Skip to content

Match day thread: Birmingham

Comments

• Harvie was signed as he was arguably the best left back in the lower divisions over a consistent period of time. As others have said it takes time for players to gel.

Max Stryjek was dropped after a succession of poor performances culminating in his red card at Stevenage along with question marks over his attitude. The two are not comparable.

• I was hoping that the money Birmingham had spent wouldn’t see such a big divide between the two teams but the reality was there is a large chasm.

They completely switched off after their third which gave us a great end to the game and some hope.

Even though we scored twice in each of the first two games, I suspect we are lacking a creative midfielder in the long run.

As others have said, Scowen should play as the DM with Butcher alongside. I think I’d rather a second striker than Leahy in the 10 role. I’d like to see Vokes and Kone or Udoh.

I like Leahy versatility and he’s great for doing a cover job whilst a starter is injured but I am not convinced he should be starting in the 10 role or at left back. He slows the game down too much and is not creative enough. Very happy if he proves me wrong over the coming weeks!

Butcher, Leahy, Scowen are a great midfield against superior opposition when you know you won’t see much of the ball and you’re trying to sneak a 1-0 smash and grab. Not convinced they are the key to us going up or really unlocking defences.

We definitely need another centre back. I think Harvie showed glimpses second half of the player he can be. He’s had a poor start but so have many others when joining us and then they’ve been magnificent.

Birmingham fans were disappointing throughout the game and from what I’ve heard around the ground/Hillbottom Road as well. The whole of their end repeatedly chanting Wanky Wanderers, wankers etc, etc was unnecessary and thought reflected really badly on them. It was like going back 20 years in time but perhaps the recent riots have inspired these numbskulls to voice themselves again.

• I think there was plenty of space for improvement in the Wycombe performance yesterday. We only started passing it accurately in the second half, before that we could barely get out without a long ball aimed at McCleary (who wasn't up for those). If the whole team had been more energetic to the ball we'd have seen a different game - but Birmingham made it hard for our players.

I liked the 424 / 4231 we played towards the end- but it needs more wing options to be played a lot. McCleary on his day is amazing but yesterday wasn't one of those. It was good to see Bartolo given a chance- he did one decent bit of play but also lost it cheaply on other occasions.

On a positive note we didn't play amazingly but were still in the game against the league favourites. Great to see Vokes coming on with plenty of drive- chasing balls down he's clearly working to get his place back. Scowen could have hit the net with that last chance and we'd have been buzzing.

• Harvie has not started brilliantly, and was caught out time after time yesterday. Hopefully it's a case of taking time to fit in, although a left back being able to track a winger's run should be a given.

Bakinson showed flashes when he came on, at least trying to pick a good pass - it's interesting Blooms didn't start him.

I'm no fan of Scowen in the 10 role, and Leahy seemed a bit leggy yesterday. In an ideal world, we'd pick up a creative attacking midfielder, who can help drive us forward.

Sadlier is as mercurial as ever, squandering great chances, yet coming away with 2 great assists. Go figure.

• Thoughts on yesterday having slept on it and having watched the highlights.

Bishop looks to have found his level and will be a decent signing as he gets more experience.

We are much stronger with Taf in the back 4 but his injury record is a real concern plus Low is already wracking up the minutes - Scura and Hartridge on Tuesday hopefully. Time to see what Scura can do.

Harvie needs to focus and quickly. Seems to be making to many wrong decisions. However I think he is a decent player

I would love to see Sadlier swap wings. He is clearly very weak on his left foot. Despite the the first goal yesterday his weakness on his left foot has potentially cost us 2 goals this season

Play Scowen in his best position preferably with Butcher beside him. I’m not sure why Butcher was replaced so early? Bakinson and Leahy got caught way out of position for I think it was the third goal.

Udoh looks like he isn’t as physical as Kone Or Vokes and would be better playing with 2 up top.

Overall a good effort against a very good side. I came away disappointed but entertained. The Lager wasn’t bad IMO. Just need to get some cover for Taf, sort out the no. 10 position (Taylor or Lubala) or maybe as already mentioned try 442.

COYB

• edited August 18

Having thought some more about our recent performances...

Bishop will grow into a decent keeper

Defensively we look shaky but that will improve as players get more familiar with each other, but we do need either Skura to step up or another CB; as for Harvie somewhere inside him is a decent LB/LWB struggling to get out & Leahy can always play very competently in that position.

Midfield looks better when Butcher is the more defensive of the deeper midfielders & Scowen plays a more box to box role. I am still in two minds on both Bakinson (similar thoughts to Harvie) & Leahy (not a No10 - slows stuff down too much). I do think the former will improve as he gets fitter & used to the players around him, the latter needs to either play deeper & or wider in the midfield to be effective. I do think we need a Potts style creative midfielder, perhaps Bakinson will become that as he has shown glimpses of it, if not then we need someone soon.

Up front they all look decent & the hard choice is how to get the best out of what we have. Kone & Sadlier are playing themselves into first name on the team sheet territory. Vokes has morphed into a Welsh version of an Akinfenwah impact sub & that is probably the best use of him. Bartolo has shown flashes but needs to be stronger in the tackle & more consistent but for now is good cover for GMac. Udoh looks best played alongside Kone, but that demands a different formation from what we have become used to.

Formation wise we have to be comfortable with a couple of tactical styles not just 4-3-3. Perhaps 4-4-2 as it allows both Kone & Udoh to play, or perhaps 5-3-2 with the width provided by the wing backs (roles both Pattenden & Harvie look better at).

Overall I think we are in a good place & just need that little rub of the green to see more of those chances we are creating turn into goals, I would be genuinely surprised if we do not finish at least 1-2 places higher than last season.

• The Scowen experiment definitely needs to stop.

• I feel frustrated rather than annoyed after the first two games, we haven't played great, but could've easily come away with something from both games, against a team who'll likely be top 3 all season, and another who could easily be top 10. A few of the players, especially new ones have had a slow start, but as mentioned, it's worth remembering Lonwijk, I thought he was useless after his first 2 games... what did I know !! Think if we can we need to be playing 2 up front somehow.

On another note... who's bright idea was it to shut the beer tent after the game !! Lovely summers evening, plenty of people stayed after for a drink.... yeah let's make them all cram inside where you're not even allowed to open a door for some fresh air !

• Shouldn’t paint them all with the same brush, but the Birmingham City fans I bumped into were all morally bankrupt. Chalk and cheese when comparing with Wrexham’s fans who were a delight.

• It was great to see Sadlier getting first time crosses in which resulted in two goals.

Whilst his multiple cutbacks look good, they rarely produce goals. Mainly because those in the box have already made a run and now have to start again or are only able to do a standing jump.

It’s one area of his game I’d really like to see focus on. Get it in first time as much as possible. Defenders will be less organised and attackers can run onto the cross. The evidence is there from yesterday.

• Couple of thoughts on Harvie, let's not write him off , he needs 5-10 games to see how it all fits together, modern fullbacks are often basically wingers with covering from midfielders, I'm not sure we know what we are trying to achieve yet and how committed we are to being on the front foot.

On the right side Grimmer looks great some days and average others, possibly better as a 3rd CB, JMac seems below Pattenden at the moment but not sure either of them will ever be a first choice fullback again.

• I posted early on the thread about my experience with them. Didn’t get any better on the way out. I did not feel safe wearing that Pride shirt. As some said above, the recent riots may have shifted the Overton window again. Further evidence appearing in social media posts from people I know.

Every club has its minority of supporters who hold unpleasant views and a smaller minority willing to express them in public. Birmingham’s minority seemed a lot bigger than Wrexham’s - which from what I saw weren’t there at that match.

Will Birmingham be paying us for the seat damage.

• Mass chanting of 'wankers' directed at the family stand pretty much summed them up.

Forever in Villa's shadow.

• As for the football, I also want to see Josh in the DM role. Sadliwr has to start every game he can, Joe and Taff as well - I admit the latter may not be many. Unless we find another Nigel L. Who I thought was awful in his first two games so maybe we already have - or will.

Kone offers a lot. So does Udoh.

I am a little worried that we might have another 10-15 games of Matt trying to get players to fit a system he likes before doing what he did last season and going with a system that fitted the players he had. Hopefully that lesson was learned though.

Finally was that ML on the pitch just before kickoff? In the shades?

• Did anyone see the young guys in the red and green tracksuits?, I wonder if they had anything to do with our new owner.

• edited August 18

If Josh C is the best creative midfield playmaker in the house then the recruitment policy needs a review! He is great in breaking up play, the best we have, but wasted further forward. Don’t see anyone on the injury list to come in as playmaker? We need a 2024/5 Sam Saunders on loan imo.

• I’d wondered about them. If ML was in the house it would have been nice to give him a cheer and know what was going on.

Or maybe 1800 people shouting “Who the fuck are you” wouldn’t have been a great look? Or should that be sound?

• Pattenden will never be a first choice fullback. His whole approach is to attack. Wingback or attacking midfielder I reckon.

Hope to see Declan Skura on Tuesday.

• Funny start to the season. The big caveat to yesterday, as mentioned, is that Brum have spent a shedload of money on some very technically superior players for L1 level. And for a 20min or so period in the second half that really showed.

We look like we can cause any team problems when getting the ball out wide and into the box but our defensive fragility is concerning. I’m still not sure what the Bloomball identity is. We broke well at times but lack pace and penetration both through the middle and on the wings (GMac fairly anonymous and Bartolo struggled to beat his man when he came on) bar a few enigmatic moments from Sadlier. Vokes is a great Plan B but will his goals earn him the main slot?

• edited August 18

Yeah, not short of strikers right now just need to fall upon the best formation to get the best out of them, no shame in losing close games to these two but pressure will inevitably build if 2 becomes 5 or 6 without a win.

• Apparently a young Birmingham fan was injured by the seat thrown from the back of the away end.

Hopefully they get an image of the perpetrator.

pointless vandalism leading to injury to their own fans =Thick as mince.

• edited August 18

Watching the "highlights" last night and again this morning, something struck me which has just added to the weight of disappointment and frustration from yesterday's defeat.

The three goals we conceded all came from individual errors, which were then exacerbated by their team-mates not covering for them and making further errors.

The first goal sees Daniel Harvie embarrassed by Ethan Laird, yet instead of digging his mate out of a hole, Joe Low inexplicably flicks his toe at the ball half-heartedly as if it were a kick around in a playground, gifting Alfie May an equaliser.

The second goal sees Jasper Pattenden fail to cut out a pass to Ayumu Yokoyama and is then beaten far too easily. Pattenden, who is a young player and not a natural right-back, could really have done with his Captain getting him out of trouble. Instead we see Luke Harris, who is ten yards behind Luke Leahy when Yokoyama receives the ball, run past the dawdling Leahy to sweep home the cross. Even then Nathan Bishop gets both hands to the shot and should have kept it out.

The third goal sees Jack Grimmer caught out far too easily by a simple pass. Bishop this time does prevent Koji Miyoshi from scoring but look what happens on the rebound. Tyreeq Bakinson is caught on his heels allowing Willum Thor Willumsson to smash home under no pressure.

I've seen some complaining that it's not fair, Birmingham City have got too much money, we can't compete with them. It's totally irrelevant. We've spent the last few years competing with teams that have similar resources. That's because money can't buy heart and desire. Harris wanted it more than Leahy for the second goal, he was mentally switched on to the situation and took advantage of an opponent who wasn't concentrating. The same is true of the third goal. Low's error was pure panic and symptomatic of a player lacking in confidence. How often did we see players bailing out their team-mates under Gareth Ainsworth? This sort of thing wasn't accepted, we had higher standards, we played as a team. Yesterday we did not.

We have too many players at the moment who can't be relied upon. Their team-mates can't rely on then, the manager can't rely on them and neither can we. If Leahy wasn't Captain and signed for a significant fee, he would be dropped, and that's exactly what should happen against Rotherham United.

I'm not sure we can afford to drop Low at the moment, given yet another injury to Ryan Tafazolli, a situation which is slipping into a tragicomedy. Low doesn't deserve to start however. Another problem to add to a multitude of problems for Matt Bloomfield.

I'm annoying myself by harping back to Ainsworth. He gone on and I'm (almost) over it. Yet when the contrast is as clear as day and night, why can't the players and managerial team see it and sort it out?

• Couldn’t get my head around why Bloomfield didn’t revert to the back three when Tafazolli went off yesterday. Grimmer is much better in a back 3 than a 2. Pattenden is much better at wing back than full back. Leahy has struggled in midfield and there was a good opportunity to swing momentum in our favour by partnering Kone with Udoh up front. Sadlier had a great game and it would have been a shame to take him off but I felt the back 5 would have handled their fluidity up front a bit better. Either way, I’m still impressed with our start to the season. There’s no way these sloppy errors at the back will persist all season. Looking forward to seeing what the younger lads have got on Tuesday night.

• I recall a while ago being at a trust meeting following some apes smashing up seats. A question was asked if we billed the club responsible. The answer was along the lines of ‘we try’. I don’t understand that if the coked up apes of Birmingham smash up our facilities why there cannot be an agreement across the board that an invoice is sent and payment is made return.

I doubt if these goons will ever correlate their club’s money being reduced by their actions but at least we won’t be picking up the tab.

• Not being funny he was given pelters for this last season

• We will probably be blamed on the basis that our stewarding was inadequate.

• Or Mikheil Lomtadze. Was that him waving to the crowd before the kickoff?

• edited August 18

They get an FA fine for the blue flare. We bill for the seats and take the usable ones out of the top left corner of the Frank Adams. It’s an unfortunate part of playing ‘big time clubs’ (in the third tier!).