Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• Dan Udoh seems a thoughtful, likeable guy. I haven’t watched the whole interview. Just enough to get the flavour. I always feel slightly concerned when I see that a player has been at so many different clubs (14 in 10 years according to Wikipedia) but, at 27 and after three years at Shrewsbury, he has probably, for want of a better term, come of age. He averaged 10 goals a season at Shrewsbury too.

https://youtu.be/dfbE1YQUTAs?si=KDjTrNitEd0epDEu

• edited July 3

Now we’re just using some geek in an office with an apple Mac instead!

I Jest, of course. Being a geek and working in the IT sector for a long time, I whole heartedly agree that leveraging data and tech as best we can could be a key differentiator for recruitment at this level.

Edit: Threw up in my mouth a little bit for using the phrase "key differentiator" with no irony.

• I didn’t throw up - luckily haven’t for at least thirty years - but the pedantic streak, inflicted on me by schooling (in the broadest sense) and early background, always kicks in when I see ‘best’ used as a comparative rather than a superlative. As a superlative, there are no degrees. “….as well as…” is fine.

In the wider scheme of things, who the hell cares. I know. I really wish I didn’t have such trivial linguistic hang-ups. Much more significant is the growing tendency for comparative adjectives to have ‘more’ put in front of them - eg more easier, more heavier, more better even.

The fêted James O’Brien, for all his articulacy and way with words, is regularly guilty of using phrases that, logically, convey the opposite of what is intended. An example would be “nobody’s going to make that mistake, I don’t think.” He also frequently puts a superfluous ‘that’ after ‘albeit’.

I wish I hadn’t started this.

• Language changes Micra. You gotta let it go.

• They are just brilliant. I even like the 'swooped' description in the official news release, as it implies something from a great height plucking something from a low point.

• You would really really struggle working in any given office these days.

The amount of people who are incapable of understanding even basics like when to use "run" and when to use "ran", is truly baffling.

Let alone the more intricate stuff that regularly grates your cheese.

• More better is ridiculous.

Everyone knows betterings or even betterations are the words to use.

• The absolute worst is saying 'i could care less,' when you mean 'i couldn't cre less.'

• people shouldn’t stand in the way of the betterification of the language.

• I'm neither a massive fan of spelling and grammar policing or clever enough to do it myself but you have a great point. Having to explain things several times to people who nodded along quite happily the first time is draining.

• edited July 3

As a guy who has been in America for years I'm surprised you mention this one.

As while it sounds dim to us, any American will tell you it's a shortened version of "I could care less, but I'd have to try".

• Come on now, there's no beneficiality in making up words.

• People who say 'You've got another thing coming' when they mean 'You've got another think coming' should not be allowed to have children.

• Both variants are acceptable, but I’m definitely in the ‘thing’ camp.

• Thing just makes more sense as an expression.

• edited July 3

I find interest in descriptive words like overwhelmed and underwhelmed that have statements made such as "why is there no whelmed?" when actually both whelmed and overwhelmed are centuries old but underwhelmed is a recent invention. Whelm and overwhelm often refer to the surge of a tide/waves over something, so in that literal context there could not be an 'underwhelm' (there are other definitions too, but this is perhaps the most common). Since overwhelmed was eventually used more and more in an emotional or psychological context, underwhelmed was invented as an opposite.

Another one I liked from a friend of mine - "what is a 'smithereen', and why do we only used it for things being smashed into?" I had to look it up, and though it does mean 'fragments', it's origin is uncertain, though speculated to be Irish.

When words have no apparent opposite they are called 'unpaired' words, and those are also fun. You can be reckless or gormless but not reckful or gormful. You can debunk something, but nothing can be bunked in the first place. However, most or all of these have their roots in an original opposite that was lost over time. So for instance, in America 'bunkum' is a kind of version of 'BS' or 'complete bollocks'. So then to de-bunk is to counter that.

• My (soon to be) six year old daughter has better grammar than the modern lingo, and she says things like 'normbally' and 'once apalla time'.

• I know grown adults that work in the NHS that say their place of work is a Hospickal.

With Chimberlys on the top for the smoke to come out of. Presumably.

• Getting back to rumours - I would be truly in XTC if we were - making plans for Nigel.

• Sadly I think Lonny is more likely to play for Wolves than us - and I don't think he is likely to play for Wolves. I expect Champo loan for him. Some Wolves fans do have him top of mind, though:

• My pet peeve, people who say "pacific" instead of "specific". First against the wall.

• Enjoyed it at work a while back when a Geordie colleague was dictating the wording another colleague was sending in an email.

He does the pacific thing and she actually wrote it in the email. Great stuff.

• Seeing as we are sharing sayings that wind us up - two from me, ‘run don’t walk’ and the word ick!

• edited July 3

The another think coming phrase originates from a longer version saying "if he/she thinks (whatever)....they've another think coming"

Thing isn't at all acceptable and is a mere mishearing / misspelling and utterly makes no sense.

• Loose instead of lose makes me want to smash humanity with a hammer.

And I was reminded once again during the Austria-Turkey game how much it infuriates me when commentators/pundits/anyone says yard when they mean foot.

• Their the worst.

I thought I was fairly unique in thinking that.