Skip to content

Mikheil Lomtadze confirmed as one of three new directors

Comments

• I think we could amend slightly to “championship and/or debt ridden’…

• I must confess to finding reading @aloysius’s posts a guilty pleasure.

They have a way of writing that admits to having zero evidence or knowledge to back up their ‘guesses’ but then spins them to present them as definitive ‘facts’.

If they are (very) quick they may be able to secure some extra-curricular work out there….

• My inability to comprehend the last paragraph, @bookertease, is frustrating.

• Sorry @micra

i was suggesting that their apparent skill (I do actually like the way @aloysius does it) they have in presenting made up stuff as being ‘true’ is something that currently seems to be lacking in that there politics thing going on at the moment.

The quality I have seen pretty much across the board in doing this is sorely lacking

• Gotcha, @bookertease. Good old-fashioned Alastair Campbell spin doctoring.

• “Disgraceful” as that open letter may have been, I think it’s fair to say that it produced results. A wealthier owner might have been more inclined to sack GA on the spot.

• You aren't wrong, as unfair as it would have been in the wider context it happens up and down the country.

I could be mistaken but I don't think it was only Ainsworth or the players he was having a pop at tbh I think even Pete got some of his uncles wrath after a game that he had joined the commentary on that wasn't entirely up to standard and conveyed a bit too much gallows humour and an air of already being on the beach. Robs address was basically "I'm still paying you, do your bloody jobs" and it seemed to work.

• I happened to be in the area yesterday and dropped in on my way home.

Gate was unlocked so I drove in, no sign of anything Wycombe in the grounds or on the buildings, no Wycombe cars/buses in the car park.

The only people onsite were the Police Dog unit in two vans. The pitches looked superb and though the main building onsite was old it is much bigger than our current site.

The area south of Sipson Lane is huge and separate from the main facility with numerous pitches in place but no buildings. The sensible long term plan would be to buy this land and gain planning permission for the necessary buildings and facilities needed for an academy.

Less than 30 mins from Handy Cross too.

• Seems that despite it being owned and used by imperial college Chelsea and QPR have been based there so maybe they share timings or as you say there are separate bits. A 5 year lease presumably gives us enough time to see about building one elsewhere although 5 years is a very long time in football.

• Contracts were exchanged with site owners Imperial College in July 2020 and the freehold was acquired by QPR Holdings Ltd the following December. Demolition work then finally began in February 2022.

The site is more than double the size of QPR’s previous Harlington base, which was also owned by Imperial College, and had been regarded as unfit for purpose for some time.

-———-

”…which was also owned by Imperial College…”

This is from an article that I read online - past tense, suggests maybe Imperial College no longer owns it? I see that QPR Women still play there (or at least that’s what this article suggests).

• I think thats referring to QPR’s new training ground in Heston

• As I went on record to say before, I would have liked to have heard from the new owners soon after they took over.

Today, actions speak louder than words. I’m ticking this off as a “we have heard from the new owners”.

Devil will be in the details (who actually owns it, how it’s funded, how long for blah blah blah blah) but that’s for another day. This is overwhelmingly a positive in my eyes.

Tick one more thing off from The Dancing Yaks 2024 preseason bingo card (infrastructure announcements)

• very good statement of intent from the new owners, let the rollercoaster begin!

• Appears from the announcement that the new training ground will be owned by the university - we presumably are paying rent and that for a while at least we are committed to also renting the existing training ground.

Seemingly major costs here in (presumably) rent and cost of opening an academy which will surely inevitably be cash negative for a number of years at least until the kids that go through it graduate and can be sold.

Not much that supporters can do but watch and hope this all works out well. It could be great, it could be something else. Time will no doubt tell....

• I think this is a massive sign of intent from the new owners.

Wish them the very best of luck in their endeavours in what I hope is the beginning of a long term involvement.

Time to share the love with our Georgian and Kazakh cousins on all things Chairboy related.

I think I read Kazakhstan was introduced to fitba by the English, so football is truly coming home.

Need some proper Kazakh hat merch in the club shop.

Exciting times under some serious people.

• Apparently, the Devil in the detail thing ISN'T for another day.

Have a day off. Jeez. Theres literally no info out there to speculate on other than we're moving to a purpose built training facility. Today is a day for excitement. And I'm cynical about almost everything

• Looks like Sutton United were using the facility last season. Here's a walk around from their YouTube Channel:

https://youtu.be/H4lYqp46kag?si=MO-0RvEp2mqx1zCa

• Wouldn’t surprise me if they continue to use it.

18 full size pitches is a big site, can’t see us using all of it all the time. Unless we are planning 2 players to train on each pitch.

• You can be excited for the future while other people wonder if this is wise or how we can afford any of this. This materially increases costs as Dev has set out in a way that is unlikely to yield immediate returns.

The short answer is we are owned by a billionaire who can afford to suck this up for decades and see us into a very different bracket if he wants but you'd have had to be living under a rock to not realise that those that are seemingly able don't always follow through in respect of football finances.

• edited June 10

On the other hand, Sutton United seem to also use the site, can afford to do so, we haven’t bought it, we Could be just renting space like companies do at WeWork office space sites.

Theres no Evidence there’s any plan for a billionaire to suck up this site for decades. Just looking for a logical increase in training capabilities at a cost effective site while growing and fleshing out the academy plans.

The facts for today are we have a better training ground than we had yesterday. Everything else is just speculation

Enjoy that. Have a day off and wait for the detail to come out. Then we can question it.

• Next up is an improvement on Cressex Petrol Station.

There's a Shell in West Drayton that can take over, as our new players land at Heathrow and make the short journey to Harlington.

• It’s a shame not to be based in the Wycombe area during the week, but it seems like we’ve got a great facility without the expense of building a new one.

• edited June 10

We were losing money already (£1.5m a year at last shout) and are now renting two training grounds, for an academy we have been told for years we can't afford. The guy is super rich so we may be fine or we might unearth some players we sell on for good money, bit odd disputing that and telling others to have a day off, feel free to agree, disagree or scroll past.

• edited June 10

on the other hand, it might be in a 12 month contract with Break clauses, which mean there's little exposure to all the stuff your making up/fearing in your head.

Wait.for.the.detail.

Then you might have something to actually chew on and complain about. Or maybe there will be no detail, which in and of itself maybe something to worry about.

Or just use the facts we have which I stated above. We have a better training ground today they we had yesterday. Have a day off. Gather information to actually be worred about. Or scroll past yourself.

• edited June 10

The club statement said it's for 5 years and they still have the other one, are you saying they are making that up or that the last financial returns were fabricated?

Fairly serious allegations, why can't you just concentrate on the better facilities, less injuries and the prospect of better players coming through.

• Why should we ever get the detail though?

• Sounds like a hell of a facility with indoor options, gym and all sorts of stuff.

Will also stop my Reading pal from sending me a text every time he passes the current training ground and laughing how bootleg a set up it looks.