Skip to content

Squad contract situation

Comments

• Certainly feels like the summer where we find out whether Lomtadze is invested in taking WWFC foward, or if he just lent Couhig some money he found down the back of his (presumably very large) sofa.

• Either of those situations will result in a large amount of money being spent!

• #AnnounceKvaratskhelia

• I know I should be excited about the prospect of Georgian riches, but it feels to me as though the leagues are getting even more crazy, and L1 might soon be 'Championship-lite' (if it's not already), where it costs a fortune just to try and keep up in the division.

As of next season we may have, for the sake of argument (if Bolton go up):

Championship sized clubs:

1. Birmingham
    2. Huddersfield
    3. Barnsley
    4. Reading

Very solid League One clubs with the ability to challenge for promotion regularly:

1. Blackpool
    2. Rotherham
    3. Wigan
    4. Peterborough
    5. Oxford
    6. Lincoln
    7. Leyton Orient
    8. Charlton

Big spenders coming up from L2:

1. Wrexham
    2. Stockport
    3. Mansfield (?)

That is 15 of 23 opposition clubs right there, and even the remaining nine have some solid clubs, such as Bristol Rovers, Northampton, etc. It just seems as though L1 may end up becoming every bit the roulette wheel bunfight that the Champo already is.

• During the whole training ground situation, didn't Rob say in an interview that he wanted to make an announcement(s) on the ownership/ board movements and members before the end of the season? If my memory is correct, it only leaves him a few days left to do this

• Don't worry, the end-of-season fireworks are going to spell out LOMTADZE.

• edited April 23

Lomtadze to come running out the tunnel, jumping through a big paper version of our badge, NFL style with fireworks and disco light show. Just before kick off. At noon. In the sunshine..

• As much as I would like this, the sustainability rules wouldn’t allow anyone to just pump money into the squad on day one. Even if they are a Georgian billionaire.

Pumping money into infrastructure, that’s outside of the sustainability rules - see potential purchase of a certain training facility- which could then be used to facilitate an increase spending on the squad via new revenue streams (new academy, training ground to develop players, making the proposition -I.e the club - more valuable by increasing capacity as an example) is a much more likely approach.

Thats not to say we can’t have a good summer of signings based on what we have now. Matt certainly had an excellent January Window and could have a similar summer.

But if the Georgian does come on board officially in the next few months, don’t expect a Man City style flurry of headline signings. We won’t get league one Robinho.

• Dan Rice has previously worked at Fulham, Arsenal, Southampton and Everton within their academies. If he’s coming here it will be to recruit players for our Development Squad and/or future academy setup.

• The development squad stalled a little in the summer. I am not sure how we see it going forward but maybe Rice joining is the sign that we are going to go for it. This is the problem with being outside the academy system, we don't have regular opposition.

• I wonder who of the half dozen or so development players will be offered a contract. Skura and Clark might be the only ones.

• Looking at Robinho's latest "career move" I'm not sure that's a transfer we should be looking for! Gavin Grant anyone..?

• Declan Skura and Taylor Clark are already under contract for next season. As are Laurie Shala, Christie Ward and Jack Young.

Jack Wakely, Luca Woodhouse and Max Cavana are out of contract this summer.

• Cheers. I very much took it in the spirit you intended.

• Jack Young is the succession plan for when Bloomfield gets the Ipswich job in 2035

• Has Joe Jacobson got his coaching badges yet?

• The only current player that I know is getting his badges is Jason McCarthy.

Didn't JJ plan to be an accountant?

• I’d forgotten all about Christie Ward.

I can’t imagine we’ll re-sign Wakely or Woodhouse. Maybe Cavana.

• edited April 23

I'm not sure why you feel the need to debate like this. You know the meaning of the word "nonsensical" (adjective: making no sense) and yet don't address it in your response, which also indulges in the self same speculation you criticised my original post for (This covers your points 1-3).

point 4) We currently have four goalkeepers under contract, although three of them come to an end this summer, so it makes sense that they might leave. Furthermore, Max Stryjek has stated in a recent interview with Crewe Alexandra that he suspects his contract situation might explain why he has been dropped.

Jack Grimmer and Jason McCarthy are out-of-contract this summer, so it makes sense that they might leave. (FWIW: I expect Grimmer to sign a new contract, I expect McCarthy to leave).

Kane Vincent-Young has started just 12 league games this season, mostly due to injury. Matt Bloomfield signed cover for him in Saxon Earley, in addition to Joe Jacobson. Earley and Jacobson are likely to leave this summer, and if so, we would need to sign two left-backs to replace them.

We have four first-choice centre-backs, regardless of any cover. If four were to leave, they would need to be replaced.

Beryly Lubala and Kieran Sadlier would be our only two wingers should Chem Campbell, David Wheeler, Garath McCleary and Gideon Kodua leave this summer. Wheeler and McCleary in particular would need to be replaced. Brandon Hanlan is more a central striker than winger and in any case is unlikely to be fit for the start of next season.

If the following 23 players were all to leave this summer, we would need to sign more than a dozen players.

Franco Ravizzoli (out of contract)

Max Stryjek (out of contract)

Nathan Shepperd (out of contract)

Chris Forino-Joseph (out of contract)

Jack Grimmer (out of contract)

Jack Wakely (out of contract)

Jason McCarthy (out of contract)

Joe Jacobson (out of contract)

Joe Low (under contract but subject to bid(s) in January and could be sold)

Kane Vincent-Young (out of contract)

Nigel Lonwijk (end of loan)

Ryan Tafazolli (out of contract)

Saxon Earley (end of loan)

Chem Campbell (end of loan)

David Wheeler (out of contract)

Freddie Potts (end of loan)

Garath McCleary (out of contract)

Gideon Kodua (end of loan)

Luca Woodhouse (out of contract)

Max Cavana (out of contract)

Dale Taylor (end of loan)

D'Mani Mellor (out of contract)

Sam Vokes (out of contract)

Whilst some of these departures are more or less likely than others, none of them are nonsensical, for the reasons stated in brackets.

The playing budget is likely to be reduced, based on recent losses (published in club accounts) and comments made by Rob Couhig in recent interviews.

• Don’t disagree with much of this but I’ve seen nothing to suggest the playing budget would be reduced - actually to the contrary, which is a possible concern in itself.

i’m expecting an eventful summer helped by departures of high earners like Vokes and Tafazolli. But I don’t see the overall budget being reduced especially with a billionaire apparently taking over.

• Someone on FB said they talked to Jack Grimmer at the Carlisle game and he said he is under contract for next season.

• I reckon Jack Grimmer might be the next Wycombe player to get a testimonial

• I’m staying positive at least until all the summer comings and goings have been sorted out. There’s surely enough to be concerned about in this troubled world without worrying unnecessarily about unpredictable personnel changes at the football club.