our business.

• Wealthy Americans have a life expectancy of 87. According to the last 5 minutes I've spent on Google.

• That's probably skewed upwards by the tech bros with blood boys.

• That might be the case. But the last 10 years of one’s life could be similar to the first 10.

or the very least, the “wtf am I doing with the last 10 summers of my life stressing when I could be enjoying it with family” could well start to be a major factor.

• This year my wife went 'biohacker' and spent quite a lot of money getting DNA analysis and stuff at a private surgery. They recommended she take supplements and go to the gym. That was money well spent.....

No need for me to have DNA analysis as it's 100% WWFC, obviously.

• If I had ten years left, I would not spend a minute of it in Reading.

• Can't say I blame you! The only time I'll go to Reading is from the M4 to the SCL and back to to the M4.